Anesthesia & Ronan (bad... very very bad)

Hey guys! It’s been a long time. How is everyone?

I’ve noticed something with Ronan that I thought I’d share with you in case it helps with anyone else's Shikoku. Ronan is extremely sensitive to anesthesia and he’s also sensitive to drugs like Benedryl.

While most dogs can take 5 mcg of Benedryl per body weight, Ronan can’t. Just one tablet makes him extremely sleepy and groggy, often lasting into the next day.

Anesthesia is worse. Life threatening, actually. Ronan had a dental done and it nearly killed him. He just wouldn’t come out of the groggy stage. Long story short, Ronan can only tolerate the type of anesthesia they give to newborns, 4-week old puppies, and the very old dog. Always get the name of the anesthesia they use in case you need the effects reversed later at the emergency clinic.

- Michelle

Comments

• Just a heads up about the benedryl... The usual dosage for dogs is one mg per pound of weight... Not five. That may be your problem with that.

But I am sorry he had such a bad reaction to the anesthesia. Hopefully he is doing well now.
  • You're right - it's less. I think the whole tablet is like 5 mcg or something. Pre-caffiene this morning.

He's fine now. Thanks. The vet has it in his charts about the reaction. It's just something we need to make sure every vet clinic is aware of should he ever need treatment elsewhere.
  • Thanks for letting us know that there may be an issue with some shikoku being sensitive. That being said, both of my 2 shikoku were put under to have their hips x-rayed and both were fine with it (or at least the vets never told me about any issues, which I am sure that they would have if there had been one.

Glad Ronan is better and that had to have been scary to hear!
  • If you got Ronan micro-chipped, make sure you update his online profile to reflect that sensitivity to anesthesia too. Glad you were able to recover from it!

Jesse
  • edited May 2012
    Nuuk had also problems with the anesthesia. He did got the "wake-up shot" but still slept six hours after the anesthesia.
  • Seviflurine is the name of the awesome lite anesthetic. Perhaps there is something amiss with his liver? That is how most anesthetics clear. Also, a lack of body fat will cause that.
  • Lindsay - that sounds right! I knew it was a S something. Liver checks out okay - I had a full blood profile drawn before the dental, and they ran fluids during the dental, too. He is one skinny little dude, though. 36.8 pounds and 21.5 inches tall. I've never been able to pack any weight on him. He goes through spurts of what we call Hungry Hungry Hippo, but mostly, he's merely a snacker with food.
  • That is really scary! I'm so glad he came through it ok!
  • Glad he's doing well! Thanks for letting us know too. So far no one here has reported this, but never know good thing to know anyways.
  • Good to know! I'm glad he's okay. Rakka has been under anesthesia several times. She was spayed (that was before I got her, but I can only assume everything was fine), she had that operation to remove her cyst, she's been under for stitches twice, and once for porcupine quill removal. That's five times in total, so, I guess if she had a problem, I'd most likely know by now.

I wonder, is it one of those things that gets more severe each time?