Choking herself...in a harness!!!

edited June 2012 in Behavior & Training
As Beth will tell you, Dragoon has started doing something pretty insane during walks. She chokes herself to the point where she's constantly "wheezing" for lack of a better term...and in a harness!!! We've tried two different types of harnesses, and yet she manages to choke herself regardless! We've also tried clipping the leash to the front of the harness, but then she ties up her front leg & can't walk. Have also tried walking her on her collar, which, oddly enough she chokes herself less on, but still does it nonetheless.

Not sure what to do. She's still only 6/7 months old, so I don't want to go out & spend a ton of money on a harness she'll outgrow, but at the same time it's practically impossible to take her for a walk this way!

Yes, I've tried the turning when she pulls, using treats, etc. Doesn't work, apparently, choking herself is more rewarding.

Any advice / ideas / help guys would be really appreciated! ~

Comments

• Conker does this too sometimes. It's really irritating, but he chokes worse in a collar than harness so I guess he's the reverse of Dragoon. When I walk him on a collar though, I use one that's about 1 1/2 inches thick (which is ridiculously thick on a Shiba) so that if he does pull, the force is spread out over a wider area. Does the harness that Dragoon wear have any sort of chest plate? I don't know if that would help or worsen it, but it seems to help for Juneau when she pulls in her RuffWear harness over the generic type.

I'd just try retraining her to walk on a leash, from step one. I did the clicker training with Conker and it worked great. With Juneau, that didn't work so much, so I had to walk back and forth back and forth (for days) until she quit rushing out ahead of me. It's difficult but after a while Dragoon should get it that you won't put up with nonsense and that she has to listen to you, and try to never give her the chance to pull like that. If she pulls because of another dog, turn and walk away or have her sit nicely until the dog is gone, or whatever else the distraction might be. You might have to start inside or in your yard and work up from there.

I'm pretty liberal with leash manners. I don't require my dogs to walk beside me at a heel all the time and do let them roam, sniff, and pull a little, but if one of my dogs did this constantly I would enforce (nicely) stricter rules about walking on a leash until the dog no longer did the undesirable behavior. If that means walks are no longer fun, so be it. I'd rather have my dog be bored than hurt themselves on a walk.

Sorry my tips are so lame. It's easier when you can just pick up the misbehaving dog and march home (this REALLY pisses Conker off and usually works in getting him to listen) instead of have to deal with whatever their issue is.
  • I feel many of the traditional harnesses promote pulling in a dog. For London, I used a halti for a short time and treat him when he was by my side (not pulling). I had a lot of success (even though he is a Malamute and his pulling was pretty severe when we started) and phased the halti out in only a short time.

Like @Losech, I'm a bit 'liberal' in our regular leash walks and let him walk ahead and take his time sniffing around and checking the news but he hardly pulls anymore unless he sees something that antagonizes his prey drive. Even then, he's easily brought back to my side (we did this training, originally, on a flat collar and LOTS of very stinky, high-value meat treats (hot dog, steak, chicken, fish).

Training my foster Bloodhound more recently, the stop-and-go method worked a lot more than anything else. Stop when the leash is tight and go when it's relaxed. It took me an hour to go a block the first time, but it got better from there.

How much running around time (on or off leash) does Dragoon get? It might be easier to train her after an exhausting off-leash run or a day of daycare or anything she can get out all that energy before training for leash walking.

Hope this helped or others have more imput!
  • Have you tried the Easy Walk harness? It is designed for the clip to be in the front so they dont get tangled in it as easily. This worked for Kaiya and after a few months, we were able to go back to a regular harness. My only complaint was that because of where the leash attached, it would rub her shoulder and it made a thin patch in her fur. Fur grows back though. Good Luck!
  • What about a head collar? Or maybe a Dean & Tyler DT Harness. (Check out the website and if you think it might work for her, I have one I can lend you until she finishes growing).

http://www.dtdogcollars.com/DT-Harness-High-quality-Nylon-Dog-Harness-p/dth6.htm
  • Be a tree ;)
  • What about using the type of harness you have on Fate? (I don't recall if they're the same) I think the "Y" chest ones do more choking than the "I" chest ones...OR you can get the Bentley of harnesses. @ http://www.rawdogleather.com/harnesses.html . That way you and your dog can feel like batman every time you go out. I'm getting 2 as soon as both of mine get jobs haha.
  • edited June 2012
    Being a tree is a good idea! I would back track, something got missed and point did not get across to the dog. Maybe you have inadvertently reinforced it. Non pulling is one of the hardest things for dogs to get. Don't walk dogs together until the behavior is under wraps.

