Mika Monster and Koda Bear

edited November 2012 in Kai Ken (甲斐犬)
This is going to be a bit of a fail because for some reason my memory card reader on my computer is not working. I will have to get the pics off tonight. I'm hoping to borrow an external one from my graphic designer at work today. If not, I will grab one. I wanted to at least get my intro wording done because the dogs keep me really busy in the evenings.

I'm Tara, and I have a three year old Kai male, Koda from Snowglobe Acres. Koda is the brother of Tora and the Uncle to Toshi both on the forum. Koda is probably one of the biggest Kais in the US at 21 1/2" at the withers and 54 pds. He's a big, sensitive, gentle boy who has been my soulmate since he arrived. I couldn't have asked for a more well behaved dog to live with. The past three years have been a joy to share my home with him.

Last Wednesday we welcomed Mika our little girl into the family. She is from Yamabushi Kennels, @brada1878 and @creativejen. She's a littermate to Yamabushi no Kunai on the forum. Mika is a complete joy! She is flippin' adorable and too much fun. She's still pretty tiny, but her size will never stop her. She's ready to play with the big dogs and kill every toy she gets. She jumps on the couch on her own, opens closet doors to get my shoes out, and goes to the sliding glass door to go out to go potty. At my parent's house, she lets herself out the doggy door to do her business. She gets really proud of what a big girl she is. She's doing really well in her new home and I think we've got a really good schedule going. Oh, and @CarabooA she sleeps through the night. I have to wake her up in the morning. he he.

Koda and I both adore her, and she's been a great addition to the family. My parents also have a Kai/Kai mixed with something possibly that is a rescue. Mei came to me two years ago as a foster. She ended up moving in with my parents and they kept her. Mei thinks that Mika is the best toy that ever came into the house. They are pretty rowdy together and constantly chase each other. It's cute to watch them go around a corner with Mei chasing Mika and then come back around with Mika chasing Mei. Mei's a sharp little dog. She tried to correct Mika when she went too close to her crate and Mika just turned around and corrected Mei right back. I've never seen Mei aka Maniac ever get stunned and speechless, but she just couldn't believe a puppy would correct her. It was hilarious. I knew right then and there that she would be just fine in our crazy family of Kais.

That's my update/re-intro without pics of Koda and Mika. I'll get them up this evening.

Comments

• So happy for you and Koda :) Glad she's doing awesome with her potting! I guess that Goro thinks that carpet is the same as grass and he pees inside all the time... Less now than before, he still has "accidents" lol
  • Nice to meet you Tara :P
  • @jujee LMAO. We need to get the doggies together! Mika wants to scare Shakko.
  • Hi Tara! That's great to read that Mei accepted Mika so well. We knew Koda would, but I was not sure Mei would be as excited... That's awesome! :o)
  • @brada1878 I was a little worried about Mei as well. She always seems to get along with all the other dogs in boarding. She even chases the little tiny ones around :-O But in her own home? I was worried, but I was also hoping that she'd realize that her and Mika are a little alike. This morning, I dropped the dogs off at my mom's house before work and within two minutes they were off chasing each other around the table. Koda still stands watch over them though. His eyes are always on her, and he doesn't want any strangers to go near her.

Honestly the only problem we've had is with Koda. He has turned into quite the ass. If he hears anyone outside he guards the house and growls and barks, running to Mika and then to the doors and windows to keep strangers at bay. I took Mika out on Saturday to pee and two delivery guys were outside with a stove and Koda went off on them true Kai style. He needs to chill a little bit with the overreacting in front of Mika. Without her on walks, he's back to his trustworthy self.
  • I'm so glad things are going well for you Tara!! :o) They sound like they are doing great!! Pictures! Pictures!! lol

Kunai just today went to the door to whine to go out. He's been very good as long as I get him out every 45-60 minutes and right when he wakes up... but there have been a few accidents. I was SO SO proud of him to go to the sliding door and growl/cry to go out this morning!!! He got a big ol' juicy liver treat for that!!! lol

OH!!! Guess what!! So, I finally adjusted to getting up so early and was actually up before the dogs about 4 mornings ago... I found out that it isn't Kunai waking up that early - I got up to find that it is Kitora clawing at him in his crate and making the high pitched whiney sounds!!! I couldn't believe it!!! (She sleeps on the bed already - only stays in crate when we are gone, so is free to get out of bed when she wants) I thought that she was just up and awake with me because he was so noisy and knew that I'd be getting him out of his crate to go out...She also had started pulling out his woobie toys that he sleeps with at night! Thru the crate wire!!! She wants him out to play so bad that she was waking up the whole house to do so!! So, the next two mornings she got the, "Ki! Go to Bed!" and now this morning we (including I'm sure a relieved Kunai) all slept until the lovely hour of 6:35!!!! :oDDDDDDDDD It felt like heaven!!! haha

Can't wait to see the photos of sister!! :o)
  • Aww. Fail on the photos! Haha.

