Saru is really sick

This is a re-post from the shiba side but i'm pretty worried and could use all the advice I can get.

Hey all, recently Saru has been getting sick; diarrhea/vomiting. took him to the vet first time and they said it was Giardia- got dewormer and antibiotics and a few days later he was fine. (did both dogs as a precaution) well this week he's showing the same symptoms, vet said no Giardia and gave me dewormers for both regular suspect worms and Giardia. This time he seems a lot worse so I'm really worried. He ate this morning but after first bathroom break he got really depressed and lethargic right now he's camped out in my closet and just keeps staring at me. Vet first thing in the morning...again but any advice would be extremely useful. Thanks much.

Comments

• It could be many things and taking him to the vet is the best option. If I were you, I would request a blood exam (CBC) to get a basic idea that everything is functioning normally. If there is a potential that he's clogged from eating something he shouldn't, you may want to consider having an x-ray done.
  • @Yandharr - Fecal tests are notoriously undependable, so it could still be Giardia.

What antibiotic did they give you? If it was just something like Metronidazole I would request something more wide-spectrum... like Amoxacilin (but without the dewormer).

Sometimes you gotta push vets, otherwise they will just run test after test, meanwhile your dog get sicker and sicker while they search for what the cause is. Test bring in lost of $$$, but diagnosis usually doesn't.

Might want to ask about getting him on some fluids and anti diarrhea/vomiting meds too.

I hope he gets better. :o(

----
  • well everything is coming out- extremely fast at that so I don't think it is blockage. Also, I'm trying not to overreact because that's my tendency, this is only the first day and i don't want it to just be gas or something. could it be the food perhaps? I have him on Evo and his appetite has been slowing for a while now, and has finally stabilized at the "grazer" level is that too rich for a grazer? could appetite change cause once normal food to become upsetting to their stomach?

@brada1878 - yup I have Metronidazole and cefpodoxime. as well as panacur. that's exactly why I'm not rushing to see them- and they are one of the less greedy ones in town :(
  • Are you using wet food to mix in the Panacur? Is it his regular food?
  • today i did it straight orally. usually i put it in dry food.
  • Tachi had same issue. exact same. i went to vet 3 times. they said it was somekind of stomach virus and gave him shots and medicine.
    but didn't work out well anyways. took him 2 weeks to get better. but after that happen he lost his interest about food and I'm having trouble feeding him well.
    he is getting better everyday but still not 100 percent condition.
  • @timkim - could you hear his stomach? to me it sounds like really bad gas- but there's no bad smell which is a break from the norm for Saru. what virus/shots?
  • Hope he feels better soon poor guy. :\
  • well, he's out of the closet now and managed to jump over the barrier to their sleeping area. not sure what to think of that given he can't jump too high... I can't hear his stomach anymore and he's asleep.
  • edited May 2012
    Unfortunately those are very general symptoms to a wide range of things. There's really only a limited number of diagnostics for most digestive track troubles (Internal Organ Function, Complete Blood Count, Electrolytes, Thyroid test) and together they pretty much give a wide spectrum picture of the organs. Which only necessitates doing them once to diagnose, again if it's a more serious issue to check progress or lack thereof.
    Has he been drinking/urinating profusely? That combined with the lethargy could be renal (kidney) issues or diabetes (the more serious of the digestive afflictions).
  • Soooo, it was pancreatitis. Went home with a sub-Q, a veritable pharmacy worth of medicine, and a lopsided Saru. He finally drank right after the vet said he probably wont for the rest of the day. then went home and drank some more. Things are looking good so far but were not out of the woods yet.
  • wow... I'm glad they figured it out! yikes!
  • Wow, that's awful! How did the figure out what it was? How did he get it? Hope he pulls through it ok!
  • Glad to hear it was just pancreatitis and nothing worse! Have you been feeding raw/semi-raw or did he just get into some things he wasn't supposed to?
  • That's too bad. :\

I know of a raw feeder who's min pin got into the trash and ate a bunch of skin of cooked thanksgiving turkey. The outcome wasn't good, but I hope Saru pulls through fine.

The min pin came from a bad breeder so she was already not well health wise..

She ate raw and did fine with the fat and skin, but amount of cooked turkey fat plus any seasonings on it was too much for the little dog to handle.

