Thoughts on this no jumping dog tool?

edited March 2012 in Behavior & Training
Called the jump stopper

This durable aluminum bar allows a dog handler to use positive, humane training techniques to stop a dog from jumping. The bar adjusts six inches (from 18" up to 24") to ensure comfortable, secure use for different-size people and dogs. The ergonomic easy-grips provide firm control during handling, and are made of soft TPE rubber. Also included is a 4-foot-long x 3/4-inch-wide leash.

http://www.absolutelynew.com/content/products/jump-stopper

Dunno how this would be good for a dog to learn to not jump?

Bella is a bad jumper she got better at it with work, but recently regressed because my dad been letting her jump on him recently. :\

Been we working with her and so far she doing better still not 100%, but don't think I'd need this to help.. lol

Comments

• It almost looks like one of those catch poles you see Animal Control use. I imagine that the stiffness of the pole helps you maintain better physical control over the dog, making it easier to use pressure to stop the jumping. I wouldn't necessarily say it's positive, though it depends on how you define positive. I'd imagine that if I were to try that on one of my guys, it would cause them to stress out due to the restraint the pole would put in them.
  • Yeah, I don't really get it how it works....maybe like Beth said? Certainly doesn't look positive though. Odd.

I don't really mind the Shibas jumping (they do all the time), but when Oskar jumps it's pretty intense since he's as tall as me when he's on his hind legs. Luckily he doesn't do it often.

• It looks like it could break easily if dog were to bite it..

Probably just one of those quick fix things that people make like those no bark collars so on..

Saya jumps and yeah it's not as annoying as say 55lb or 58lb boxer Bella, but I work with her to not do it she just looses it sometimes because she is so happy we have guests. hehe
  • Yeah... it looks like it just makes it easier to physically prevent the dog from jumping. I'm not really sure how that would constitute training, especially positive.

I suppose you could use a clicker or whatever in combination with it and provide positive reinforcement when the dog doesn't jump while controlled by it (as many dogs would eventually give up trying when they find they can't, though others of course wouldn't), but... I can easily see many dogs just freaking out about the thing.