Collar and Harness= Depressed pup??

edited July 2012 in Kai Ken (甲斐犬)
Has anyone experienced their dog suddenly becoming depressed because you put a collar and harness on them?

Goro would be running around and happy one moment and sad and suicidal the next when we get him ready for a walk. LOL He is totally fine once we leave the house. He acts totally normal, its just inside the house or in the yard that he acts like a long planned trip to Disney World was canceled or something! He moves very slowly and hunches his back. It's the weirdest thing ever. I've loosened both the collar and harness to see if he's just not comfortable with it and still nothing changes. I put the collar on him and he stays in the same position for a while and then slowly goes downstairs to his crate to hide.

He seems to enjoy walking and riding in the car. I have no idea what the problem could be!

Comments

• So let me get this straight. It happens when you put on the harness, right?

It's most likely that he isn't accustomed to the harness. I imagine it feels "weird" when you put it on him... it could go away over time, or you may have to bribe him a little to get him to like it.

My dog is usually "naked" so he acts really funny if I put a collar on him. He flops on the floor and gives me a really sad face, or rolls around. Sometimes he scratches at it too.
  • edited July 2012
    It happens when I put on the collar and harness (we put on both). He's been wearing them both ever since we got him at 8 weeks (he is 15 weeks now).
  • Tikaani does that, every time we put the harness on him he has to rub his side and neck on the things but is totally fine once we head out the door. My pups are naked in the house as well, so Tikaani is not really used to wearing the harness that much. But when we did have him wear it consistently so he could get used to it, which he did, he would still rub his body all over everything when it was time to go for a walk. It seems that some behaviors become a habit to maintain the routine they are used to, you could try a similar experiment with Goro (wear the harness/collar all the time) and see if it has become part of the "preparing for a walk" ritual.
  • I put on their collars/harnesses/packs whatever as the last thing I do before we all go out the door. I found that while they are eager to put on their gear- because they know were going hiking- if they stand around 'dressed' too long waiting for me to get my rear in gear, even in just their bell collars, they stress a bit- panting, pacing. I think in this case its because the collars and bells= action and there's no action yet. Like Pavlov's dogs salivating when the food isnt there yet- if salivation is the first step of digestion, it is notable that Pavlovs dogs arent just excited about food, they are physiologically already digesting food that isnt there! My guys want to run and GO, and their systems inside are amping, running and flowing as if they are already on trail- but we arent actually going yet because I still need my socks and boots, which is frustrating to them. I dont even like the bells to ring as I move gear around, till I am ready to actually put the collars on and go right out the door. They can tolerate me getting my backpack together or my boots on, and dance around happily w/o panting and stressing but its when the collars actually go ON that they know they are coming too and if we dont get going they get stress-faced.
  • We usually do put on their gear and then head out the door, but Goro delays it with his "emotions" lol. He usually sits at lighting speed when asked, but when he has his collar and lease on, having him sit by the door so that we have leave is almost impossible! He just stays there with a depressed expression and his tail deflated!

But I take off the collar and harness so that he can stay home he runs to the door and waits! So he wants to go out, but only if he's naked!
  • Try treating with peanut butter on a wooden spoon, put the collar and harness on and then immediately bring out the spoon of peanut butter and coax him out the door and that is what I did, also I couldn't pull on the leash at all or he would sit down, and put on the brakes. Now he walks fine. If you don't force either piece of gear on him, that helps too, not sure if he struggles when the gear is being put on. Not sure if you are or not but also try not to inadvertently reward the behavior by giving him, love or affection when he is acting that way. Saying things like awww poor baby let me kiss you all better. Is a reward. If ya know what I mean. Lol hope this helps.
  • When I first got my dog she was six years old and would not tolerate a collar or harness. I tried putting a soft bandanna on her and she tolerated it. When she got use to the bandanna I put her collar on over it so the bandanna was between her and the collar. After a few weeks I removed the bandanna and shes loved her collar ever since. She still brings me her bandanna to put on every once and a while but if I take her collar off to give her a bath she goes looking for it. If a bandanna doesn't work try an old tshirt or small towel.
  • @T_Dog He doesn't struggle or runs away. He lets us put on the collar and harness without a problem. It's just the way he acts when he has it on inside the house that's really bizarre! Once he's outside he's totally fine and doesn't even notice them on.

@oddball The collar and harness don't seem to bother him. Once he walkouts the door he acts normal. He doesn't scratch it or rubs against stuff.
  • How does he act if you just put one on, like just the collar or just the harness? If just having one on doesn't affect him, you can try putting one on inside the house and put the other on outside where he is acting more normal. It could also break up the routine by doing it this way.
  • @calia I've tried putting just the collar on and he starts his depressed marathon. I'll tried putting on just the harness and see what happens.
  • Just leave it on him. He'll get over it. Here's Rakka after I put on her webmaster harness. She's got the emo look down pat. She even has "mascara" (just her natural black eye-lining, I always thought it looked like make-up), lol. Really, though, we start our walk and she gets over it. If she doesn't, I just leave it on her until she acts normal again.

Untitled
  • Lol she's so darn cute! We put on his harness and collar and started whipping out treats and he got over it after a while.