You could use long wooden spoons to reward non pulling. Place peanut butter or cream cheese on spoon and stop be a tree when dog pulls. When dog comes back or eases up, reward. Also teaches the dog to work along side to stay at pace. Work in the drive way or short distances and then over a block at a time. The gobs on the spoon should last you if you only allow a small bit at a time. Big bits for a job well done or end a session.

Snf
  • The Step-In harness and Easy-walk strap around the chest.... (I think those are the ones I've seen on your dogs)... How the heck does she manage to choke?! Lol
  • Being a tree works well. Another thing is to just head in the opposite direction so the dog is no longer in front of you but has to turn around and catch up to you. You may get dizzy after a while at first. ;)
  • Thanks for the suggestions guys!

As to how she does it...NO idea!!!! LOL I wouldn't say she's "choking" per say, more putting pressure on her throat so she can't breathe well. [ horrible, horrible rhasping sound as she walks ]

These are the type of harnesses we've tried on her:
    - www.petco.com/product/109938/Bison-Pet-Real-Tree-Hardwoods-Adjustable-Nylon-Dog-Harness.aspx
    - http://www.petco.com/product/118706/Coastal-Pet-New-Earth-Adjustable-Personalized-Soy-Comfort-Wrap-Dog-Harness-in-Cranberry.aspx

I've tried the ezywalk, [ found one I had for Wraith as a pup ] however, she loosens the harness so much I worry she'll slip out of it. [ that and she tangles herself up in it, since it clips from the front ]

We're pretty liberal about how they walk too. I don't care if they pull or walk in front, I would just prefer they don't choke themselves in the process! lol

Guess I'll go back to bare-bones training for now!...wish me luck. hahaha

@sunyata - Thanks Casey! But I'd feel horrible if something happened to it :x [ you know how dogs are! lol ]
  • edited June 2012
    This is why I don't think "choke" collars work. I've yet to meet a dog that didn't somehow enjoy being strangled more than walking politely until they'd been trained otherwise.

I vote for a head collar or anti-pull harness of some kind. Maybe you can take her for a quick run or bike ride first to take the edge off.

ETA: I also find that easywalk harnesses loosen so much that they're not very effective. The sides don't seem well-designed, either, since the vertical strap isn't continuous (it has those o-rings with straps that attach to it and can therefore swivel around and don't keep the harness in place). I also think that limited slip thing in the front is counter productive. It just makes it so the leash can slide to either side. I think a front attachment that was as stationary as possible would work better. With the easywalk, everything slides and loosens so much that the leash is essentially attached at the side of the dog's chest, which really doesn't work.

I've been thinking that I'd make an anti-pull harness that stayed put and see how that works.
  • @hondru - Agreed! We had this problem with Wraith & the easywalk harnesses when he was a pup, and later as an adult. I've bought like, 4 of them total. They ALL had the same "loosening" problem. Have just given up on them at this point. :\

If you make that stays put, let me know how it works!!! ~
  • I'm on harness number 2 for Genji. He inherited the last one from my last dog and he decided to chew it off himself. I got a little heavier one but I only clip onto it if I'm not expecting other distractions or dogs. Otherwize I'm using a pronged collar for complete control. I can't risk loosing him at this age because he's too untrained and immature to behave. And walking two dogs is difficult if other dogs show up. I need all the help I can get. I'd like to try tandem training but I don't see any classes in that anymore.
  • aykayk
    edited June 2012
    If you're worried about escapes, have you tried a limited slip-type collar? Either a martingale or alaskan collar?

