Cynopraxis: Anyone familiar with this dog training approach/philosophy?

edited April 2012 in Behavior & Training
This is a cross post that I started on the other side which is probably more appropriate on this side.

While doing a search regarding operant conditioning and instinctive/natural behaviors I came across this web site.

http://cynologist.com/

Its founder, Steven R. Lindsay defines cynopraxis (means dog to do things) as, "Cynopraxic training proceeds on the assumption that dogs and people possess a shared capacity to establish relations based on fair exchange. Such training promotes cognitive, emotional, and behavioral changes conducive social competence, cooperation, and play. Cynopraxic training objectives are governed by two essential social and life experience criteria: (1) enhance the human-dog relationship and (2) improve the dog’s quality of life."

Reading the various articles I was impressed with the knowledge that I was able to glean. Usually, I avoid specific orientations that attempt to or merge various disciplines together to create "a brand new ontology" like pop pseudoscience psychology fads. If anything, I found this approach to be a valid codification of many disciplines. Even though the readings are quite technical I believe it to be valuable source for training.

Lindsay has published the, Handbook of Applied Dog Behavior and Training: volumes 1-3. Its a bit pricey but I will be looking to purchase it ebook format. Some reviewers have said that the third volume is the only one that you need. Yikes its 818 pages.

http://www.amazon.com/Handbook-Applied-Behavior-Training-Vol/dp/0813807387/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1335583946&sr=8-7

What do you think?

Comments

• Sounds very interesting, tell us what you think if you do happen to get the book. Might be worth taking a gander at, if only for the speculation.
  • Hi! I've been taking a look at those books lately, but so far I've only read the theoretical chapters that explain the development stages of puppies, and the basics of learning. There's a lot of information about the neurobiology and psychology of behavior and learning, very technical and scientific. I'm not an expert on the subject of canine behavior, and considering English is not my native language, it has been pretty hard to keep up with the book.

@InuRyuu I was wondering if you had read the book already?