Japanese Dog Merchandise

edited March 2012 in General
My friend found this for me today: http://waken-zanmai.jp/

Comments

• OMG, I want the Shikoku Mug and "Dog on Board" stickers...and...bzzzzz (excitement overload)

Jesse
  • Oh man, great stuff! Love the Shiba at the top of the page, too!
  • Wish I lived in Japan... Neat Kai stuff.
  • http://waken-zanmai.jp/SHOP/MGHOK003.html - Someone should buy me this mug.
  • Cuteness overload...I wonder if we could buy it and have it shipped overseas...
  • edited March 2012
    OMG, need a shikoku mug!! Combining the two things that get me through university: Argos and coffee. ;D

Edit: Looks like there are shikoku business cards, too. Make a great gift for my favourite breeder. :)
  • I ran the site through google translate. They do not have an actual stor, it is all mail order only. Moreover, they do not ship outside of Japan. However, there are a couple folks living in Japan on this board, perhaps they would be willing to help with the shipping? Just a thought.
  • Argh, this stuff is awesome! If I hadn't just spent a lot on Conker's vet visit I'd probably commission someone in Japan to send me some of it!
  • Cute! I really like the mugs, stickers, and cell phone baubles. Their tags look a lot like the tags/keychains sold at Shiba Goods... but it looks like they're actually backed on metal, instead of plastic like the latter.

Some of the Shiba designs look a bit more like Huskies to me. But still cute!
  • wow want them all :D
  • http://members2.jcom.home.ne.jp/adachiya/index.html

I found the Adachiya store in Asakusa today. I purchased a show collar and leash for my female Akitas. They did not have the male Akita collar in gold in stock, so I will go back on Wednesday to pick it up when they restock (already paid for). They had plenty of the rolled leather collars and silk leashes in a rainbow of colors and many sizes.

If there is anything people want from Adachiya, I am happy to pick it up for them next week. I would need the money sent to me via PayPal first. Most of their "trinkets" are Shibas, just a few Akita things and nothing for the other breeds. I took photos of everything of interest while I was there, and will post them here shortly.

Just a "short" list of tuff I saw - rolled leather collars, silk leashes, flat collars and leashes with Japanese fabric patterns, adjustable rope puppy leashes, heavy braided leashes, a variety of red Shiba figurines (ranging from 2-3" to almost 16" in height), many Shiba stickers with reds or black-and-tans, a large "realistic" red Shiba plushie, small "chibi" Shiba plushies in red and black-and-tan, the same chibi plushies as keychains, wash cloths with Shibas on them (both colors), mittens and gloves with a Shiba head, a small pad of notepaper with many Shibas on the cover, ballpoint pens with Shiba figures on top, a metal keychain of a red Shiba head, a matching tote bag with the same red Shiba head, a red Akita coffee mug in a stylish shape, a bowl glass mug and small token with a red Shiba puppy face and front legs on it, three varieties of Akita stickers to go in your car window (oval, Akita in car, and Akitainu Hozonkai), many beautiful happicoats for small and medium dogs (none for Akitas), some dog shirts with cherry blossoms and/or Japanese text on the back (all sizes), some stripped jumpers for dogs (all sizes), and.... Probably other stuff I have forgotten!!

I'll try to get the photos up ASAP.
  • Those black collars are very nice. I imagine they would look great on a NK.

By the way, your photos of Fuji-san are incredible! I never get tired of looking at that mountain.
  • Ok, there are a couple of things I can't live without! Sent you a message! And thanks for making the offer, too!
  • just how much is the male gold show collar out of curiosity? I heard they're expensive.
  • @jellyfart I think it was about $145 USD. The prices of all the collars are listed on the Adachiya website I linked but here's the Akita page: http://members2.jcom.home.ne.jp/adachiya/akita.html

@Jbm0024 Thank you. I will have more photos up (with some post processing done) after the trip. Also in regards to the black collars, if you mean the flat ones with the metal studs in them... They look very much like what I saw at the Akita Inu Museum, and I am jokingly trying to convince my husband to let me buy the most badass one which is 38,850 yen (roughly $470).
  • Ha! Those collars with the metal studs were the ones I liked too, but knew they were beyond my price range, and indeed they are WAY out of my price range! :)
  • edited March 2012
    @shibamisstress I found this collar on etsy still pricey @ $137, but similar to the black one. He has many other designs too. I like his Tosa Inu collars but they are too wide for my guys.

