Tsune says hello :)

edited March 2012 in Shiba Inu (柴犬)
Hey everyone, my search for a Shiba came through! This is Tsune (shortened from Kitsune), he's 1 1/2 years old and a rescue. His owner had to give him up due to not being able to keep up with his energy. He breeds Great Danes and had a new litter, then his relationship ended, and it was just too many dogs for one person to take care of. It was either find someone this weekend to take him or send him to city animal "shelter". So I drove 375 miles round trip yesterday to go pick him up and take him home with me :)

He has full papers for being a purebred and grew up around 5+ Great Danes and is very friendly with other dogs + owners. I left the owner's house at 1am and got home at 4am, Tsune slept the entire way without any crying, then we set up in my room... followed by an hour of nervous whining lol. I took him out for 30mins of "migration mode" running and sprints, but that did little to dampen his Shiba honor, he must find his clan! So he called for them over the next 5 hours while I snuck in 10min naps against the door so that he wouldn't wake everyone in the house up with his highly skilled taiko drumming, using the door as his instrument. Took him out an hour ago to explore the pool deck, then went for a good 15min neighborhood walk just to explore, do business, and get the lay of the land. Met two neighbors and their dogs, he was a little bouncy wanting to play with the non-athletic FWD's (fluffy white dogs) but was very friendly with the neighbors and allowed them to pet him.

This is my first dog after a lifetime of cats, super excited! Can't wait until he's more comfortable with his new pack and relaxed.

Comments

• Welcome! Good looking fellow. Hope the adjustment period smooths out.
  • Welcome and congrats on your addition!
  • Thank you! He gets more relaxed by the hour, finally laid down and took a nap in the sun by the glass door :)

Here's a closeup!

• Congratulations!!!!!! That was fast.
  • Yay! Congrats! He looks great too... in the first pic it looks like he's smirking haha

I also sent you a message on the kind of training I do.
  • Nice! he looks pretty calm. You're in south FL right? Depending on where you are, maybe next meetup me and @sangmort have you can join us! We're both in central FL.
  • edited March 2012
    Thanks guys! It was pretty fast surprisingly, it was two weeks of searching and emails. Then within 48 hours this situation popped up where the owner was only going to be in town for one night between trips, and it was pound or adoption. So 10pm cross-state road trip it was. He's been such a good boy, took him out to World of Beer's puppy happy hour to socialize a little, was a little aloof at the start but warmed up quickly when people listened and let Tsune approach them first :) He does have a little smirk haha.

@Yandharr Hey yeah I'm in Boca Raton, I actually drove out to central'ish FL to pick him up, Arcadia (40 miles NE of Ft Myers). I was just looking at The Original A-Holes post lol it looks like a blast, I'd love to join! With two weeks notice any day is doable. So funny that all the NK seem to have their own little play group going and don't pay any mind to the other dogs.
  • Congrats! He's a handsome dude! :) ~