Dogo on Boar (mildy graphic)
  • ClayClay
    This morning hunt resulted in a fat young 50 kg boar being taken in the native bush of the south island in NZ.
    Bruno. 65 kg Dogo Argentino
    Bruno
    Bruno keeps hold of the pigs head while it is stuck
    Hunt- NZ
    Bruno rests after the kill
    50 kg Wild boar
    Bruno gets rewarded with his favorite food. A whole adult possum for breakfast
    Breakfast
  • jellyfishjellyfish
    Awesome!
    what is being eaten in the last photo?
  • shishiinushishiinu
    Sweet! Looks like Bruno is putting a hurting on those hogs. Possum hunting was one of favorite when I was over there.
    Gen, Ami, Kaylynn, Trinity, Yusuke......Riki, Hana, Sammi, Taro, and the newest addition Koyuki.
  • LosechLosech
    Nice!
    That looks like a good breakfast for a hog dog!
  • ttddinhttddinh
    Wow! Does bruno "catch" the hogs too? It looks like there are scratch and bite marks on it. Did you or Bruno induce the stomach wound?
  • ClayClay
    Just to answer your questions. @ ttddinch- No Bruno only puts his teeth into the boars head to hold it until I get there to heart stick with a bayonett. I remove the gut of the pig before carrying it out whole and that is why the gut cavity is open- This keeps the meat fresh. @ Jellyfart There is only one target species that Bruno is aloud to hunt and that is Wild pig. The bottom photo just shows Bruno having his breakfast which in this case is a whole possum which I have already trapped and killed.
  • shishiinushishiinu
    Hey Clay what kind of tracking system do you use?
    Gen, Ami, Kaylynn, Trinity, Yusuke......Riki, Hana, Sammi, Taro, and the newest addition Koyuki.
  • BradA1878BradA1878
    Nice catch, and nice dogo!

I think Parka would love being a catch dog. Blue too probably.
  • musashimusashi
    Cool pics.
  • shishiinushishiinu
    I would love to see Parka or Blue catch hogs!
  • ClayClay
    Hey Shishiinu- I use garmin tracking gear.
  • kimputaikimputai
    Thanks Clay.............that took away my appetite for the BBQ. -)
  • I love Dogos! I have looked into them for a few years now ... unfortunately, they are too big for my place right now.
    Bruno is very handsome =] !
    This is one of my many favorite pictures of Dogos!
    Photobucket
  • ClayClay
    This is also one of my favorite photos too!
  • amtiamti
    Very cool! Until a few days ago, I had no idea what a hog dog was. Our new pup was being housed with ten of these hog dogs. These dogs are amazing! My son had to give a shot to a pig that was over 200 pounds this evening and it took three teenagers to keep it still. It takes a lot of strength to keep a hog down and for your dog to do it alone is simply WOW!
  • WOW this is sooo cool. I am so interested in hunting with dogs, but to be honest I'd probably never try it. I don't think I could ever shoot or put a spear into something, lol. But it fascinates me so much. I love reading @TheWalrus 's blog for this same reason. If my hubby wanted a nihon ken and go hunting with him, i'd encourage him.
  • ZinjaZinja
    My Kai hunts squirrels if that counts :)
    -Joe
  • aykayk
    @amti - I knew of a dogo hunter that also had a pet shiba. By chance is the dogo hunter Cazadores?
  • Hinata23Hinata23
    Holy Cow! Look at the muscles on that dog (Last picture, dog on the right)!! He's like the Dwayne Johnson of the dog world! Gosh...
  • aykayk
    That's Morocho De La Cocha.

La Cocha kennel in Argentina is run by the family of the breed founder. Dogs are true to their original function.
    Post edited by ayk at 2013-01-03 11:05:05
  • ZinjaZinja
    omg, is that the dog that fought the puma to save the kids?
    -Joe
  • aykayk
  • BradA1878BradA1878
    Those are some pretty nice looking dogo in that pic!
  • ClayClay
    Hey there Nihon community- Its 2012 was a good year for my Dogo Argentino Bruno. He sustained very little injury in all his hunting. The last boar he caught with this other dog pictured (a Dogo X Greyhound...the black and white dog) was an 80 kg wild New Zealand boar caught in the rain forest in the top of the south island.
    Photobucket
    Bruno & 80 kg wild boar -NZ
    Photobucket
  • rikumomrikumom
    We honeymooned in New Zealand, I miss South Island!!
  • shishiinushishiinu
    Nice hog Clay! Man I miss NZ, I hope I can go again soon. Congrats on the nice hog!
  • ttddinhttddinh
    Wow nice kills!
  • jikjakjikjak
    wow awesome kill!
  • BradA1878BradA1878
    Awesome!
  • BradA1878BradA1878
    Here's the dog's 101 video on "Morocho" (the Dogo mentioned above)