I'll keep checking here hope he recovers.
  • I'm glad they figured it out. Hope Saru is feeling better.
  • I'm not too sure. I feed him herring Evo, nothing else. I watch them very carefully and Saru never really eats unless I say it's okay, (I've forgotten to say okay once when I left home and he waited till I got back to eat.) Plus, I don't eat a lot of meat myself so if he did get into something I wouldn't lknow where.
    We caught it very early (says the vet) the test came back as a faint but definitive positive. I do know that pancreatitis can sometimes just emerge- I think that's the case here. What concerns me is he doesn't want to drink any water. He finally ate a significant amount today and I got him to drink about 40ml of water plus about 1 cup I slipped in his prescription food (which is 77% "moisture" itself).
  • That's what I was thinking--that sometimes animals (and people) just get it. Anyway, I'm so glad they caught it! Keep us posted on his progress!

@Nicole, I do remember that story, now, about the min-pin who got it over Thanksgiving!
  • Glad he's feeling a bit better! The camel's hump is strange but it works. We had to administer subQ fluids to our cat ourselves for several months. If Saru has had subQ fluids he may not feel very thirsty yet.
  • @WrylyBrindle Do you know where I can get the materials to do subQ at home? I probably wouldn't do it my self but one of the perks of living in Tampa is that there's a medical professional just about every 10 ft.
  • Your vet will prescribe that for you for home if needed.
  • We got ours at the vets. The cat was pretty docile, but it was still a 2person job because he has to stay still while it drips to the desired amount. I got used to getting the needle under the skin, but noone liked it. :( The vet will give you a bag of - essentially gaotrade/pedialyte type stuff- needles, and the tubes with a crimp. I think a lot of people bring the pet to the vet for it, but we had to subQ the cat 2x a week and it was easier to do at home. The vet can show you how to do it, if you did go that route. I dont know how still you can keep Saru?

It gave Finn (the cat) a chance to rehydrate while his kidney & thyroid meds took effect. Cats dont drink tons- but get a lot of their moisture from prey. Dry food is rather unnatural for them and if I ever have cats again, Id go raw all the way with them, knowing what I know now.
  • Sorry to hear about Saru's illness. You might find this article informative.

http://pets.webmd.com/dogs/dog-pancreatitis-symptoms-and-treatment
  • So sorry for this again. :\

Hope he starts drinking some what kind food he eating if it's dry add warm water and let it soak it up.

Maybe add bit of chicken broth in a bowl of water to get him to eat? I'm not really sure and don't know much on pancreatitis and what type food he can eat or what type caned food etc..
  • Just an update: he's slowly gaining his appetite, I actually had to pull him away from his food today so he wouldn't overdo it. We've went from diarrhea to constipation or just an unwillingness to try to go poop, not sure which. He gets a super soggy wet and dry mix of food which is about the only way he'll drink water still. Pee is fairly light which is good I hope. I think things are looking up. fingers crossed.
  • Good to hear he's already feeling better! That's good news!
  • Yea! Glad he's feeling a little better.,
  • Woo glad he's improving! That's incredible that he listens to you that well with the "okay" to eat. Any tips/links on how to teach that?

As for the fluids at home, you'd get sent home with a bag of lactated ringers (modified saline solution in the bags you see on TV medical dramas when someone has an IV) and a bunch of needles, it's just a quick pull up of the scruff so it forms a "tent" then needle in through the tent and under the skin, let fluids drip for x amount of time/cc's. Simple really, and dog's are pretty resilient, it's the owner's that feel more pain through their imagination lol. Have your vet show it to you and do it at home, will save a bunch of money.
    Have you tried mixing in a little chicken broth in with the water bowl's water?
  • Thanks, everyone, for all the support! We stopped by the vet today and she said he looks a lot more "lively" than before. So far he's getting his daily water intake. I've figured out that he'll drink it if it has a layer of food floating around the top- kinda like the last bit of cereal in a bowl.

@cezieg - not sure if you read any of my pasts posts on Saru and I, but we had a super rough start, he was my first dog ever and I made a lot of mistakes, over time he's gotten really patient with me so I'm pretty sure patience is a big factor for dog and trainer. I would suggest a crap load of repetition and trust building. I also do random intervals of interruptions just to be sure he knows stop from go. it really comes in handy when they are scavenging for those invisible crunchies dogs always seem to find. Eventually it got to the point that he did it out of habbit just as frequent and persistent as his bad habbits- I guess in this case it came back to bite me because he really needed to eat.