The alaskan collars are really inexpensive if you want to just give it a try. They're used for escaping breeds like Siberians. I have these on all my dogs all the time and they can also be used during walks without the fear of them slipping out.

http://www.alpineoutfitters.net/secure/scripts/prodList.asp?idCategory=22
    The description says not for chewers, but that's mainly for tethered dogs who pull against the tether and create just enough length to chew off the collar.
  • @ayk - LoL, I love Alpine Outfitters! They have amazing products, I just wish their turn around time was faster.

With my guys, I let them have the opportunity to pull with the use of pulling harnesses and tethering them to a belt around my waist. By walking them this way, it has allowed me to work on loose leash while hooked to a collar without having to restrict their walks. It works pretty well this way, they learn not to pull with a collar and get that pulling energy out on harness. They also tire out quicker with pulling since they are putting more effort to walk the same amount of steps.
  • edited June 2012
    I didn't know they were called "Alaskan collars". I always called them limited slip, but yea I use those on all the Shibas when ever we got off property. My Kai wears a Silverfoot martingale with a GPS, or a Ruffwear harness. Not sure why a prong collar would be needed with a Kai puppy, Kai are so sensitive. I often walk the 4 NKs together.
  • Does anyone have any suggestions for a collar/harness/whatever to wear all the time that wont be uncomfortable or damage the fur? I keep collars on my dogs even when on our property, because its nice to have something to hold onto if I need to direct dogs from one place to another, and just in case they bolt out of an open door or gate they have ID. However, the flat nylon collars really damage the coat. Mosura has hard hers off for almost two weeks and you can still clearly see where the collar was as an indentation around her neck. Its not matted - she's been groomed thoroughly twice - the hairs seem to have been broken or grown shorter.
  • aykayk
    edited June 2012
    Rolled leather collars seem to be popular among the show crowd.

My Malamute friend also has soft slip collars from these folks. Their webbing is very soft and the store makes claims that it doesn't break hairs.

http://www.whitepineoutfitters.com/catalog_category.cfm?queries_index=index6&title_bar=Soft Web Collars&ProductCode=1

• @Ayk

Those are the exact same collars I use and they work really well. I personally hate the rolled leather collars. The dye rubs off and leaves a greasy ring.
  • Osy, have you tried a head collar like a Halti or Gentle Leader? I know most dogs hate things around their nose, but if you introduce it slowly and with a lot of treats it might work. Dogs can't really pull with them, since when they surge ahead their muzzle gets pulled to the side.
  • I used a rolled leather collar on Oskar to not damage his fur. He is not a LC, but he does have pretty long hair, slightly longer than average for an AA, I think. it works pretty well and does not damage his coat.

limited slip/martingales are good so dogs can't escape them, but for a puller, it does not help with the choking themselves thing at all. Any collar seems problematic since the press against them so hard.

Wish I had some more advice about the pulling against the harness, but I don't. I've tried most of the harnesses above too. I like the Comfort Flex harness, but I can tell from experience it won't solve your problem--I had Bel in one yesterday and she was managing to choke herself in it, though I can't quite figure out how she does it.

I wonder about the ruff wear harness? In addition to the regular ones, I have a really cool one for Leo called "the stow and go" which is very light and thin, and it has a V front which looks like it should NOT cause the choking problem. The problem is I don't think they make them anymore--I was able to get one on discount because they were discontinued and had only xxs left (which he will soon outgrow).

I also think the halti or gentle leader might work, but it is true they hate them...
  • What about the rolled leather collar helps protect the fur? Is it just that its round and narrow? I'm considering materials other than leather for staining and price.
  • IF you do go with headcollars, The Halti has a wider band and a silkier feel and has a short connection that helps the nose loop not slip around- I liked it better when we were using it, and Sage tolerated it better than a GL, but both were too aversive and he could not work under them. That said, he is not a typical dog, and I know many dogs do work well in them, and I know you are experienced and will invest your self/attention in Dragoon while training the walk/not let the tool do all the work. (I just have to say that because this thread is very tool-focused, and no tool can substitute for the owner being present for the dog.) The Halti also has a safety clip to your regular collar so IF the dog were to squiggle out of it, you havent lost the dog because your leash-->Halti-->collar.
  • Thanks for all the suggestions guys! Thought I'd update. :)

I tried the peanut butter on a wooden spoon thing. Worked for the first 5 minutes of the walk, then she got bored! lol The whole "be a tree thing" isn't really the problem, as if I stop walking...she stops pulling & just sits! haha

For now, I've clipped the leash to the front of her regular harness, & while it makes it awkward for her to walk, it also stops her from pulling / choking herself on it.