I have the opportunity to get a puppy from a Morocho son... Tho I dunno if I will do it.
  • ClayClay
    Post edited by BradA1878 at 2013-05-17 15:58:27
  • ClayClay
    Thats a great video you posted there brada1878 . Thank you
  • BradA1878BradA1878
    @Clay - Thanks. It's looking like my dogo pup will arrive here this weekend. The dam of my pup is the daughter of "Morocho". I'm excited.
  • mdokicmdokic
    @brada1878 you're getting a Dogo pup?! Whaaaa?!! So cool. So how many dogs do you have now?? :P
    Michelle, with Kai girls Kona and Kimber
    DSC_6037_NEW_banner
  • BradA1878BradA1878
    @mdokic - Yes, I've been waiting a long time for the right Dogo pup. I wanted one from lines who test their dogs on Puma. How many dogs? Too many! :P
  • CrispyCrispy
    @brada1878 Jealous! I've always been really interested in the Dogo. You'll have to tell us all about your pup! :,( So I can live vicariously.
    Akiyama no Roushya || 秋山の狼室 || www.kishu-ken.org
  • mdokicmdokic
    @brada1878 So. Cool. Cant wait to hear all about the pup! LOL i just got a flash of realization. THAAAAT'S why you were asking about names in Spanish!!! :D
    Michelle, with Kai girls Kona and Kimber
    DSC_6037_NEW_banner
  • BradA1878BradA1878
  • aykayk
    For hunting mountain lions or for protection?
  • shishiinushishiinu
    Dude you are really going to have to train that pup to hunt!
  • BradA1878BradA1878
    @ayk - A little of both. Hunting boar with Kishin or Jingu and the Laiki, and as "backup" for when I run Jingu and/or the Laiki on lion. This pup is a gift to me from a friend who I helped with some things.

My dogo's lines are the only puma-tested lines here in the USA. He's from Dr. Ulises D'Andrea-Nores nephew, so his dogs come from La Cocha Kennels (hints how my pup is grandson of Morocho). I had a chance to get a pup out of Morocho, but it was decided that the litter was abit too quarrelsome for my needs, and so I waited for this pup.

@shishiinu - Yep! And I hope you will be fully involved in that task! ;) It would be cool if he was comfortable enough with you and your dogs that you could borrow him if you wanted.

I also hope that once I have him trained I can maybe run him with Sakura... She shows some good instincts for that type of work.
  • souggysouggy
    Running boars with Laikas and a Dogo. Wouldn't that irritate the Laika community?

When you say he is from a puma-tested line, does that mean the puppy will be more dog-social than the other lines of Dogo Argentinos in North America? I know a few bear- and cougar-hunters who bought Dogos from Mexico or Columbia and found them too dog-aggressive to be hunted with.
    Blog: Prick-Eared - now featuring primitive dogs
    Post edited by souggy at 2013-05-20 23:03:55
  • BradA1878BradA1878
    @souggy - I'm sure it will irritate the Laika purists out there. It doesn't take much to do that. But running bay dogs with a catch dog (bay dogs bay, you release the catch dog to catch) is a pretty common way to hunt boar in the US.

Dogo Argentinos are not supposed to be quarrelsome. They are made to run and work in a pack. There are a lot of people who mix their Dogos with game-bred Pitbulls and so produce rather quarrelsome versions of the breed. I know that is very common in Mexico.

Puma-tested just means the dogs from the line are proven on large cat. Most of the Dogos in America come from lines proven on boar, but not used at all on big cat... this line of dogo is proven on both.
  • WrylyBrindleWrylyBrindle
    So where is Dogo Andersino? its already Tuesday and way past "this weekend"... ;) or is it Next weekend?
  • aykayk
    There are pure dogos that are quarrelsome at home, but at soon as they see the hunting gear, their focus are on the upcoming hunt and not each other. Even intact male dogos from different households that hate each other at first sight will settle down once they see that a hunt is upcoming.
  • souggysouggy
    Thanks for explaining, @brada1878.
    Blog: Prick-Eared - now featuring primitive dogs
  • BradA1878BradA1878
    @WrylyBrindle - I'm leaving in 30 minutes to get him. The heat delayed his arrival till today.
  • WrylyBrindleWrylyBrindle
    oh boy! enjoy! He and Sakura will make a nice salt n pepper mastiff puppy set. :)
    Post edited by WrylyBrindle at 2013-05-21 15:59:35

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion