[VIDEO] Kishu Ken "catching" a boar

Ran into this video of some Kishu working a boar today. It's also a great example of how steep the Japanese terrain can be...

Comments

• edited March 2012
    Embedding is disabled on the video, here is a link:
  • Great video, the video is made by the same person with the website about the Hosoda Kishu ken that I attached to another thread. He has a great bunch of dogs and a great place to train boar dogs.
  • Very steep terrain indeed! And I thought my steep hills and ravine was hard to go up and down!

Tough kishu ken there.
  • I love seeing Kishu do their thing! The guys other videos are nice too.

I have been trying to find a video of Shikoku hunting but have had no luck. Are Kishu the most used NK in Japan for hunting?
  • Shigeru (thewalrus) has some videos of Shikoku lens baying up hogs. There's some past threads with those videos. From what I have heard and seen out of the medium sized breeds the Kishu is probably used much more but there are dogs known as jiinu (area specicif breeds) that are more common. Many of the jiinu has kishu blood lines.
  • I am impressed with the dogs' work, but I kinda found myself wishing the guy would quit filming and shoot it already. If he wasn't filming, would he be waiting anyway before killing the pig (for it to tire more or something? or for the dogs to not be in the way?) or would he probably have killed it by now?
  • Chrys, that's why I don't have many videos of dogs on boar. If it's bayed up or caught, I'd rather just dispatch it quickly.

The gentleman taking the video is a friend of mine. I've seen those dogs in action.