?? puppy monster or not??

edited March 2008 in General

heres a good one for you all. I have a 5 1/2 month old black and tan male, we named ruxpin, but we are slowly starting to call ruxor (kinda sounds like a monster name) Why you ask well from everything i read males on average are about 25 lbs full grown, i talked to our breeder and found out his dad kumba was 31 at 8 months. Well our little rux is at 32 1/2 pounds already and he IS NOT fat by any means, he's skin and big bones. What kind of size are the males you all have, like. Even the females

thanks i know im new but im really really curious.

Steven

Comments

• edited March 2008

Im 6'2 and 270, at my height they say I should be 180, at that weight I would be skin and bones. Yes I am overweight, but with a bigger bone structure makes it harder to make a goal of 180 really hard to do. You kind of got to look at the dogs the same way.

The best way to tell is in pretty much every Vet is a diagram that shows ways to tell how your bet is overweight. If you see the ribcage sucked in its too skinny, if you cant see the bone structure at all or something like that its too heavy.

Usually you just want to see a proper form, no excess skin or jiggle in the trunk well you know what I mean.

We thought Niko was fit, until we saw Sasha and Lucy. We realized Niko's a Fat Ass...

• edited November -1
    Yeah, your boy is HUGE.  My male is about 5 and he weighs in at a really fit 27lbs, and he is already to big for standard.
  • edited November -1
    WOW! Your boy is BIG!  I have a 7 month old boy who was 20.5 lbs. about 3 weeks ago. 
  • edited November -1

I've been told that males should average 22 and females 17. Lucy fluctuates between 15.6 and 16.3 (we weigh her on the baby scale). I wouldn't mind her having a bit more chunk, but I can't seem to get weight on her. I'm already feeding her almost 3/4 of a cup twice a day.

I've heard that keeping young dogs lean does wonders for them toward the end of their life. No first hand experience with this though. 

• edited November -1
    Moto is 26lbs and I am working to get him to lose a lb.
  • edited November -1

First off, welcome to the forum Steven!

As for your "Puppy Monster", I am assuming he is a Shiba, and if so he is HUGE! I mean, that is 5+ pounds over the standard and he is only 5.5 months. He is probably close to his final size but he is still large.

At the show last weekend we saw some VERY LARGE Shiba... I wonder if this is a trend. Hope not.

Where did you get your Puppy Monster?

• edited November -1

Welcome!  Wow that is a big boy.  Our "Fat ass" weighs about 18 pounds and could loose a pound or 2 but is not necessary.

Shiba's are getting bigger and from what I understand that is very bad breeding.  A breeder that cares and is in tune with the standards should have never bred with your pups father if he was that out of standards. 

• RyuRyu
    edited November -1
    Ryu's 5.5 months and weighs approx 20 lbs. He seems a little small though - generally speaking. Maybe I'm just used to seeing Labs next to him and he looks teeny. :)
  • edited March 2008
    5.5 months and 20lb sounds right on target to me.
  • RyuRyu
    edited November -1

That's good to hear :)

• edited November -1
    Our Koshi is the maximum height for the Shiba standard, 16.5 inches at the withers.  He is 24 lbs.  How tall is your furry boy?
  • edited November -1

Hi Steven. Welcome to the forum. I don't have a Shiba, but at that age, Ruxor is definitely HUGE. And since he's only 5 months, I think he will continue to grow. At 9 months, Keigo was 91lbs. He'll be 3 soon and he's a 110lbs and has been 110lbs since about 18 months old. Mika also grew a great deal from 5 months to 18 months - went from about 60lbs to 85lbs. The vet did say that Keigo wouldn't grow anymore at 9 months old, but he did and he's not at all fat. They are Akita's, but if I remember correctly, my Cocker Spaniel also grew between the ages of 5 months and 18 months. 

Chad...I think 180lbs sounds like a female healthy weight at your height. For us, it's 100lbs for 5' and then 5lbs for every inch above 5', so 170lbs at 6'2". I would think a man's healthy weight would be much greater than 10lbs. Kurt is 6'4" and about 210lbs, which, I think, would be a good healthy weight if he were fit and lacking his big budda belly (I really am just super mean)!!! LOL.