But I am glad that everyone is getting along well and that Mika has settled in nicely with you guys. :) Now hurry up with those photos!
  • Sounds wonderful Tara! Congratulations on expanding your Kai Family! :)
    and yeah, pictures are needed in a big way. Im a visual person. ;)
  • That's so neat! I'm glad the older Kai like the new pup.
  • @CarabooA We had one accident in the house. I blame myself. Mika was whining at the back door and trying to jump out the bedroom window. I thought she just wanted out. She LOVES it outside. But poor little girl was trying to tell me she had to go potty. I should've trusted her.

That's hilarious about Kitora. Koda likes his sleep, so no worries about him waking up Mika on purpose. She pretty much tires him out between him worrying about her and playing with her. Mei might do something like that though.

@sunyata @WrylyBrindle I promise I will get them up. I was trying to last night, but I need a new laptop badly at home. I know it's a total fail. Especially since she is soooo flippin' adorable!!!!! And Koda is quite the man now.
  • Glad to hear Mika is home with you! Yay! Looking forward to pics!

I'm so impressed Mika was already telling you she had to go out! Leo only just learned the "scratch at the door" thing to indicate he has to go out, though he's great in the crate, just doesn't get how to indicate it when he's wandering around in the house.
  • @shibamistress Maybe I should clarify. Mika screams at the door while scratching, tries to jump out the window, and runs into the glass door head on when she needs to pee. The pup is cray cray! She is seriously the most fun puppy I have ever met.
  • Oh, wow, I want a pup like that! Conker would give NO signs whatsoever, he'd just let loose on the ground whenever it suited him. He was a pain in the ass to housetrain.
  • :D Mika is crazy adorable. Sometimes more crazy than adorable though! Lol.

Maybe the next time I come over Shakko will actually leave when it's time to go and not just stand there lol
  • edited June 2012
    @Losech I knew if I wrote that she would prove me wrong. She peed in my room tonight. *sigh*

@jujee lol Shakko just wanted some man time with Koda without us there.

Without further adieu here's some pups pics. They had to be indoors as it was 103 degrees this weekend.

IMG_0179

IMG_0180

IMG_0068

IMG_0326

IMG_0069

IMG_0374

IMG_0188

IMG_0189

IMG_0356

IMG_0380

IMG_0377

IMG_0376
  • I love the pic with Mika on her bed!
    and Koda looks grand!
  • OMG, too cute!! Can't wait the see the difference between a KKA kai and "American" kai side by side
  • She sounds amazing and is so adorable! And well, I think we all know how I feel about Koda :) Love that boy! I am glad that everyone is getting along so well. Cant wait to see little miss Mika grow up.
  • Love the hairless spot by the ears! Goro has them to lol It's way cute :P

She's super cute! Congrats again!

• Awww! :)

Damn this puppy fever! Haha.
  • She is so cute... I need to post some pics of her sister (Nori) too.
  • Aw!! They look great! Yay! Love her face, and Koda's too!! Thanks for sharing the pics!!! That's ok, the always make liars out of us... Kunai pooped in the house yesterday and peed 2x's... all three "accidents" happened within 10 minutes of coming in from the yard.... ggeeeesh! Pulling out the carpet shampooer.... lolol
    I can not wait until we get wood floors ... one day... sigh
  • @CarabooA & @Hinata23 & @tjbart17 - I've noticed this with Kai pups, before you let them back in, you have to watch to make sure they pee when you let them out. Otherwise the get out in the yard and go into explore/play mode and don't go potty as they are too busy and distracted. Sometimes it helps to walk them on leash before you let them run free in the yard.

----
  • I love the pics! I love the Kai "wild eyes" as we call the looking out of the corner of the eye so the whites show thing that Mika is doing in some of the pics! Leo does it all the time, and half the time the look seems to be like, really? why would you take my pic? Or why would you want me to do that?

Anyway, wonderful pics!
  • Thanks @brada1878! I think we were noticing that when he goes out with Mirra or Saydee he'll do his business, but if he goes out with Kitora they both get distracted with each other and don't get anything done... lol Kids, go figure!! haha
  • Cute! I'm loving all these Kai pup pictures.
  • Love the pictures. Looks like we'll have to come bother you again :P
  • Koda is looking good. Mika is just freaking adorable.
  • @brada1878 Thanks Brad! I've been watching him more closely and he's had less accidents. :)
  • @brada1878 she just came in from peeimg on leash. Her and Mei had been running around for an hour and a half and they were jumping in the kiddie pool and back out chasing each other. I think she just inadvertently drank the water. Mei loves playing with Mika. It's too cute.