Wow...

edited March 2012 in Bills, Laws, etc.
So as every one knows I'm a avid hunter and for the last 7 years or so I have been volunteering with the local chapter of the National Wild Turkey Federation. Last year the county allowed a 2 day mentored youth turkey hunt to take place on a county park over run with wild turkeys. This year we were granted a larger open space preserve to conduct the same mentored 2 day youth turkey hunt. Two weeks ago name sof the youth hunters were drawn through a lottery drawing and I was assigned my youth hunter to mentor last week.

Well the ever relentless anti hunting community has found a way to destroy a great opportunity for young hunters to get out and learn about hunting and conservation. I'm at loss for words although we figured one day or another some thing like this would happen.

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2012/mar/13/county-sued-over-planned-turkey-hunt/

What do you say to a 11 year old that a hunt of a life time is canceled due to a baseless lawsuit?

Comments

• What a confusing lawsuit, the activists are suing because of the environmental impact, but the parks are "exempt from preparing an Environmental Impact Report because the turkey hunt would not have a substantial effect on the environment".

• this is horrible! I don't live in SD county but is there a petition that could be signed??
  • Ugh what a headache. Hope things get straightened out in time.
  • That's ridiculous. It doesn't seem like they have a legal leg to stand on, but I take it this will tie everything up long enough to delay or dispand the project?

On a side note, I guess it seemed like tempting fate too much with all of this talk about, well, to put it bluntly, rather dim animal rights groups (although this seems like a sly move - delaying the hunt). :/

Sorry this happened! I second @okiron
  • Sorry to hear that Gen :( ~
  • come on! Even in Massachusetts we celebrated youth turkey weekend!
    Be reasonable, California!
  • Thanks guys, yeah it's a real bummer. This will most likely tie every thing up and by the time things get clears up turkey season will be over. It's really a hert breaker for the kids, most of these kids wouldn't have a opportunity like this if we didn't set every thing up.
  • This absolutely sucks. The more I read about these crazies, the more I despise them. I feel bad for the kids and I hope they will get another chance to do something like this.
  • This is probably a silly question, but is there a way to change the location or do it out of state?
  • San Diego is relatively small and the only open area to conduct the turkey hunts was on county land. Going out of state would cost too much since some of the kids come from single parent house holds.
  • I just feel sorry for the kids.

PS Turkeys aren't even native to California. They should technically all be killed to reduce their negative impact on the environment.
  • Yeah the kids are the real losers in this mess. Wild turkeys are a reintroduced specie in California. So at one point they were native and they have no impact on the wildlife here.
  • Oh lol well I stand corrected. Still they are food!!!!
  • Super tasty good at that! It tastes so much better then store purchased turkey. I may have to cook some up for you when your down here Tara!
  • This sucks! It really is awful for the kids.
  • @shishiinu You'll make me want to visit more. he he. My grandmother had a farm. We always had fresh chicken, eggs, turkey, beef, and pork. Yes fresh is so much tastier!!!
  • I agree wild turkey taste much better friend gave my dad some they hunted he made turkey gumbo.

Anything in the wild or grass fed taste yummier farm fresh eggs which came from chicken which got to eat insects and things in the sun taste much better too.

This so sad for the kids and parents. :\

I hope something can be done to fix this so next year it won't get screwed up.
  • Wait, have they actually put a stop to the hunt (gotten an injunction) or are they just suing?
  • Most likely the judge will temporarily stop the hunt until documents are submitted but I have a feeling that the county will see this as a hassle and stop the hunt.
  • That really sucks for the kids. :(
  • Dang, that is so crappy.
  • That's really sad for the kids.

And... I can't imagine that they'd manage to kill enough turkeys to make much of an impact no matter what. Hopefully this can get straightened out, at least for next year as one of the previous posters said.

I've never had fresh turkey, but I imagine it has to be delicious.
  • Waiting to hear back right now to see if it's on hold or the judge tossed it out today. Fingers crosses, I have heard that the judge overseeing the case is two brain cell shy of being brain dead.
  • let us know
  • Oh wow...how lame and totally frustrating!
  • Found out that the judge couldn't hold the hearing and no new hearing date set yet so as of now the hunt is still on until further notice. I hope the courts are too busy with legitimate cases that they can't get this bs case in any time soon.
  • That's good to hear! I hope that nonsense falls through and is never seen in court.
  • Bad news the case is going to be heard next week. The hunt is supposed to start next weekend so fingers crossed.
  • Dang, go figure. Well, I hope it comes out in your favor.