Adopting a 7 month old Shikoku?

NixNix
edited May 2012 in Shikoku Ken (四国犬)
I just wanted people's thoughts on the matter I have been talking to Peggy and I really like the way she is describing the puppy so all that is fine but what I really wanted to know is do you think I'll be missing too much or is the puppy phase very short lived ?

Comments

• Go for it. Puppies are cute, but in a fifteen year lifetime what is seven months really. Of my three dogs I only have ad one wife ten weeks. And that is Miko. And frankly she is probably the one I feel least bonded with. Mind you we ate bonded and adore her and she us, but compared to Ruby who came to us at six months and Hilo who was three when he came to live with us not as much.
  • I say got for it too. I got my Kaiya (Kai Ken) from Peggy at about 5 months. I dont feel like we missed anything. Peggy had her very well socialized and she was very quick to adapt in our home. Good luck!
  • I agree with the others, you aren't missing much. You miss the soft puppy fur, face and antics, but you also miss teething, potty-training, bite inhibition (or lack thereof), more dog socialization, crate training/barrier frustration, furniture destruction, etc.

If you've never met the breed, you may be better set-up for success getting one at 7 months instead of as a puppy.

Jesse
  • If you are really unsure, why not meet the pup before deciding. Then you can get a good first hand experience with the pup, meet Peggy in person, meet the pup's parents, and possibly have a nice hike with the pup around Peggy's huge property.

Many people actually prefer an older puppy (5-8mo) as the majority of the "hard" stuff is over with and they still get the joy of that puppy attitude.

Can't wait to know what you decide, and if you do get the pups I hope you share pictures here :)
  • I don't know I kind of agree and disagree. Yes you won't have to deal with the potty training, teething and all the other puppy training, and adopting a dog is always a wonderful thing to do, but I personally would rather have a puppy from as early as possible so they grow up in the household and know all the routines and have not picked up any other behavioral issues prior to coming into the household. That being said it's more because I have a young son, 2 cats and a very outgoing Shiba Inu so I would prefer a new puppy growing up with them. Good luck in whatever you decide to do. I also agree with Calia you should try and spend some time with puppy, mom and dad and see their personalities and temperament. All the best!
  • @dheisler I wanted to share an alternate perspective based on your contribution; since all dogs will have some quirks, when bringing in a slightly older dog you have a clearer indication of the type of personality you are bringing in.

I brought Ruby in at six months to a home inhabited by a snarky adult shikoku and four cats (two of home were elderly and without claws). She was by far the easiest integration I have had in my 36 years of sharing my home with dogs. There literally was not a single issue to contend with. It was utterly seamless.

We brought Hilo in a year later. Hilo was three at the time and came to us from Brad where he shared his home with many other dogs, as well as with Brad and Jen. He had never lived with cats before, and had spent most of his life in a far more rural setting. He also integrated quite smoothly. I think it took about three whole days to get everyone on the same page.

On the other hand, Miko came to us as a nine week old puppy. Our two dogs at the time Moto (a shiba inu) and Piglet (a senior pit bull), had much more to contend with. Not just adapting to another personality, but a complete schedule adjustment that comes with a puppy. Integrating a nine week puppy was by far the most difficult integration I have dealt with.

It reaffirmed for me that I will only adopt adult dogs. I will leave the puppies to others. Obviously this is purely personal. I know many other people prefer puppies. But I find adults far less stressful. I know exactly what I am getting myself into as opposed to waiting to see what personality develops as the puppy ages. Especially when attempting to integrate this personality with other animal family members.

