Yamabushi no "Leo": new video and Leo's new agility class

It's been a week since we got out little man home, so time for some SPAM! Here are pics of Leo, from Akashi and Ayu litter!

He's settled in well. Bel plays well with him, and seems to enjoy him except when he's trying to nurse. Her corrections have been entirely appropriate, too, so that's going well. Toby (our most difficult dog) has surprised us by being totally uninterested. They've only met with Leo in the big cage, and Toby doesn't even get upset when Leo starts to howl or jump. (There is a lot of howling/whining and jumping going on).

Oskar, who is easiest with other dogs, does not like Leo. At first he just snarled and barked. The first couple of days he would snarl as soon as Leo moved. (they have also been meeting through the crate). Now he's calmed down some, but he does snarl and growl if Leo jumps up on the crate, and he also doesn't like it at all if he sees Leo jump on us. Their face to face meetings have been very limited, with one of us holding the puppy and petting/feeding Oskar at the same time. Oskar is getting more used to him, but clearly doesn't tolerate the puppy frenzy much. At least Oskar is over his mopey-ness of the first couple of days when he wandered out with a "betrayed" look on his face. We're going to keep everything very slow with those two.

The puppy is very clean, and lets us know when he needs to go out! He also is very busy--running, biting, climbing. He climbed the stairs the very first day. He's gone on a couple of walks, which he enjoys, and he would explore the whole yard if we'd let him, but he's hard to see in the wooded areas and so fast we can't catch him, so we're only letting him explore in the smaller very secure part of the yard for now.

My husband, who has only had one puppy before (the ultra mellow Oskar), was quite surprised by the activity level (and by the biting, hanging from pant legs, howling, humping--yep, lots of the latter). This puppy is quite like Toby the Shiba was as a pup--a very cute little demon spawn!

Anyway, pics! Some of you may have seen these other places.

Look at those leg stripes!

This tree looks tasty

Comments

• Wow! This pup is going to be stunning when he grows up!
  • waw...leo is adorable!!! I love him!! I agree with @Losech! Are you going to keep him as a stud or pet?

:) congrats!!!!
  • He's a pet, but we will be keeping him intact in case Brad and Jen want to use him in their breeding program.
  • What a cute little guy! You may want to get an orange or yellow vest of some sort for him. I can see him disappearing in bushes with his stripe camo...(Maybe bright bandanas would work)
  • @sukoshi_mom I use a bright orange bandana when hiking with my "fox" since some people (hunters) can't seem to be able to tell the difference between a dog and a real fox.
  • "hanging from pant legs"

Sounds like Saya as puppy thankfully she grew out of it and learned not to do that. lol

Leo is a cute pup hope Oskar warms up maybe it'll just take some time.
  • edited May 2012
    I think of the hanging from the pant leg as a very Shiba thing, though now I have to think of it as Kai thing too! I am not happy, though, that Leo tore a hole in my favorite pj bottoms (Dr. Seuss One fish two fish!)

Oskar is already warming up. He made a play bow to the pup today, and his excitement seemed more playful that hostile. I think he just doesn't know how to deal with small things that race around at top speed! *lol*
  • Aww! Leo is super cute. And I bet he is going to be stunning when he gets older!

