Bella the fun police

edited March 2012 in Behavior & Training
Not sure how to describe this, but when we go to the dog park with Bella and Saya and Saya finds a dog she likes and wants to wrestle with Bella gets in between it.

I don't want this behavior to turn into aggression. It's like Bella is trying to protect Saya..

Usually When Saya is snarky with the rude dogs they'll get the hint and greet her and not go right into wrestle. Labs, and huskies seem to think Saya always want to wrestle even though she hasn't met them. She seems to want to greet said dog before deciding if she wants to wrestle and chase or go back to chasing a leaf or sniffing around.

I'm wondering is there a way to work with Bella so she doesn't get in between when Saya is having fun playing?

I've been just having mom be in the second large dog area and I'm in the first or other way around. I think it'd be good for her to get alone time anyways they can play at home when ever.

Still I thought I'd ask if it's something we can work on so Bella can understand when Saya is playing she isn't in trouble.

Saya is pretty vocal when she plays..

I'll try to get a video of the behavior next time I don't have a good video camera atm..

Comments

• I don't really have any suggestions, but it reminds me of the sheltie mix my parents used to have. Any time my dog would start playing, Megan (the sheltie cross) would hurry over and growl or bark and block the play. In that case, though, I don't think Megan had ever learned -how- to play (she was already 11 or 12 years old when she came to live with us and had been an only dog for most of that), and... beyond that I have no idea.

Perhaps try to distract Bella while Saya is playing and reward her for paying attention to something else (you, probably)? I don't really know.
  • I don't have any suggestions either, but everytime I read the title "the fun police" I laugh out loud!

And my dogs do get upset if I'm playing with one. If the others are outside, and I'm playing with Toby inside, they stare through the window and look jealous.
  • I don't know if I saw this thread before and the title entered my brain subconsciously. But since introducing Mosura to the rest of our pack, I have taken to referring to Gojira as the "fun police." Whenever Ghidora and Mosura are chasing each other or playing tug, Gojira decides she has to break it up.
  • This funny video reminds me of Saya and Bella. lol

http://toofu.tv/video/235/embed
  • I'm not saying your dog will, but I have seen the "fun police" become aggressive. Two people would be messing around(wrestling) and he would get really upset, bark and then bite. Sometimes without warning... there was no chasing wrestling, pushing anything when he was out. The owner did a horrible job of socializing his dog though, so that could have been part of the problem.
  • edited April 2012
    Bella never like that with people. She is with dogs.

We are working on it so far we just go to the separate parts of the dog park that way they have their own time alone.

Bella never did puppy class sadly, but she is pretty good with other dogs just gets worried or nervous when Saya plays with another dog.