Hokkaido Ken and kittens (video)

I stumbled across this video on youtube of a Hokkaido Ken named Maki and as far as I can tell she is taking care of kittens.

Comments

• Poor little tabby kitten died? Anyone able to find out what happened to it? I was watching the beginning of the clip thinking it looked poorly (distended belly was often a really bad sign in our foster kittens...)
  • They didn't say why the one kitten died but said Maki-chan was so upset that she couldn't eat for a few days. I guess she was actually producing milk although she hadn't had puppies in over a year.
    Interesting story but sad to see her chained up all day.
  • Neat video and yeah the kitty bellys are pretty low to the ground. :\

Sad she is tied up, but who knows maybe owners let her off leash for a good walk or run or maybe not.

I dunno how outside dogs are in Japan..

My brother lives at his wife's uncle's house and they have a hunting lab who is in a kennel with a dog house he doesn't get to roam the area, but his owner does let him out to roam and run around for a bit each day plus they hunt and stuff. They coarse have a bichon mix or poodle mix thing that lives inside. Weird little dog too. So kinda weird they have a inside dog and then a outside dog..

I guess a hunting retrieving lab is bit stinky and he's really slobbery and bit rude he jumps a lot and rams right into you for attention. hehe

I don't hunt or work my dog so I can't understand it I guess, but if I did he/she would be in my room at night with me or watching tv..

Saya loves enjoying outside if I need her have less freedom I got her on 30 foot leash while I'm busy gives her freedom to walk around, but some limitations. She's pretty good off leash though, but I still take precautions when I'm not 100% with Sai.
  • Is this cat love some Nihon ken trait? Ife started to produce milk when we got our first kitten and she nursed it like it was her own baby.
    Photobucket
  • edited May 2012
    I've known many dogs in my family to nurse kittens, it's not all that remarkable nor a breed trait, I think.
  • "Is this cat love some Nihon ken trait?"

No I think most dogs are capable of it.

Also some Nihon ken would kill a cat or kitten with their high prey drive..

Saya loves our cats and other cats she meets, but there are some shiba who chase and kill cats..
  • My ESS and my mum's Schipperkes never acts like Ife and Nuuk with cats. Maybe they just are different.
  • I never knew dogs could start producing milk like that without giving birth or something.

I have heard of some weird situations where men could breastfeed... i guess its the same kinda concept?
  • Any female mammal can start producing milk to play nursemaid. Humans did it all the time in olden days. Dogs do it very frequently as well, and are quite often used as surrogate mothers for wild animals and in zoos. I know of an Akita which nursed a lion cub in some overseas zoo and is still together with the full grown lion a lot of the time.
  • Interesting I did not know that... cool.
  • Very cute--and interesting about the milk production. I'd heard something about that before, but I didn't realize it was that common.

Her greeting when they brought her kitten back was adorable. Poor little tabby, though. It is a bit sad if the Hokkaido is kept always chained, too, though she looks healthy at least.

I wonder if being raised by a dog affects the kitten's behavior. I know one of my aunts has a cat that she found as a (slightly older--probably 8 or 9 week old) kitten and raised with her two (and sometimes more) dogs; the cat always acted a bit doglike but I dunno if that had to do with spending her later kittenhood play-wrestling with a 40 pound dog or personality traits she would have had anyway.
  • edited May 2012
    Story time!

Long before I was born, my parents found a malnourished and half-dead kitten. They took it in and began bottle feeding it. Their Boxer showed a lot of interest in the kitten, so they let it sleep with her to keep warm. The Boxer would pick it up in its mouth and carry it around, and all you could see was a paw or tail hanging out from under her jowels. But on the second or third day, the kitten took a turn for the worse; it stopped accepting the bottle. My parents thought for sure they were going to loose it. Animals on their death bed often stop eating entirely. Yet the kitten seemed healthy and active and alert, and they realized that the Boxer had begun nursing the kitten.

That cat when it grew up did not know how to be a cat. It made a short "mrow!" and "nyar!" like sound that was more reminiscent of barking than meowing. When strangers came over to the house, it would advance on them growling and "barking" rather than going somewhere high or hiding like a cat normally would. It was so bizarre that my parents friends remarked, "What the hell is wrong with that cat?!" Even its posturing was more like a dog than a cat, with a stiff-legged aggression instead of crouch ready to spring. It never purred until it had a litter of kittens of its own many years later.
  • Our Hokkaido, Czech (spayed), got along well with cats. The neighbor got a kitten and it would come over, crawl through the fence and curl up next to her. It would groom her face, wash her ears, etc. After about 4 weeks it got hit by a car and came into our yard seeking help. I took it to the neighbors and they had to put it down. Czech grieved. She howled for three nights and moped around for about two weeks before starting to act normal again. Thanks for posting.