I think when she gets older, I'll get her a nice leather agitation harness. [ used in bite sport training so the dogs don't hurt themselves ] Unless of course, I can train her out of it / she outgrows this phase first ;) ~
  • Glad to hear something is working for now! (And yeah, the be a tree thing didn't work for me and Oskar either).

I don't know why the rolled leather collar works, but it does. I suspect it is the shape and the fact that it is thin. I like leather, though, because they are softer on the dog and on my hands, so I always get leather. (It didn't stain Oskar's fur at all). It was pretty cheap, too, at the pet store I got it at. Like $15 or less.
  • edited June 2012
    Too bad Osy, this is a good example though of not fully knowing the dog/human/owner interaction without direct observation, which is the tough part of attempting to trouble shoot on a forum.

As a quick fyi, peanutbutter with spoon is not supposed to be used for a long walk or high distraction environment but in short training sessions at 5 min intervals in the most boring area, building up of d's over days or weeks following the "three d principal" http://www.dogstardaily.com/blogs/three-d’s-dog-training-and-why-you-need-know-about-them

Some dogs find peanut butter a bit much or just do not care for it as much as other things particularly since it can make them thirsty.

The drive to be on the move and mental distraction (excitement of a wide environment) certainly seems to be the motivator for your dog. Being a tree does work in most cases BUT it has to be taken in baby steps with the right reward. One session or even 5 is not gonna do it. Using a pelt to tug or allowing a go sniff is a reward that can be used in place of peanut butter. If you go that route with pelt do not allow access to it at other times, only for training on you and with your permission or command to take it..

So yep in this case you are better off with a harness for anything more for walking in reg daily. You could try short training sessions and change directions before leash tightens keeping the dogs on its toes for the unexpected. Again this has to be done in short sessions and expect the other free time to be just that.

Snf
  • Good advice. My Kai had a harder time learning to heel than the Shibas when off leash. The trick with him was lots of practice indoors, then in the yard and then in classes, then in stores and so on, by calling him into heel and only rewarding him with food or praise when he was in that position. Using toys was a good reward for him as well.
  • @poeticdragon I went with the choke chain collar for Tsune to not damage his fur. I got a medium thickness chain and hang his tags on it, the thin rolled leather that he originally had has left him with a white ring around his neck", hence changing collar. So far I haven't seen any difference in his fur (has had his collar for a month now) other than there being a "parting" of fur direction since it's always on. After a bath his fur lays normally until his collar goes back on. It's easy to put his Web Master harness over it too when it comes to walks.
    pic: http://imgur.com/RaACg

@Sangmort Yeah I feel you on this, Tsune occasionally gets excited and will choke himself somehow on his harness too, thanks for posting this we could use the tips too lol.
  • @cezeig Thanks. For our road trip we are on currently, I put a choke chain with cloth woven through it on Gojira so she would have her ID and rabies tag. It's huge on her, hence why I don't normally use it, but since it is nice and loose it isn't damaging her fur as far as I can tell. She still has a ring on her neck from the flat collar which she hasn't worn in a month. But I expect that will stay until her coat comes back in - she is out of coat right now.
  • I've used a modified chain collar as a tag collar before. I didn't like how thin the "proper" size chain for Conker was, so I bought a bigger one and hacked five inches of it off and reattached the ring so it would fit better. I also made one into a limited slip collar the same way. I have no idea where that one got off to, though.
    So far I haven't noticed it leaving a ring around Conker's neck like flat collars do.