Just another way to look at things I guess.
  • Well, it really depends. For example, Kaiju was an absolute doll to integrate into the household (thanks for doing a great job with that @brada1878), but Kilbe on the other hand, has been VERY difficult, I wished I gotten her younger. She has no bite inhibition, lack of dog communication and she is chews EVERYTHING (of course she is much better now) but on some days she drives me nuts. AND i don't have any prey animals (like cats or rabbits, etc.) You should def go see the pup and everything and if YOU FEEL that it is a good match, go for it!!! Good luck deciding and yes, please post spam!
  • I got my dogs at 8 months (Gryphon), 10 weeks (Gojira), 11 weeks (Ghidora), and 9 months (Mosura) old. After Gryphon who was already growing into a young lady when I got her, I really wanted a puppy. After having two puppies, on the other hand, I am pretty much done; I much prefer the older teenagers now. I will say that I do regret, a little bit, not being able to train and socialize both Gryphon and Mosura. Gryphon I regret because she shows so much potential that she could have been even more amazing had we started with her younger. Mosura I regret because she is our little savage Tarzan - no manners, scared of people and new things, doesn't know how to behave in polite society, etc. But both are very bright and dogs as a whole are amazingly resilient and able to learn new stuff well into their twilight years; its difficult to completely "ruin" a dog forever, at least unintentionally. Even having a late start on training, I would NOT prefer to have a puppy. Just too much headache and hassle, and I'm too impatient for my dogs to be their beautiful amazing adult selves. :)
  • Thanks for all the comments given me a lot to think about.
  • @Nix - out of curiosity, what state are you located in?
  • Well, Genji is just past 8 months now and I'm exhausted! I planned to get the puppy at a time in my life where I knew I could dedicate FULL time to initiating him and doing everything I need to to get it right. Having the puppy part is darling...being able to cuddle a little boy is nice until he spazzes out. They don't come with computer chips in their little heads. It's a LOT of work and if you have a job I don't know how a person does it. I'm home full time and I still had a hard time. And I'm not new to dogs. But this was my very first puppy. I'd always gotten a dog that was past 9 moths old. I got a Siberian about 20 yrs ago and she was about 9 months old and until she was past two I thought I'd croak and I was young and vigorous then. So it depends on your energy level and how much time and patience you have. And by the way, the teenage dog is quite a handfull too. Right after I got him house trained he came into hormones and started marking in the house...that aint fun. He's getting the snip on Friday. His best day is when I take him to agility class. He comes home exhausted and me too and we both sleep soundly. Otherwise he wakes me up at the crack of dawn. Oh, but he's daring and handsome and he smells sooo good. I love a Kai dog.
  • @- calia I'm in california
  • @Nix, where in California? There's at least one Shikoku in the Bay area and 6 in Southern California.

Jesse
  • I also like getting dogs as young as possible for training reasons, but having had young and old, it is so NICE having an older dog that has some self control and knows how to behave. My favorite dog was almost 2 when he came to live with me and he is wonderful.
  • @crimson02, I am in so cal, orange county.
  • Well aren't you just in luck. Jesse lives in Irvine. =P
  • jesse = jessicarabbit? Do you think she will let me meet the dogs?
  • Jesse as in Crimson02
  • Ah I see, I go to irvine almost every other day. I will be going down their tonight for squash as well.
  • Just curious, did you make it out to America's Family Pet Expo the other week? It was located at the OC Fair Grounds in Costa Mesa. We had quite a few shikoku there to represent the breed. =)
  • Nope I did not ah they would have been nice to meet
  • edited May 2012
    I'm all about adopting older dogs. Personally, when I look for a new dog to add to my family, I focus on finding the right match and age isn't much of an issue. There are pros and cons to each, but with an older dog, you know much more what you're getting into. If they're already half-grown, you have a pretty good idea what they're like. Puppies are much more of a gamble. Plus, there's the house training, teething, and so on, like others have said. In fact, I think it's kind of funny how the price of a puppy from a breeder will go down as it gets older. Is there anything else you can buy where the more time, effort, and money someone's put into it, the less it costs?

As for older dogs vs puppies and kids - frankly, puppies can be pretty problematic with kids. They haven't learned bite inhibition, they haven't learned manners, and since they are growing so fast, they are perpetually in a state of not knowing their own strength. A puppy is pretty much guaranteed to bite a kid (and everyone else) at some point simply because they mouth everything. It's perfectly normal, and it's how they learn bite inhibition, but you may as well skip that phase if given the option.
  • @Nix Ah, prefect! You can probably meet Kurenai! :)
  • edited May 2012
    @Nix, drop me an e-mail at j.....@cox.net and we'll set something up.

Jesse
  • Sent an email....

Talked to Peggy and ryoko will be coming home soon.
  • Oooh, I've seen pics of Ryoko on Peggy's FB. She's cute! Congrats!
  • Congratulations Nix!
  • Congrats! We expect a ridiculous amount of photos when she gets home. :)
  • Awesome :)
  • Woohoo! Photos, please.