The White Chest Mark

edited March 2012 in Kai Ken (甲斐犬)
So, I thought that Ciqala's white chest mark was a unique genetic "blooper" but as I'm cruising through Kai photos I realize that it may be rare but it happens, and in the same general location. I know the standards as of now are kind of wacky so, breeders, do you consider this a fault/flaw. Could this signify a more genetically balanced dog for your program? b/c recessive phenotypes are expressed (probably a dumb question to anyone that knows anything about genetics) hypothetically would you try to make this a more dominant feature?

I also noticed that some tend to have a strong gray/white contrasting undercoat hair color. once again, more desirable or less, or does it even matter to you?

Comments

• A white spot on the chest can sometimes be caused by incomplete melanocyte migration.
    http://homepage.usask.ca/~schmutz/dogspots.html
    There are other small white spots that have been linked to genetics though, so I am unsure if that is the case with Ciqala and other Kai or not. I'm no expert on canine genetics.
  • There are many Kai with white spots on their chest. In some it is larger than others. As long as the area is not too large, it's not a fault (KKA).
  • A lot of Shiba puppies are born with an obvious white mark on the chest and toes. This is not urajiro, but later blends in with the urajiro as the dog matures. I wonder if this is a very subtle expression of Irish Spotting? I don't know about the grey undercoat in Kai. Mine has red and brown.
  • edited February 2013
    I would think so, @lindsayt. I know that pretty much all Japanese Akitas have Irish spotting, although on the reds it is usually hidden by Urajiro later on. It's a delicate balance; a specific amount of white is required for the brindles (六白 roppaku = "six white", on the legs, muzzle, and tail) but too much Irish spotting and you get blazes on the forehead and white bands around the neck. Blazes are fine on brindles but not on reds. White necks are never good. A dog with heavy black stripes will not show Urajiro (which only affects red pigment) although the genes for it are present.
  • edited March 2012
    Both Mei and Koda have white spots. Mei's is pretty tiny now, only a few hairs. Koda's has blended into his brindle as he's gotten older. Oh wait, Koda actually hast two. I forgot. They blend so well now.

The spots are genetic and not a flaw if small. It's when the white starts climbing down the chest and whote on the paws climbs up the legs. That's when you have a problem. I've seen one dog whose chest spot went down her body. It was definitely a flaw.
  • my kai has a white spot on her chest too :x