Black studded collar
    http://www.etsy.com/listing/79241645/akita-collar

his other ones
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/OLICOLLARS?ref=seller_info
  • I want the etsy one for Wraith! [ sans the flower in the front lol ] ~
  • Oh, there were black studded ones for less. That was the price of the *biggest* most badass looking one.
  • Thanks! I'm not really getting one--but I favorited the etsy link anyway--because Oskar's hair mats terribly under regular collars anyway, so we just used a thin, rolled collar. But I sure do like them!
  • I got a silver leather collar in Odate for my brindle Japanese Akita; a man selling them brought a few choices to AKIHO when we were visiting the museum. I looked at the silver collar and through the interpreter said I thought it might be too small. The AKIHO official there said, which didn't need much translation after seeing his gestures, "If the collar doesn't fit, it's not a Japanese Akita."! The Japanese collar on Etsy was first made for my Akita after I saw it in the Museum and loved it. I have a couple photos of him in it but am not sure how to post them. The "flower," which I think might represent a chrysanthemum, is such a traditional part of the collars. Luis did a very nice job and made a second one for the Akita Club of America's auction at the National.
  • I don't know if this will work: Eyeless Bubba in the Japanese-style double collar:
    Bubba, modeling his new collar, 8/14/11
  • btw, are those mannequins in the background?
  • That's a great pic, and he looks beautiful in the collar! Why is he eyeless, poor boy? Though he looks quite happy in his collar! :)
  • The mannequins are in his trainer's yard. The trainer does protection sports and circus classes, and all sorts of weird props come in handy. Bubba did 3 series of circus classes until he started growling at other large male dogs that worked near him. He was born with no eyes at all, though had polycysts poking out of his eye sockets. When he was 6 months old, he had the cysts removed and his lids sewn shut. He amazes me at how well he does; many people stand there talking to me for 5 minutes and don't notice he was no eyes. Unfortunately, he became aggressive when he was about 11 months old; he's now 2 years. I almost euthanized him today but decided to try pain meds after he had 26 x-rays to look for any abnormalities that might cause him pain. None seen, but I'm doing non-confrontational things to lower his dominance and starting him on pain meds. We may move on to nerve pain meds or something like Clomicalm. He had a CT scan before his eye surgery and it also showed moderate bilateral hydrocephalus, but so far he doesn't show any of the usual symptoms of that condition.
  • Here's a photo of Bubs before his cysts were removed:
    Bubba, 6/22/10
  • edited March 2012
    Oh that is heartbreaking. The whole story. I'm so sorry you're in this place, too, of having to think about having him euthanized. You've probably already done this, but have you checked his thyroid levels? It's often tied to aggression, and when my male GSD became aggressive, we discovered he had no thyroid function at all. After getting his thyroid level right, he never showed any aggression again (and he was biting people!) And btw, my vet--and others,including Dr. Jean Dodds--are convinced that low normal is not good enough in Akitas/Shibas, and while my GSD had NO thyroid function before he became aggressive, my Shibas were low normal and are now being treated, and I have noted that they show somewhat less interdog aggression when thyroid levels are right. (Hasn't solved it all with the Shibas, but it did help some).

Did Bubba have micro? Is why he had no eyes, or is this another eye problem in Akitas that caused the cysts? I have a boy with micro, but we're lucky that it is very very mild, and the eye doctor doesn't expect it will cause him problems. It's a terrible thing, though, usually.

anyway, I'm sorry to hear about the problems with Bubba, and I hope you'll be able to find a solution. And I'm glad he has you. Most people would have given up on him.