Diamond pet food recall (includes taste of the wild)

Here is a link, but it does include Taste of the Wild now. :(

http://diamondpetrecall.com/diamond-expands-voluntary-recall/

Comments

• I can't figure out if Canidae is being recalled or not. The Diamonds website doesn't list it, but one of Losech's links does.
  • @NotoriousScrat Canidae has stated that they are issuing a voluntary recall on several foods. You can see it on their site, and though none of their products have tested positive for Salmonella (yet), I do think it is a valid concern.

http://www.canidae.com/info/
  • Thanks for that link, Losech! I agree that it's a serious concern---the reason I asked is because we have a bag of Canidae and I want to make sure it's not subject to the recall.
  • This is a voluntary recall out of precaution.

"The products involved in this voluntary recall are Wellness Complete Health Super5Mix Large Breed Puppy, 15 lb. and 30 lb. bags and 5 oz. sample bags with "best by" dates of JAN 9 2013 through JAN 11 2013. No other WellPet recipes, sizes or brands of food are impacted by this voluntary recall. The majority of Wellness natural products for pets are produced in WellPet’s own modern state-of-the-art manufacturing facility in Mishawaka, Indiana, and WellPet no longer purchases any products from Diamond Pet Foods."
    Recall

So far it seems just one formula was recalled and sample bags.
  • Wow that's a long recall window...

I just started working a pet food company yesterday, it's been interesting. I kind of like it though. We also make diamond... I saw it during my tour of the plant yesterday, but the recall is for SC not AR.

In general when its not being recalled is taste of the wild ok? I'm trying to decide what brands are best before I get a NK. So far I've been leaning towards back to basics (which is made with organ meat) and veternarian formulated complete.
  • I don't feed kibble regularly at all, but when I do, I give them Taste of the Wild, because it's a decent and relatively inexpensive food, so I think it's ok. And what was the tour like? It would be kind of cool to see....

Well, as scary as the is recall is, better for the companies to be safe by doing the recall, rather than waiting. Was the initial problem from a contaminated meat source or a problem at the SC plant, or.....?

• We don't have a plant in SC, that's another company all together. I don't really know how dog food works, yet. We produce dozens of kinds of dogs and cat food, but we don't really have our own brand or product. It's like we make food for the food companies from what I understand so far. I just started. We are ainsworth "custom"

The tour was interesting... every different building we went in we had to use hand misters... in the finished product building there was stuff like sand we had to walk through that was disinfecting. I didn't ever see the raw products, i think we started in plant 2. It was really loud and to me smelled like a chicken house. It was hard to hear what she was trying to explain. The food was shaped on dye plates. The food was cooked and also went through a cooling cycle too. If it was good(had the correct protein and fat content) it was transported to the next building that coated the food. I didn't like that building because we went up like 4 flights of stairs cat walk style. I forgot what the machine at the top did. There was also the room that monitored the energy in the plant with a couple of guys watching cameras. The next building packaged the food, it was all automatic with a bunch of people working the machine and monitoring the food. When I went through the were packing diamond naturals at the time. The was an automatic pallet stacking machine, with a wrap. My supervisor said she tried getting them to let her get wrapped in it... didn't happen. The were lots of pallets stacked everywhere with tons of different kinds of food.

The food was tested at every step for contamination. That's part of my job. I am also going to be testing the quality of the raw ingredients and quality of the food... that's the impression I got. They are training me for all lab work in case someone is gone, so i might be doing something different. ^^ that's just the impression I got.
  • @lizzysilvertongue The was an automatic pallet stacking machine, with a wrap. My supervisor said she tried getting them to let her get wrapped in it... didn't happen.

OMG I'd totally want to do that too.