Rough Paws

edited March 2008 in General
Keigo has nice soft paws. So smooth and nice. Mika's paws are like sand paper. Is there some sort of salve that I can use on her paws. Something she won't lick?

Comments

• edited November -1
    Bagbalm
  • edited November -1
    Thanks! I'll give it a try.
  • edited November -1
    I have never met a dog with soft paws!!!!
  • edited November -1
    hehe I have some Bag Balm in the cupboard at your local Walgreens next to the hand lotions :P
  • edited November -1
    Really, Rachael? I thought nothing of Mika's paws until I got Keigo.
  • edited November -1
    I don't think i've ever met a dog with soft paws either.  I guess that means you'll have to make a trip out to Cali so I can feel Keigo's paws lol.
  • edited November -1
    We used some Bag Balm on our dogs for their dry noses and it worked really well... they didn't seem to mind it either. Maybe give it a try on their feet too????
  • edited November -1

Dogs are suppoused to have rough/tough paws.  They walk on them.

• edited November -1

LOL, Brandon. I know it sounds crazy, but her's a so rough and cracked. It doesn't seem normal against Keigo's soft, squishy paws.

Bag Balm it is! Thanks, all.

Brad, why do your dogs have dry nosies? Is it the air in Taos? 

• edited November -1
    It was more for the winter time, it is so dry and cold their noses get dry and cracked. It is rather dry here tho (high desert climate).
  • edited November -1

we just found out that Sora likely has a non-functioning nerve in her nose. We found that 1 part of her nose was dry, so we took her to the vet who said that it could be an infection or the nerve. Well, we tried antibiotics, and they did nothing, so it's probably the nerve. Apparently, it just doesn't sense that that part of the nose needed more moisture. So, not big deal, she just needs us to put stuff on her nose.

Jack had really dry, cracked feet, and I put the pain-relieving neosporin (sp?) on it - they were nasty cracks - it worked pretty well though

• edited November -1

That sounds like Mika's paws, Tommy. I'll give the Neosporin a try. Haven't had luck finding Bag Balm yet, but I only went to Target. I'll also give Petroleum Jelly a try in the meantime. I checked Bag Balm out on Wikipedia and it has additives in a Pet Jelly and lanoline base.

• edited November -1

Bag Balm was originally made for cow's udders!  After nursing they would get dry and cracked. This was to keep them supple, but they don't walk on them! :)  I used it on my horse too when she had a foal, and the foal nursed and was fine.  I'm guessing it won't hurt any.  I do have to agree with Brandon though, i've never had a dog with soft paws, they have to build up calluses don't they, since they are on them all the time?  I don't know, I do know that it's great for human hands and feet, rub it on your feet before bed and put a pair of socks on, lovely feet the next day.

It's in a square tin, green in color and I think it has cow boobs on it!!  I don't think you can miss it.

• edited November -1
    Keigo has calloused areas on his paws, but they are really soft in comparison to Mika's paws. I LOVE tickling and caressing his feet cause they're so poofy and soft. Hehe. I'm heading to Duane Reede tomorrow. But tonight, it's Neosporin.