Portable Fencing

edited June 2012 in Products & DIY
So over at this thread about doggie trailers, I started talking about portable fencing for travelling with your dogs, so I thought I'd make a new thread so as not to hijack the trailer thread.

So, there are ex-pens that are made for this process, but to me, they seem too short and small to really be any better than just an over-sized crate. I think my dogs could escape from one easily, although you could put a roof on it. I haven't seen any ex-pens that were really tall enough for anything but a very small dog, but I think you could probably use livestock panels to make your own, big-dog ex-pen for a fraction of the price. The panels are stiff enough to not need any posts, so you can just use metal clips to attach four pieces in a square, and there you go. A 16'x16'x5' dog run - that's as good as any permanent dog run! For something more permanent, use t-posts, which if you have a t-post pounder and remover, are quite portable, too, but they do leave a small hole. Here's a link to a 5' tall horse tall panel. Here's a t-post (they're cheap!). Here's the post-pounder, and here's the post-puller. Now, the panels are 16' long, so you'd have to use wire-cutters to get them down to whatever length works with your camping/travel system. If you have a 16'+ camper, then you probably could use the full-sized panel and just attach to the top or side of your trailer (maybe add some hooks added to the side so you can hang it off?). If you're travelling with just a tear-drop trailer and a car, then obviously you want to put the panel into smaller pieces.

Another idea would be those portable e-fences. You can get the wireless one that you just plug-in and it creates a circle that the dog can be in. Or, you can get the wire kind, and place it on top of the ground, covering the exact area that you want covered. Here's a link on using invisible fences above ground, so you don't have to bury them every single time, which would obviously be a huge hassle.I'm not really into invisible e-fences because I don't trust them, but it's one portable option.

There's also portable electric stock fencing. It's a wire mesh, and it's supposed to keep coyotes out, so presumably, it can keep dogs in! Depending on where you are, people might not appreciate an electric fence being erected, but if you're at a campsite, they should probably stay off your campsite anyway. I like these much better than the e-collar invisible fences, because they keep other things out, and they really are more effective at keeping the dogs in. They fold up tiny, too. Very portable.

The latter two options require electricity, and the first one is probably the least portable, but I think it's my favourite. What do you guys think?

Comments

• aykayk
    edited June 2012
    For my dinky car, five feet tall is not really portable, and with a running start that a dog could get in a 16'x16' area, it's not jump-proof as well. The welded wires are also not climb-proof. In a strange, novel area like a campground, there's lots of incentives for the dog to escape out.

I would use an x-pen and put a top on it. Even large dogs like Malamutes and Akitas will fit under them. You can only set up long rectangular configurations rather than big square ones with a top, but it's plenty room for most dogs.

I would use a tether rather than the e-fences.
  • edited June 2012
    Yes, that is true. There are other sizes of livestock panel, so even if you want to stick with the ex-pen dimensions, it would still be less expensive to use a livestock panel and cut it into whatever size you want. Clip the sections together and there you go. You can use whatever you want for a roof. You could even buy an ex-pen roof as long as your homemade ex-pen is the same size. I'm pretty sure they're just custom-fit tarps, though.

This one is 34" high.
    This one is 4' high.

With wire cutters, of course you can make any height you want.

ETA: Here are some photos of people transporting the full-length 16' livestock panels. I'm not sure how tall these ones are, though.

Cattle Panels arrive home for my garden
  • Ex pens have worked really well for me and mine when on the road to shows. Interesting idea to use livestock panels. That may be safer than a tie out when camping.
  • I use ex pens when I travel. I have 36" and 48" tall pens. I usually hook a couple of pens together under a pop up canopy for outdoor shows. Kuma and Tora will hop out of a 36 inch pen if I walk away (mainly so they can be with me), but do not jump out of the 48 inch pens. My friends keeps her wolfhounds in 48 inch pens as well. For the really hard to contain travelers we have 48" ex pens with wire tops that hook on. They come in handy at indoor shows where ex pens are not allowed. We use an ex pen and a top to make a wolfhound sized crate.
  • aykayk
    edited June 2012
    Here are some x-pens that we had set up at a Jindo picnic. We had 3 separate areas, and they each had a different type of cover. One was like the x-pen panel, another was a fabric, and a third was a grid/lid that folded over.

For added strength, the x-pens can be zip-tied to one another at the corners.