O M G . . . im speechless.

edited March 2008 in Behavior & Training

So I took a half day at work today and just got home about 15 minutes ago.  I greet the dogs and let them out to potty.  I get the mail, bring up my laptop from the car and go to my bedroom to take off my contacts.

THIS IS WHAT I SEE...

YellYellYell And I don't know who did it.   Its about 3 inches long and 1 inch wide.  UGH! Now I definately have to get new carpet. FAKKK!!!

Comments

• edited November -1

Well, that's gonna be difficult to cover up. I know you're pissed, but I wonder if the dogs where like...

'Shit, what do we do? Do you think she'll notice? Let's pretend it wasn't us.' *eyes darting left and right, looking for a way out*

• edited November -1
    I'm sorry but I laughed out loud. Put a potted plant over it, no one will ever notice Innocent
  • edited November -1
    that sux. I think it's time to crate Ninja when you are not home.
  • edited November -1
    That is a really big termite!  I bet you will find out when they poop who the culprit is!  Niko tore out carpet edge up.
  • edited November -1
    Seriously...Im pretty sure it was Ninja because Portia knows better.  But I don't want to point any fingers until im sure.  Ninja started to chew on the crown molding in our living room too.  Hmph...im sad.  John is going to be so upset.
  • edited November -1
    He is 9 months right? That was when Moto started to really chew. That was when we crated. We don't any more, but when he was in his chewing phase, it was what kept him from getting killed by his papa. Wink
  • edited November -1
    He's 7 months.  Sometimes we're gone for 8 hours a day, I feel bad leaving him in there for that long.  Maybe I should just get a baby gate and leave him in the kitchen.  How long do these chewing phases last for?? LOL.  Oh dear...I hope he doesn't chew down my house.
  • edited November -1
    If you keep him in the kitchen be prepared for stuff in there to be chewed up.
  • edited November -1

My counters are pretty high, so he wouldn't be able to jump up on them.  The only thing I would worry about is maybe the knobs on the drawers or cabinets.  Which I don't care much about.  I don't know what do you think...?

The knobs are stainless steel, so im not sure if he would be too interested in chewing that.  Otherwise, there's really nothing in there at his reach.  Its kind of a small space though.

• edited November -1
    That's more than enough space for him (and Portia). He'll be able to spin around in circles, stretch out, walk around. That would be fine. As for the cabinets, I don't know what to tell you. Lucy chewed up the molding on the floor when I left her with my roomate for a week but I suspect that was because he didn't walk her enough and she got frustrated. It stopped as soon as I got home and we get back into our routine. If you're concerned about him opening the cabinets, you can bungy them shut. If you're more concerned about him chewing, then you can buy that sour apple spray stuff I always hear people talking about.
  • edited November -1

Maui and Kaia chewed our cabinets in our condo's kitchen. Maui kept being destructive till about 14 months.

We crate our dogs till they are 2 years, if you think about it that is not very much of their lives. You shouldn't feel bad as long as you give them lots of exercise and a walk in the AM.

• edited November -1
    I give them a walk before I go to work or before I start work if im working from home - Usually around 830-845am, its only like a 15-20 minute one.  Then when I come home from work I usually give them another walk for about 30 minutes.  I talked to John tonight and I told him that he needs to walk the dogs for a 3rd walk later in the night from now on.  I was thinking maybe im not giving Ninja enough exercise, but I figured 2 walks a day plus play with Portia was enough...I think Im going to wake up earlier and maybe give them a 30-45 minute walk. 
  • edited November -1

Ninja should really be getting at least 90 minutes of walks a day at his age, plus plenty of play sessions with Portia and you guys.  A young Shiba can never be tired enough.

I'd crate him when gone, but that's just me.  He will just sleep, it's not a big deal.

• edited November -1

Yea, Ninja needs longer walks. I personally think the kitchen is fine Keigo and Mika aren't destructive when it comes to furniture. Actually, Mika isn't destructive at all - except when she had really bad separation anxiety, than she would chew on the walls and the speaker cables. We keep them in the shop when we're away because Keigo loved destroying bath mats, socks, towels.

We don't leave them in the house, but when Keigo does get a hold of something, he will take it and lick, but not tear and destroy.

• edited November -1

Romi, I've got one that looks a lot like that but a different color! Laughing  I bought a rug to put over it eventually, but in the meantime, I put red cayenne pepper on it, he took one sniff and that was the end of that.  The cayenne pepper vacumms right up.  I've also been told by a Shiba rescuer that white pepper works, I wanted it to sting a bit.

Here's mine!  AHAHAHA All you can do is laugh about it. If you have spare carpet somewhere you might be able to wash it until it resembles the wear of what is down, and glue a chunk in there.  I haven't tried it but I'm going too.  Either way, it has to be new carpet eventually.