And I am very glad to hear that Oskar is warming up to him. :)
  • Do you suppose his pain and discomfort is making Oskar more "crotchety" than usual?
  • It could be. It's so hard to tell when he is in pain, because as you can expect, he's pretty stoic. But I know we're being really careful to guide him away from the crate if he's growling (rather than pull on his collar) and I suspect he's still a bit sore. I also think, though, he needed time to adjust to this manic little thing, and now he's kind of like, well, it's just that crazy puppy again. He tried to play with him last night through the fence, and I think they'll be better when the puppy is not quite so small.
  • Leo is so darn cute! How's he doing with the Kong?
  • Leo is amazing. He has been my favorite of Ayu first litter... Although all her pups are great. I'll be interested to hear how the howling, or lack of it, develops. I'm about a month behind you...now waiting for puppy #2 from Kumi's litter by Ritsu. Can't wait. We don't have any other dogs now so not sure if that will make it better or not... He may need to get used to our barn cats.
  • Aw, Leo is so cute!
  • Tonight Leo couldn't decide if he wanted to hump Bel (the Shiba) or nurse, so he tried both, alternately. She was less than thrilled by all his attention.
  • ROFL!!
  • That's gotta indicate some kind of mother complex, lol.
  • edited May 2012
    We have a 1/2 acre which is all fenced in and wooded, but we don't like to let Leo wander in the whole yard, because he might find a way out of the yard. We do have a separate fenced area that we put dogs in when we don't want them running around, so we put Leo in there to pee, etc. It's big enough to keep him occupied, most of the time, and most of the time I hang out in there with him, or put Bel in there with him. But tonight, I put him in for his after dinner bathroom break and went back in the house to work on a project and forgot him. It was maybe 15 minutes or so that I left him in there, before I hear a dog scratching at the door, which was puzzling, because all adult dogs were in eating dinner.

Yep, it was Leo! Somehow he'd got out of the other fenced area, and came to the door, and scratched on the door like he's seen Bel do!

Good boy! (I was kind of freaked out that he got out of the other area at night though, but clearly he had no interest in doing anything but coming to find us! He will not be going out there alone anymore though!)
  • Good bad boy Leo!
  • Sounds like a Kai true and true. :-)

I remember once when Candice accidentally left the front door open. I found the Shibas sitting at the door. I freaked and closed it, then went searching for Tyson. When I realized he wasn't in the house, I ran to the front door and opened it to his wagging tail waiting for me. lol.
  • Leo update: today we went to the vet for round two of puppy vacs. Leo was mostly good--played with a "big dog" (a Bichon! ha!) and was good in the vet until it was time to take his temp, and then he screamed and squirmed and they had to get two vet techs to hold little mister monster so they could look in his ears. Poor baby peed on the table though because he was scared. (Well, you know, I don't think I'd be that happy about a thermometer up my butt either! ha!) He recovered from his trauma quite quickly, though, and ate a treat, and had "forgiven" everyone within about a minute.

The little chunk weighs almost 15 pounds. And, good news, they could feel that both testicles were much closer to where they should be, and one for sure will drop on it's own, probably both.

He starts his first puppy class next week. and he's just really fun: SO interested in people and gets so happy meet any new people. He's interested in dogs, but more cautious with them. We have noticed the Kai "flight" thing: we took him on a walk in a suburban neighborhood and everytime he heard a big dog bark (even if he couldn't see them) he tried to run, and when he did glimpse a big barking dog (safely behind a fence) he got so scared he bolted under a car. Luckily he was on a leash, of course, and I could coax him out, but I could see how critical it is to be aware of surroundings and his tendency to bolt when frightened. I do love though that he is resilient and shakes off the fear very quickly. That's better than my other dogs: Toby is resilient, but both Bel (Shiba) and Oskar (AA) tend to remember scary experiences longer and be more afraid at the vet when they have to have not so fun things done to them.
  • Thanks for the update! It's good to hear he can shake things off so easily. If only Conker could do that...
  • That's good testicle news! :o)

Kai can be kinda emotional about being restrained. It can be frustrating.

----
  • thanks for the update!! Is it weird that we are excited about hearing testicles drop??
  • Yeah, I think I spoke to soon on how he got over the being restrained at the vet. He was fine right afterward, but I always carry him out to little fenced area, and he screamed when I was carrying him, and at first I thought he was sore at the injection site (nowhere near where I was holding him, but....) but then he did the same thing for my husband, and we think he's just freaked out now about being restrained because strangers did it at the vet....so yeah.

I just spent some time holding him and feeding him cheese. Will have to work on good associations again. He's never LOVED being held, but he certainly tolerated it better before this vet visit.
  • wow, so cute. Now I want a kai ken as well, I blame you :p
  • And I blame (credit?) the forum here for my boy! It's hard to resist a Kai when so many people have such wonderful ones and post pics and tell stories about their awesomeness! :)
  • More pics soon? :) he's such a cutie!
  • Does not get much better than a kai.
  • Ditto what @sjp051993 said :o)