Harness or collar?

I was wondering are you guys using a harness or a collar when you're walking your lovely shikokus? And what is the reason for your choice?

Thanks!

- Martin

Comments

• When we go for walks, I use a harness but that is mainly because our walks consist of encouraging the pups to pull. If a dog is a heavy puller, you are better off using a harness to prevent injury until they learn not to pull. Then you can leave them on the harness or switch them to a collar.
  • I don't have a Shikoku, but I prefer to walk all my dogs with a harness. If it's going to be a short distance I'll use a martingale collar. Hiking is definitely done with a harness, as are car rides (to buckle them in with). I prefer harnesses since there if the dog lunges or pulls, there is no force on the neck, and since harnesses are harder for them to get out of. The harnesses I use have handles on them, which are great if you need to get some extra control over the dog in a pinch.
  • That's so funny, I used a harness when my Shiba was a puppy and it made him pull like he was running the Iditarod. Now we use a martingale and he walks quite nicely with it. We temporarily switched to just a regular buckle collar and he slipped out of it in the middle of crossing a street. Scariest experience of my life!
  • Harness all the way! ChoCho can go from being comfortable and outgoing to totally freaked out by someone in a flash and I've been in situations where she almost slipped out of her collar. NOT FUN! I think I lost 2 years out of my life each time. Harness is also more comfortable and doesn't hurt their throats. She at least pulls less while on a a harness.

Goro, our Kai pup, hated the leash while it was attached to his collar, but when we put a harness on him he was ok with it.
  • We use for 90% of the time a collar and the last 10% a harness during shiba's meeting or when we go to the sea.
    We read here and there that for shiba (i don't know about other nihon ken breed), it's recommanded to use a collar until its growth is not over to not deform her shoulders when she pull
  • I personally like to use collars and even when they are carrying a backpack, I use the collar.
  • I use martingale collars because Sasuke would slip out. I always had a collar on even with his ruffwear harness... It had all his tags and contact info.

Harness was mostly for parkour and hiking.
  • harness for the pullers, martingale collar for the non-puller. I don't have a shikoku though--two Shibas, an AA, and a Kai Ken.

I don't think it's true that you shouldn't use a harness on a Shiba. It's better, probably, because you can do a lot of damage to their trachea if they are pulling in a collar. The harness shouldn't be displacing the shoulders in any way, and is safer than the collar for a puller. (won't necessarily make them pull less, but it is safer for the dog).
  • Agree, even if the dog has a harness on always put on their collar with their info on it.
  • Martingales are good for Shibas. I noticed their heads are roughly the same size as their necks so they slip out easily. I have an AA as well but she could use a regular collar just fine.

I don't have a Shikoku... yet :)
  • I agree with all the above comments, I use a harness or martingale collar.
  • edited June 2012
    I use a regular collar most of the time. Sometimes I use an easy-walk harness or head halter if she's being a brat and pulling too much. I have the webmaster harness for bike rides, long-line walks, and for attaching the pack to (Palisades). For biking, it's just in case we make a sudden stop or the dog tries to lunge at something, if they're wearing collars, it'll jerk their neck too much. Same with the long-line; if they work up a running start and hit the end of the leash, they could hurt their necks. I've never had a problem with dogs slipping out of their collars, but Noah says it happened while he was walking Sosuke once.

@Hinata23 That's interesting that Goro doesn't like the leash on his collar. Matea let the dogs out once and someone found them and brought Rakka back, but said that Sosuke refused to be led anywhere by his collar. I wasn't home, but Noah went to where the person found them and Sosuke was still there, and would come up to and follow Noah, but as soon as he tried to lead him by the collar, he planted his feet in and wouldn't move. So, Noah ended up carrying him home. I had no idea that Sosuke didn't like being lead by his neck because he lets me do it. Same thing happened again at agility. The instructor was trying to lead Sosuke by his collar across the dog walk and he just wouldn't move, but then I put my hand on his collar and he went no problem. Kind of interesting.
  • @hondru Wow that is weird. I haven't attached a lease to Goro's collar since we got him. I've been putting a harness on him ever since I saw how uncomfortable he was with it. I have noticed, though, that when we're in puppy class he's a bit ify about having the trainer lead him around. He's somewhat over it now.
  • Actually, Leo doesn't like the leash on his collar either, now that I think of it. I chalked it up to me not ever really walking him that way, so he was startled, but I don't know. He doesn't mind it on his harness but doesn't like it on the collar where he can see it better.

These boys are quite a bit alike, aren't they?
  • @Shibamistress hahahaha they are! It's cute how alike they are :)