anesthesia and akitas

I've heard that Akita's can be sensitive to anesthesia, and looking around the forum, I see they aren't the only nihon ken.

Is there any certain anesthesia medications that Akita's might particularly be prone to/ shouldn't be mixed together? Or is it just anesthesia in general that might be bad.
Is there a way you can find out if your pup is sensitive before going into the vets office?

Comments

• My dogs except Mosura have all been under anaesthesia with no issue. Obviously every spayed or neutered Akita has as well, and the vast majority of puppies sold in our clubs are for pets and get sterilized...
  • Good things to know. The worrisome part of me worries, but I guess I didn't consider how many Akitas are spayed and neutered and have obviously lived.
    Now I feel kind of silly asking, hehe
  • If you're worried, you can always ask for a prelim bloodwork to be done to make sure your dog doesn't have an adverse reaction to anesthesia. I did that for Ichi (the Shiba and my first dog) to alay my worries.

Jesse
  • Ninja, my AA, was very lethargic after surgery. Besides that, she was just fine.
  • My Kai ken, genji, I guess almost bit the dust when he was neutered. The vet said if ever he has anesthesia again to let the doctor know he's very sensitive. Maybe the Japanese breeds are super sensitive.
  • I've seen reputable sources talk about sensitivity anesthesia as a possibility in Akitas (and therefore, to my mind, in other NKs) and so I am super cautious. I think the prelim bloodwork is the way to go with them if you want to be sure.

(sorry, I'd quote my sources here, but I just got back from a trip and can't remember right now and don't have the energy to look it up.....I'm guessing I saw it one of two places: Barbara Bouyet's book on the Akita or, perhaps more likely, from something by Dr. Jean Dodds).
  • If you are really worried, you can always ask for a milder anesthetic or find a vet that uses it in another practice (http://www.abbottanimalhealth.com/veterinary-professionals/products/anesthesia/sevoflo.html). The nice thing with this product is that you can gas the animal down very gently without the struggle, instead of using an injectible induction like valium and ketamine. It's much easier on their bodies.

Mostly it boils down to the Vet and the staff and how competant they are (the Vet techs often induce, prep and monitor, the Vet just does the major procedures). Ask if you can observe the surgery.

Dogs unattended during anesthesia are at a huge risk of adverse events compared to dogs that are well and continuously monitored (O2 sats, dose tapered to suit the individual dog). Skinny and elderly/very young animals tend to be very sensitive, so require lighter doses usually.
  • My AA was just spay (June 8). She did fine with the anesthetic. I really like and trust my vet, and I asked a lot of questions. The vet tech called me as soon as it was finished to let me know she did just fine. The other thing I liked was that they performed it in the morning so I was able to bring her home by 3:30 in the afternoon. She was MUCH better by morning.
  • Good things to know, thanks! I like Dodds, she is very reputable.

I ask because I was going to have some preliminary hip x-rays done for Toki's OFA stuff and my vet wanted me to pay 700 and inject about 10-12 different kinds of anesthesia into him for this procedure. Needless to say, not going to happen.