GPS Dog Tracking - Garmin Astro combo

Hey all,

Kuma, my shikoku, is 8mo old and we are starting to do more wilderness hikes. I'm going to be taking him mtbiking a lot when he is older including long alpine rides. all off leash obviously. He's been pretty good at recall so far but one never knows what will happen when a deer crosses our path....

I've been considering a gps collar (esp the bright orange version - Kuma looks too much like a coyote in colour) and it looks like the Garmin Astro 320/220 receiver and DC 30/40 collar/transmitter are the way to go (can't really find much else!) but are pretty pricey at ~$600.

- anyone tried this combo or other combos? thoughts?
- anyone selling a used set?
- anyone know of a good online seller with lower prices?
- if there is enough interest, perhaps some store/site will give a group buy? @jikjak @dlroberts @BradnJess @hondru and any others interested?

if you know anyone else on the forum who may have some input, please wrap them into the conversation.

Tx!

Comments

• id be interested in buying one if theres a group boy or good deal on one.
  • I had a astro combo up until cali banned them for hunting dogs. It's a great tracking system and pretty much it's the best option Out on the market. Depending on the terrain, you may want to get a extended antenna for the hand held gps.

Best place to buy a good used set right now is eBay. There's also new one at a unbeatable price on there also. Also try lion country dog supplies.
  • I'd highly recommend this piece of game changing hardware. I don't go to the mountains without it. Great for keeping an eye on your dogs, and it's always nice to have GPS on hand so us humans don't get lost either.
  • If you would rather spend a little less money you could get a tracker classic radio tracking system. I have a set for my dogs and although it takes awhile to get used to, it's not too bad of a set up. Only thing that it won't have is a gps unit. You can get a one collar set for under $400 but I would rather have a garmin then the radio tracker.
  • @shishiinu--why are they outlawed in ca? I'm shopping for gps collars too for kaiju and Kilbe.
  • @shishiinu - ya looks like a 220/DC 30/40 combos can be a bit less (some of those deals won't ship to Canada). I'll probably spring for the newest 320/DC40 combo I guess... You sold your combo?
  • @ttddinh - They aren't illegal in CA. It's only illegal to use them while hunting. You can absolutely use them to keep track of your dogs.

@Eljefespeaks - I'm actually more interested in the Sportdog Tek 1.0 right now. It tends to be slightly cheaper than the Astro. From what I've read, it's less GPS focused and more dog tracking focused. The difference is subtle. The Astro is a full featured GPS with maps that localizes you and your dog(s) on those maps. The Sportdog simply gives you direction and distance to your dog(s). But, it also combines an e-collar which I find to be an invaluable safety tool when you've got a high-drive dog off leash.
  • edited April 2012
    @TheWalrus That's too good, I rely on Argos to get me back when I get lost...

@Eljefespeaks Brad and I have been discussing a tracking collar for a while. He found a GREAT (but $$$) one from the UK, I'll have to ask him and post about it later. It's not bright orange, but we were considering sewing some reflectors on his harness so he doesn't get mistaken. It's excellent anti-theft, too. Its got an "uncuttable, untamperable" lock and collar that sends out an emergency signal if anyone tries to remove it. Great consideration for us because we want to go hiking with him and I am very very uptight about him getting away AND dog thefts are a scary reality in this neck of the woods.

I would be interested in a group buy on another collar, though*. But I'll get the name of the other collar we were looking at and see if maybe we would be more interested in that?

*A group buy may need to wait until May or so, we'll be graduating this April (TWO MORE WEEKS!!!!!), and may have good summer jobs lined up, but finances are slim ATM.

Edit: Found the website, they're "Retrieva Collars": http://www.retrievatracking.com/
  • im liking the garmin astro 320/dc40 best so far. i guess its pretty much top of the line as far as dog tracking collars/navi go?
    it looks like it will also be good to use for hunting.
    what are the best prices you guys have found?
    its also easy to ship to pt. roberts,wa if some places wont ship to canada as well.
  • Lion Country has a special for the astro 320/dc40 bundle for $599 shipped or you can go to ebay and there's a listing for $575 shipped. These are probably the best deals that you will probably get unless some one else has some super deep deals.

Only problem with the Sportdog brand is its not a map based tracking system, it will only point to where the dog is located and from what I have heard the signal is not as strong as the Garmin. It would be a good first step tracking system for just walks but if you track in a area with steep terrain and hills the signal may not be good enough to track.
  • Got the Astro 320/DC 40 for Kuma before I left last week on a 3 week road trip into the Kootenays in southern BC. I hike with him off leash so wanted to have some extra assurance when I'm in grizz country and lotsa other wildlife in case he takes off. He's been great off leash hiking for the last number of months in the mountains on the north shore of Vancouver though.

@BradnJess - that Retrieva collar system from the UK is useless here as it doesn't work if there is no cel reception. Fine for the UK or any area where there is (near) full cover. I had a number of email exchanges with them and they would have made a custom one for Canada (way too expensive at 800) and then I realized that it only works if there is cel reception (and they confirmed it).
  • edited July 2012
    (oops double post - in slow wireless on vacation in Slocan...)
  • hey jeff! how is astro?

is it easy and handy to use? does it work well?
  • hey terence - works well; easy to use; lots of functionality that I haven't touched yet (some of which I don't really need as it is related to hunting - the astro tells you when your dog is pointing!). Only really used it once so far on a hike. we did not take the dogs into the alpine overnighter we went on in the Valhallas - not allowed in the park as it is too dangerous up there with dogs. major grizz country.