Why does Toki push his food bowl around with his nose?

Recently, in addition to now becoming a frustratingly picky eater, Toki has decided that he is going to nose his food bowl around and not eat his food. What the hell.

I've pretty much just come to the conclusion he is transitioning from a "starving" puppy to an adult dog, thus the diminished food desire (or desire for treats...still) ....but the nosing of the food bowl thing just confuses me. It's not a big deal... But im curious. I like to understand why my pup does the things he does.

I googled, but there is way too many "answers" that it is hard to discern from one source to another. I found one website but I am not sure I agree. It says dogs are left or right handed, so maybe they don't like the position of their food bowl. Toki is left pawed, but I'm sure that's cause I taught him high five (ect...) with my right hand. I've moved the bowl all over the house and kept it in his normal place. So I'm not buying this source's hypothesis.

Any thoughts? :)

http://scienceblogs.com/thoughtfulanimal/2010/04/monday_pets_why_do_dogs_push_their.php

Comments

• Sosuke pushes his food bowl around with his nose when he's trying to bury it. I know this, because he will usually go find something to cover it with, like a blanket or something, then he uses his nose to cover the bowl. He was always taking poor Hester's kitty blanket out of her bed and using that, so I simply started leaving him an old towel.
  • Argos does the same thing, and has for a while. We joke that it's like a kid pushing food around his plate so it looks like he ate more. But generally, he pushes it out of the way, out of sight, when he doesn't want it. I honestly think that's what it might be for him, at least. Just pushing it out of the way.
  • He's caching. Like Heidi said, he's 'burying" it.
    Juno caches (my dog and Heidi's are siblings) the food if she's not into it, but I just go up and talk to her and put it away myself and send her off to go play. I have three dogs and it wont stay cached for long if she is ever satisfied with the job and leaves it! I also dont like her to continue to worry over it. IF she doesnt want it, I remove it.

I think her caching of toys is quite cute however :)
  • Must run in the family because Kyuubi does the same thing :)
  • Haha! Maybe....I think it could certainly be plausible he wants to bury, either that or he hates the food. The Tokleton has also started to kick the ground after he eliminates. Except, he will pee... Then go 10 feet away and kick up the grass. Kind of defeats the purpose, but I don't tell him ;)
    Perhaps this nosing food bowl is just something else he is doing in his "come of age".
  • The kicking after a pee is a form of marking. It's a visual mark pointing to where he peed... and I think it leaves a scent mark because of the paw pads too.
  • That's wild, I didn't know that. Makes sense now that I think of it... I alwaysed wondered why he would mark then cover up his markings. Seems obvious now, lol
  • Yeah, my dogs do the "burying" thing when they don't want to eat their dinner for whatever reason.

Toby is the only one who does the kicking up of the grass/dirt, though. Because he's a badass. In his own mind! *lol*
  • LoL, all three of my pups kick after peeing, even my female Miyu. Tikaani is the worst at it though as he will kick up whole piles of leaves and dirt, often covering up Tetsu (who is peeing in the same spot) in the process. Be warned, avoid standing behind a dog while he's kicking unless you don't mind getting dirt flung at you.
  • Lol! I have now officially been warned about flying dirt ;)

Hmm... I just gave Toki a vegan chicken nuggets. Maybe not my best idea. But now he is nosing it as well. In addition to being completely confused by the fake chicken nugget. He doesn't know what to make of it. I am just going to take the advice from all of y'all and say he is trying to bury it.
  • Oh Koda did that when we went out of town last week. He is not into food/water when we go on trips together. It looks like he's mad at the bowl.
  • @jellyfart Vegan CHICKEN nugget? What? That doesn't make any sense.

Conker never nosed his food bowl around, but he did dig like mad in the water dish. He would flip his lid over it being less than half full and would digdigdig and scream and make a mess until I refilled it. Thankfully, he does not do that anymore.
  • Haha, it is made out of soy things. It tastes wonderful, just like chicken. But I guess Toki isn't fooled.
  • :) "made out of soy things" :)
  • @jellyfart I saw a dog at an Agility trial who had been taught to "wipe your feet." It would kick up the ground on command! It was awesome. Its my favorite useless trick I wish I could teach one of my dogs.
  • I need to teach Toki that! I love useless things! I want to teach him to "do the wiggle" or "are you sexy and you know it?" cause he wiggles his butt when he shakes and it's adorable.
  • Rakka is the worst for kicking up grass and dirt! I stop for one second and she goes to town.

And then I'm like, thanks, Rakka, cause the first thing I thought when I saw that person's lawn was, "Boy would I love that in my mouth."
  • Kimi and Yoshi both do this when they get tired of a particular kibble and want a change. I started grabbing sample sized bags to test new flavors...look crazy putting out a half dozen bowls each with something new, but buying the obvious favorite (and remembering the second choice) makes life easier for the next few months. :-)