America's Family Pet Expo - soCal

aykayk
edited March 2012 in Showing, Shows, & Events
The Exhibitor map for the Pet Expo is up. They've completely moved things around. Methinks the focus has shifted from breeds (dogs, cats, birds) to rescues.

http://petexpooc.com/

Comments

• It's a noble sentiment. I'm seeing a lot of empty spaces though, but it looks just as full as ever (if not more). Have they been increasing or decreasing in exhibitors/vendors?

Jesse
  • aykayk
    edited March 2012
    The cat and bird building have been eliminated.

A bunch of educational demos have been eliminated as well. No urban mushing demo for instance. I've heard that the people behind the scenes (not the people running the expo though) have decided on these changes.
  • edited March 2012
    Glad to see that they honored Corina's request for the Kai, Shikoku and Kishu to be next to each other. Jindo, Akita and JA are in the same area too.

oo @brada1878 might be interested that the Boerboel and Cane Corso is nearby too!
  • No we got moved it looks like. I really do not like the new location at all.
  • aykayk
    edited March 2012
    @*JackBurton* At least you still have a 10' x 20' space.
  • I didn't think we had that before.
  • aykayk
    edited March 2012
    Yep, you did except it was long/deep rather than wide.
  • Looks like the website crashed?

Jesse
  • I can't install silver light on my iPad, so I can't see the map. Wish it was a PDF or SVG. I take it the Akitas are no longerby the beer garden? A wide booth instead of a deep booth sounds nice for exposure to the dogs though.
  • Haha... Silverlight fail you such ms.

I should bring Parka too! He could scare everyone!
  • edited March 2012
    Oh I didn't mean we were in the same spot as last year, but that we are in the same dog area as one another :)
  • Yeah, John made me aware of this possible change last year concerning this year. I was hoping it wasn't going to get approved, I loved our previous years booth spot, lol. We will have to spiff up our booths and make it cozy. Aside from a snack bar/lunch line...maybe I should get extra large soft side crates for the humans? A couple of throw pillows, some blankets and those helping out can take shifts "napping" away from the busy public. =p

-----------------------------------

I actually need to get some "food options" for our snack bar and lunch menu. What kinds of snacks (chips, cookies, crackers, butter toffee popcorn, veggies, fruits, etc), meats (lunch meats - thinking for sandwhiches) and beverages (in addition to bottled water...juices, soda, power drinks - gatorade, etc) does everyone like? Buying food at the Expo, especially for all 3 days, can get quite expensive. Maybe we can do a Pot Luck?

I need to find out if we have an outlet, I really want Nachos!
  • Mmmmmmm nachos... And did I hear there's a beer garden?!
  • Claire, they moved us one building over. All of us. Our booth is wider now but not as deep. It looks like they want you to walk past the rescues to get to the pets.
  • I don't remember there ever being a center aisle of exhibitors through the breezeways? I thought it was always one side or the other with plenty of room in the middle?

As for food, I can provide those party platters from Costco with the chicken/turkey wrap sandwiches...

Jesse
  • Yeah, that's changed. On the south (?) side of the "Parade of Products" breezeway, there used to be dog breed booths that were all 20' deep. Now it's rescue booths 10' deep with a center row.

I'm not liking that the Kai, Kishu, Shikoku, and Jindo booths are 10'x10' because there really are some non-dog-savy people walking all the way into a booth sometimes, but with high enough ex-pens to keep them and their hands out, I hope it'll be okay.
  • aykayk
    edited March 2012
    One other change that I noticed just now. On Friday, members of the public can bring their dogs to the Pet Expo. o_O Now I'm really glad they tucked my booth in the far, far corner.
  • Yeah, I saw that people can bring their own dogs. Hopefully things go well this year with them allowing the public to do that. Just glad they are allowing it on the Friday and not Saturday where it's busier.
  • I didn't know the "bring your dogs" thing was new... that's very stupid.
  • At least they gave conditions to bringing your own pets. Must be spayed/neutered, no retractable leashes, 1 dog per adult (18 years of age and older). Dogs must abide by the designated locations, etc.

http://petexpooc.org/?p=197

Jesse
  • I could bring drinks and hand sanitizer :)
  • Nachos and beer mmmmmmm....
  • Ugh at people bringing their pets. Thanks for the PDF Sean.
  • I had one request - DO NOT MOVE ME AWAY FROM THE BEER GARDEN. I am not amused by this oh and for the record I promise not to do any crappy interviews with PetsTV this year either.
  • Thanks for the laugh, Sean :)
  • What have we learned here? Never move a man away from his beer. Lol
  • Is anyone staying at a hotel close by? I saw the Hilton on the website, but are there any other recommendations?
  • I don't know how high or low you're planning on going with your hotel budget, but there's a Regency Inn right across the freeway from the Fairgrounds.

Regency Inn
    (949) 650-2988
    2544 Newport Blvd.
    Costa Mesa, CA 92627