Shiba cured from resource guarding...

edited July 2012 in Shiba Inu (柴犬)
My shiba (Kiyomi) used to be really bad with guarding her food, to the point where she was almost food aggressive. She would chase any dog (or child) out of the room that her food was in. Never bit, but would nudge with her nose or push with her body, and start whining if they didn't leave. I recently moved in with a friend who has a pet cat (I posted about it on the shiba side http://www.shibainuforum.org/forum/discussion/10149/introducing-2yr-old-shiba-to-a-cat#Item_4). Anyways, she seems to not care about her food at all anymore. I will catch the cat eating from her bowl with her just laying near by not caring at all. It's pretty awesome. (: ... not that he steals her food, but that she's okay with it.

Comments

• I'm so happy to hear you never gave up!

I recently had to put my shiba down because his resource guarding got really bad. After three years of training and countless blood tests, we found the cause to be a hormone imbalance in his brain that we couldn't fix.
  • Awe, sorry to hear about your shiba. ):

but I am glad she was able to get over it. I'm planning on getting a new puppy within the next year and I was getting concerned about how she would react.