Kai's colour

edited March 2012 in Kai Ken (甲斐犬)
Has anyone else had this "problem" with Kai. Nuuk is now shedding and it seems that his colour is changing from black to brown. Could colour change be possible?

Comments

• I have noticed with my shiba and shikoku that their colors change slightly when they shed, so Nuuk could be doing a similar thing and the browning could go away when he's done shedding.
  • Yes, I've seen colors change for a myriad of reasons. Do you have any pictures?
  • edited March 2012
    The color does change as they shed (any dog). I had a chow/lab cross who was black, and when she was blowing her coat, it came out brown. It looked odd for a bit til it was out. (she got the double coat from the Chow part, apparently, and she had a very striking purple tongue!)
  • Conker isn't a Kai, but he turns a much deeper shade of red during the summer when he sheds out his undercoat. Most of the undercoat is white or light grey, so when it's gone, just the red overcoat is there so it looks richer. He also has some black hairs in his tail and neck that stick out during the summer as well.
  • My brindle Akita gets more vibrant red stripes when he blows his undercoat, which is a light grey color.