[VIDEO] Kai Ken hunting (boar and kamoshika)

Ran across these videos. The boar testing looks pretty promising! Also, it shows how crazy the Japanese backcountry can be.

@TheWalrus - It this Okabe-san's videos? I ask because the Channel is named "kaiken tenroukensya"...

----

Comments

• Love those video. :)
  • bump - people need to watch these!
  • That's crazy rough terrain! Those dogs are bad ass.

@brada1878

Guess who has a hunting evaluation on Thursday :):):):) Guns, birds, scents and everything. It was really hard to find someone without any prejudice to these breeds. We are also taking two of our most drivey/birdy Shibas.
  • Sounds like fun for Akuma! (I assume-a?)

The bottom video looks like some of my rocky woods. Kai are All-terrrain- Reilly and Sage would never go where Juno goes. Sage because a) he doesnt hike but more importantly b) is very cautious by nature, Reilly because she is too big and not well balanced structurally for that sort of thing. (all chest, long legs)
  • @lindsayt - Oh! Exciting! I hope he does well... Tho I will not be surprised if the gunshots freak him out.

@WrylyBrindle - The second video I think really shows the Kai's all-terrain-ness. I love that about them.

----
  • edited May 2012
    @brada1878 yes, those are Okabe-san's videos.
  • @TheWalrus - Ah, super cool! They look pretty promising on that boar! If you speak with him, please let him know I was happy to see his dogs on YouTube! They look great! :o)

So, I think Akashi's mother (and his mother's sister) were good kamoshika dogs. I wonder if one of them is in the first video? They look a bit like Sakura...

It's probably safe to say that the dogs in these videos are pretty closely related to Haru's first litter, Kumi's first litter, Kumi's second litter, Ayu's first litter, and Haru's third litter (via Riki, Kumi, and Akashi). That means these dogs are related to your pups @lindsayt, @WrylyBrindle, @Hinata23, @hondru, and @jujee ... ( and future pups @LynnC, @tjbart17, & @CarabooA )

I hope I didn't miss anyone...

----
  • Yes, I thought that female baying the kamoshika was Momiji (Akashi's grandmother) as she is an amazing deer/kamoshika hunter, and it seemed from Okabe-san's blog that it was, but then I found the same video on another gentleman's blog. He owns dogs from Tenro, and it seems he took the video. http://ameblo.jp/haraichiba/
  • Oh, interesting... So I wonder if that's one of Akashi's siblings?
  • @brada1878 We saw these videos yesterday via Facebook and they were awesome! Thanks for sharing. It's more than nice to know that our pup has amazing genes! :)
  • I had to go refer to the KKDB...so Juno's dad's (Rikirou) mother, Kaihime, is also the mother of Momiji in the video. Therefore Juno (Yamabushi no Momiji Juno) is the niece of Auntie Momiji in the video- they share a name as well as a capability to scale rocky terrain! that's very cool! :)
  • @WrylyBrindle - Yep. Kaihime is the female that links all of Okabe-san's dogs together.
  • Those are sweet! Thanks for sharing them.
  • The videos were very cool. Neat to see kai doing what they were meant to do. No boar around here, but Hiro is showing his hunting abilities on the local bunny population.
  • And related to little Leo, who is already mastering the wooded terrain of our yard! Cool to see Akashi's relatives hunt, and also simply cool to see the Kamoshika which is a new animal to me!

@Lindsay, keep us posted on how Akuma's hunting eval goes!
  • @Lindsay sounds exciting hope Akuma and your two shiba inu do well! :)

Kai ken in the video look so good and able with hunting good they can do what they were bred for.

Saya likes to run in the tall grass and scare up birds and things. She is on long leash 30 foot, but she comes when called even when excited and I've let her dragged the long leash into it so she went bit further in looking for mice and birds to chase.

She also loves climbing on trees and walking up steep hills she makes it look easy. lol

I can't imagine how much easier it'd look if a kai ken went up my woods steep hills..

I hope see more. :)
  • Awesome awesome video!! Thanks for sharing!!!
  • Nice videos! I've always wanted to see the Kai Kens in action! Thanks for sharing Brad!
  • I'm glad you enjoyed it!
  • Thanks for sharing, very cool videos!
  • Another one from Tenrou kensha (Akashi's breeder)...

This ones a bit brutal.

----
  • It was a bit brutal but this is how dogs act. Nice to see working Kais :). It is brutal when 130 men are hunting one wolf like they did here in Finland last winter...
  • Now that I know how big Kai are, I have to guess that must be a young? piggy...
  • Brad are these the same two that you posted earlier (up top on May 6th). They look like the same dogs. Pretty much I am getting the impression that most of the bolder Nihons take game on like this as a pair.

Snf
  • edited May 2012
    @StaticNfuzz - I think they are the same... actually, I think it may be the same boar too, just inside the fence instead of outside.

I think most primitive spitz-like hunting breeds work in pairs like this. If there are more dogs then they adapt and work with that number, as long as it's not too crowded. I think all primitive spitz-like hunting breeds will "catch" if they feel that they have control over the animal.

----
  • That boar squealing got all of my guys fired up. They all came running trying to find it.