Aggression at home??

edited May 2012 in Shiba Inu (柴犬)
Hi guys

My shiba, Ruri, is the friendliest dog when he meets other dogs and will always instigate play. However, the other day a friend and her Golden Retriever (3 mnths) came to visit. The two have met and played before, but Ruri kept on protecting his toys, lawn, house etc. He kept her at bay and she wasn't allowed to move. Is that normal? I know he is getting at an age where his aggression toward other dogs may start(9-10mnths), but how do I handle it. He is still fine out on walks...

Comments

• A lot of dogs are fine with dogs outside of their home turf but can become territorial and resource guard if another dog comes into their home. You will need to work on this by socializing him with other dogs at home.

Try going for a walk on neutral territory when the new dog arrives. This will get them used to each other immediately before entering the property (even if they have played well with each other before the new dog comes over). Then set both dogs up for success by removing all toys, treats, chews etc. And make each experience a positive one. When both dogs are calm or playing well together, praise and treat both dogs. You will probably have to work slowly, keep at home play/socialization sessions short, and always end on a positive note.
  • Is it normal? I think it happens. But you do need to socialize at home. Ditto to everything sunyata said :)
    I'm currently going through this, somewhat. Toki, my 8.5 month old male, unneutered Japanese Akita, has only had three dogs over at the house. (i need more friends with dogs). One out of the three were "allowed", as Toki tried to fight the first, (neutered husky male, same age as Toki.) The other two was a tiny terrier mix puppy and a female pit bull looking breed.
  • My step daughter has this problem with her Kai. We haven't tried putting them in the house together yet but she said she'd have to clear out all the dogs personal stuff before trying it. Neither of my dogs seems to be possive of toys. Too much fun.
  • We are having this problem too. We only have 2 friends with dogs that live nearby and until recently only one of them was able to come visit. The other was Kaiya's best friend, Red, but he had severe anxiety issues if he wasnt at home, so we always played at his house. Red passed away a few months ago and they now have a puppy. They brought the new puppy over, as Kaiya has always been ok with our other friend's dog coming over, and she was overly protective. Once we got them out of the house and immediate area for a walk, she was ok again. We need more friends with dogs so that we can work on this before we start looking for our 2nd Kai!
  • My Shiba likes to be alpha, he will despite my best efforts strike out at other dogs who he feels are trying to dominate him. If he gets hurt like nipped in the butt during play he will turn back with a vengeance, then if another dog approaches him he will go for him too. I have to run to him in these instances and stand over top of him. because he doesn't discriminate when he gets mad he is mad at all dogs who approach him. After he has more then one dog on him he don't run, he bears his teeth kinda hunches like a cat and any dog that breaks his bubble will suffer his wrath((and has always backed off)), he will attack a full grown doberman. Fortunately these types of things have only happened a couple times at the dog park. What is surprising and lucky is when this fairly dominant Doberman tried to push him around, he actually decided to leave my Shiba be. My Shiba has learned fairly well how to tell large dogs to leave him be with out instigating a fight. He on a muddy day would be the cleanest little dog in the dog park. With my brother's dogs and with my Akita He knows when to submit, but if he views the dog as below him in the pack he will draw blood to keep his position. This is a bit hard to keep in check... even with slow introductions as careful as I can be on lead and all that. Once he has established his position in the pack he will go through great lengths to keep that position. I can let my Shiba run the park with out worries he has never hurt a dog at the dog park. But over his life time I have learned when and why he does some of these things. My Shiba may get scared but he don't run. I can also say if a dog don't try to dominate my Shiba he will get along with them. This is how my Shiba is.
  • edited June 2012
    I'm lucky Saya seems to be fine with other dogs coming into her yard. Marley the lab/mastiff mix joined us on our walk home and Saya wanted to play so I let her off leash to have fun. She had a blast wish I had camera at the time it was so cute!

She would yodel at her, bay, growl, and play boy to get her to play.

She and Bella had a blast running with Marley. She is like a boar I swear she just barrels around like her tail is on fire.

No toys were outside since we were on walk not hanging outside to play.

I think when the dog is young if you got dog friends who are well behaved it's important to have them over so your dog can be used to dogs coming into their yard or house. coarse pick up belongings.

I saw on one shiba blog and what they did from some previous advice is to take both dogs on a good walk and let the new dog investigate the house and have your dog stay out with you so when they get introduced in the house the new dog isn't so focused on investigating the house..

The second intro worked well.

Saya used to be good with all strange dogs, but she had been through two bad experiences with two different dogs and it set her back big time.

She is fine with dogs she knows and certain other dogs. She tends to like dogs her size or calm dogs.

It takes her a few meetings before she gets along and isn't defensive.

I stopped going to the dog park due to her bad experiences there and how other members treated me on the dog park FB page. Telling me no one is going to read that or saying I think I'm the dog whisperer.

The person even sent me a message saying how my dog bitten her dog's tail and held on for minute..

which never happened I do remembering some lady with a husky saying how nice Saya is and how another B&T shiba had bitten her dog's tail so my guess she mistakes Saya for the other shiba. :\ ah well..

I mainly just go on a dog walk thing that people hold once month and she gets to meet my cousin's dog and neighbor's two boxer, and other neighbor's lab/mastiff mix. Not worth it to go to dog park near me..

I never had another dog in the house my cousin's pug pees on the carpet now so I don't think I care for her to be doing that in my house. I wish people get a dog and train them not just let it do whatever.

Could your shiba be fearful of some other dogs? Saya will growl and bare her lip to tell other dogs to back off when they're being to rough or in her face even if it's in play. She gets defensive and I believe it's out of fear for her. Once the dog learns to back off when she growls she is pretty much fine with them and plays with them by chase or wrestling. I dunno maybe she feels better if the dog she plays with will listen to her signals.

a lot of dogs don't seem to speak dog language or don't care.

She growls and then bares teeth some will listen and back off and stop pawing at her, but some don't seem to know what growling mean or gets more excited. I dunno if they never gotten socialization with dogs as pup so don't know what it means or just wants to play. I dunno.

Not matters since I don't go to dog park due to rude mean owners. I'm too young for the dog park drama..
  • Fortunately for Arg, from a very early age we brought other dogs into the house and he learned that it meant extended play times. But then again, Argos has never really cared if anyone takes his toys, food, or otherwise - he's very socially oriented. So I can't offer you direct experience, but I can offer you advice from what I have learned.
    I agree with @sunyata with the meeting on neutral territory first, but I would perhaps caution that going closer to the home should be done carefully and with attention over where your shiba starts to guard (street outside, lawn, house), and don't push success in those areas too fast if you encounter resistance early. Also a good idea to remove the things your shiba tries to guard, but also work with resource guarding at home if you find Ruri guards with people, as well. Reducing those tendencies in general could help the experience with dog friends!

Resource guarding can become a larger problem, so if it's the reason why Ruri is standoff-ish with friends in the house, it's very worthwhile to work on it. I used to set up playdates for Arg in the dog park, and dogs who guard their toys there were probably my biggest concern (one attack on another dog while I was not there by a lab who felt a puppy was too close to his ball). I'm not trying to scare you or say your shiba is going to be like that (not in the least!), but I think it's important to take resource guarding seriously.
  • mine! is a good book on resource guarding from what I've heard need get it for myself..