Met a Super-Cute, Kind-of-Unusual Shiba

edited September 2012 in Shiba Inu (柴犬)

Comments

• His markings are certainly not "show quality". But he certainly is cute.
  • How old is Griffin? He looks as though he may have something else in him.
  • edited September 2012
    @sukoshi's mom - I asked about his "type" and originally thought he might have something else in him. I don't think so now, tho.
  • He has a collie face. No, he does not have a "desirable" type. Sounds like a nice pet though.
  • Kind of looks like uber-Shiba Toby.

Jesse
  • He doesn't look pure Shiba, but he certainly is handsome! What a sleek little guy, looks super "wolfy", I dig it.
  • He's very handsome! I personally like the build of the lankier Shibas. Conker is like that, actually. If you make that Shiba red, they'd look almost identical. My guess is that if he's pure, would be that he was either a pup who just turned out a bit different, or the breeder was not choosy with type when they bred him.
  • Sounds like a sweet guy, and he's cute, but yeah, not to type at all. head/ears/muzzle proportions are wrong.
  • I checked the websites for two of the breeders in New Hampshire listed on the NSCA website. Neither site has any dogs resembling this guy.
  • Agree with Lindsay about the collie face. Something about the eyes... also the sable quality of coat. Sheltie somewhere in his history, maybe?
  • edited April 2012
    Not a (recent) mix I am guessing. The dog actually has a pretty correct sesame. A "collie appearing face" is something that is seen in Shibas whose heads become too narrow (from cheek to cheek), and many also have narrow snipey muzzles, and the forehead may take on a somewhat bulging appearance (the brain has to go somewhere) which, with the oriental eye, accentuates that feature. The radar dish ears on this one make it stand out more. I've seen it in really well bred Shibas too, but it's not desirable. Seems to be a throwback when it happens, and in mill dogs, from continuing to breed snipey dogs to more snipey dogs, since a lot of buyers seem to really like the ultra accentuated fox or primitive dog "look".
  • I see a lot of dogs in Tokyo that look like a Shiba but are a bit too big or off color and when I ask the owners they always tell me the dog is a Zaishu (mixed breed). His color is beautiful but something about those big ears.......?????
  • @lindsayt - thank you for taking the time to clear things up! I feel so typical, lol, because that foxy face is totally what sunk me. I love it.

Kind of reminds me of the Jomon, but their skulls seem larger.
  • I saw a coloring like him on a breeder's site recently. I believe they called the coat a black sesame. He's beautiful. My two mixes also had big ears. One was a shepard mix, the other was probably a mix with another nihonken. They were both sesame but redder, with big ears and a fox type look.