Great Interest in Joining the Shikoku Community

Hi all,
My name is Molly and I have been an owner and trainer of Shiba Inus for a while now. I love the breed and love working with the breed but I am interested in possibly working with a somewhat similar breed that is more biddable and enjoys working a bit more. I am also very interested in the preservation of Japanese breeds.

I first found out about the Shikoku, about 8 years ago, I couldn't find much information about it then but in the last few years, thanks to wonderful individual like yourselves, information has become quite accessible. From what I have read and seen online, they seem very much like what I am looking for temperament and drive-wise. They are also very beautiful.
I would be looking for a dog for competition obedience and also to do my part and eventually assist in preserving the breed by adding good, healthy and conformation correct dogs into the gene pool. I understand how few there are these days and how important it is to make every dog we can, count.

I have posted on these forums before a long time ago but I am mostly a lurker. Being a professional dog trainer, its hard to find the time to devote to forums, but I will try to read more regularly as I continue my efforts to learn more about these dogs and eventually add a few to my family.

I would appreciate any and all information you would like to give and in addition, any further information regarding breeders, waiting lists and importation would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,
Molly Sumner

Comments

• Hi Molly,

If you go to and read nihonken.blogspot.com, I believe that there are some shikoku puppies available.

• edited February 2012
    Yeah, that blog has litters up every now and then. Keep an eye on it and you'll see some.
  • Yes, there are a bunch of Shikoku litters in Japan right now - something like 10 available pups. Contact @TheWalrus, he may be able to help you.

Importing Shikoku (from Japan) is the single most important thing we as a community can do for the breed. I HIGHLY recommend you import, even if it's just for a companion. Importing will help entice the Shikoku breeders in Japan to breed more, and that is what the breed desperately needs.

----
  • I wholeheartedly second what Brad said. If you have the resources to do so, import from Japan. Diversity of bloodlines is something we need to strengthen the foundation stock outside of Japan.

Holy crap, 10 puppies? I need to start buying lottery tickets...

Jesse
  • If importing will do the best for the breed then I will seriously consider it. I have never imported before and I am always nervous about purchasing a puppy without seeing it or the parents. Has anyone ever had issues with the puppies they have brought over?
  • @Nikkoth,
    Shigeru Kato (@TheWalrus) is the author of that blogspot, an active member on this forum, and excellent liason between us and the Shikoku breeders and hunters. He's worked with the breeders here as well since some of the breeders here have existing relationships with the breeders in Japan.

Unfortunately, Shigs has told us that many of the breeders in Japan don't do the things we would expect of breeders here (X-ray or screen for HD, Luxating Patella, etc.). It'd be nice if the group in the U.S.'s efforts to import and screen the dogs are recognized by the Japanese breeders and it imght raise the awareness of the overall health of the Shikoku they breed.

Jesse
  • Welcome to the forum! :D

And like the others have said, importing would be very beneficial right now for the breed both here, and in Japan
  • Welcome to the forum. I'll reply to your mail as soon as I can.
  • Welcome :)!
  • Welcome! Your reasons to be interested in shikoku are so similar with mine :) I am also competing obedience with my shiba. The difference is that I am right now only getting more information and experience of Shikoku, not getting one right now.
  • Welcome! I wish you the best and everyone is right, we do need to increase the diversity of shikoku in NA, as our population is limited. Ten puppies available in JPN right now is a huge number.

That being said, you probably want to meet one first if you can. I know that you emailed me about meeting mine and you are more than welcome to come by.

Both of mine love obedience training and will do anything to work for a treat! I love training mine and I receive so many positive responses to mine at my local Dog Training Club. My guys are excellent ambassadors of the breed and experienced dog trainers comment on them frequently. Though I have to say that away from home they are much (better) about meeting new people and being calmer when introduced to new people, when people come visit they do get more excited about the visitor. Plus they also focus better away to "ignore" other people and dogs vs at home. But all in all, they are good dogs and easy to train.
  • I've only met one shikoku and she was beautiful I met her two times actually. hehe

I think I'd love to own a shikoku one day and if I do wouldn't mind importing one if it'd help the breed out. Coarse that will be long ways once I get my home in country side with lots land I love being at my parent's 16acres nice amount space to hike in, but I want my own place neighbors too close.

