Is this normal play?

Hi,
I never had two dogs at the same time. My friend is keeping his puppy with me( may be I wil steel it from him :) ) He is 2 months male Alaskan Malamute and my Akita 5months female wants to play with him all the time. He have his own crate but when I put him in the same crate with her(with divider) he seems more calmer and does not howl(May be because his crate is plastic and hers is cage). She wants to take his toys all the time :)
This is a video for them

Comments

• The play looks normal to me?
  • Adorable. My puppy had scabs on her cheeks after playing with other pups. They just like to bite each other's faces.
  • Your dog has good social behaviors. By lying down on the ground for the smaller puppy she is "handicapping" herself to play at his level. Very nice.
  • @sachismom , @poeticdragon thank you. They play very hard and I was afraid she might hurt him thats why I was asking. She is jealous from him and she wants to be out when I take him out ( I didnt know dogs can be jealous :) )
  • That looks like really nice play, for both of them. Very nice.

This is my opinion on play: if it makes you uncomfortable, then interrupt it. To stop play, call both dogs to you and give them a treat, then "release" them back to play.

However, I personally see no reason why you would stop that play, it was very nice. When the puppy was pulling on the Akita's mouth, I would just let that happen - if the Akita didn't like it, he would tell the puppy to stop. This will teach the puppy some boundaries.

----
  • Your pups play very nicely with each other, the way the akita is during the video I especially like.

Like what Brad said, if there is something you are uncomfortable with then interrupt it. For example, my Tikaani and Miyu play very well together but I will interrupt the play if they grab for each others' back legs, one has a bad hip and the other has a bad knee so I don't want to risk making it worse.

Here is an old video of Tikaani and Miyu playing (excuse the mess, we were fixing a room at the time), for you to compare to:

• It looks like very normal and appropriate play to me. Here are a couple videos I've taken of dog play, sorry for the low quality.

• edited July 2012
    I let them play this afternoon and I saw some blood on the puppy, he wasn't bleeding neither her. I think it was scratch from her lips(His teeth is sharp).Do you have these accidents also with your dogs?
  • It's probably from the puppy teething.
  • Ugh, I remember when Miyu was teething, Tikaani's neck was covered in Miyu's blood and pretty smelly.
  • I agree with others - the play looks very healthy.

In other news; AAAH! Malamute puppy!
    Malamutes and Akita seem to compliment one another very well. My Mal absolutely loves Akitas where he can sometimes be combative with other dogs. He always gets along with Akitas and has a very give-and-take "wrestling" style of play.
  • I remember when Sachi was teething she left blood on the other dog's neck, but both were perfectly fine. These videos really make me want to have 2 dogs.