I agree meeting shikoku is great thing to do luckily you got some near you to meet. :) Owner I met is about 4hours from my place maybe bit more.
  • You all are fantastic. I have never met such an nice informative group of people working the dog community. Being that the Shikoku is such a rare and special breed I was nervous that my inquiry would be pushed aside. I am grateful for the warm welcome.

@Edgewood: I am very much looking forward to meeting yours. While I am pretty set on going in this direction, I am sure meeting yours will seal the deal. There is an email in your inbox regarding scheduling of said visit.

@ TheWalrus: Thank you for your time and information. I have responded to your email as well and look forward to talking about logistics and such.

@JaanaS: Good luck on your journey towards this breed.

To everyone else. I deeply understand the urgency of importing and plan to go in that direction. I have received wonderful messages from people who would like to support me in this endeavor and I plan to investigate every option to find what will work best for me. If one of these 10 puppies is not feasible right now, hopefully there will be a puppy this year flying to the States with my name on it.

I am still primarily going in the direction of a dog for obedience. I will keep the dog intact and will also do may part to add him/her to the gene pool. Since they are not AKC, I can still compete in UKC, ASCA and CDSP. I would love to work with other kennels and breeders to discuss breeding logistics and other details since the majority of dogs are no where near my quaint little town of Frenchtown NJ. I have already received one message regarding this matter and I'm happy to hear from more people.

On the topic of AKC, I was curious why no one has proposed adding Shikoku to the FSS. The Kai and the Kishu are already on the list and while I know there is trepidation regarding the AKC with some people, it would bring more attention to the breed. Especially in the sports community where they can compete. I personally have had good experiences with the AKC and have found through the years, probably through pressures from the public, have become more responsible and easy to work with.

Thank you again for all your information and support and keep your comments coming. It really helps me develop the direction I want to head in.

-Molly
  • Welcome.

I suspect Shikoku and FSS status has to do with how the breed was established here in North America. The first (breeding) Shikoku were imported by Katja Weber from the Netherlands to Canada. Katja worked very hard to get the breed recognized by the Canadian Kennel Club. I believe Peggy in Ohio imported some Shikoku a few years later, and I think I heard she's produced somewhere around 30 dogs. There are a few more upcoming Shikoku breeders, mostly here on this forum, but I believe the focus has been put on establishing the breed and getting a good parent club going. The Kai and Kishu have been bred in the US for longer than the Shikoku, and have more established breeders. This is just my understanding of it. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
  • I have seen apprehension with registering the Shikoku with the AKC, mainly with the thought that the AKC tends to ruin a breed once accepted. Personally, once the breed club becomes established enough, I would love to see the breed be kept under FSS status as not only a place holder for the breed (to keep another club from registering and ruining the breed) but also to allow for members of the breed to compete in AKC sanctioned sports without having to be spayed/neutered and place under mixed breed registration.
  • I think @Calia covered it nicely. "Attention" isn't exactly what the breed needs right now. It needs dedication. As an outside observer/contributor to the Shikoku community, I believe a discussion of any relationship with the AKC needs to come after the community becomes a bit more cohesive. It's partly a numbers game (there just aren't that many), and partly an organizational game. And, of course, as with any dog breed (or any organization for anything) there are politics involved.

One big argument against AKC recognition for the Shikoku at this point has to do with ceding control over the standard. Consider the Kai Ken for example. In Japan, there are three breed registries, each with slightly different standards: JKC, NIPPO, and the KKA. Both the JKC and NIPPO operate similarly to the AKC, with a fixed standard that is difficult to tweak and change, and does nothing to describe the working temperament of the dogs. The KKA, on the other hand, is an organization that is much more fluid. They have two big shows every year (regionally) and the judges all discuss the results. Based on those results, new directions for the breed are put forth on a regular basis. Anecdotally that seems to happen every five or so years. For example, less than 10 years ago it was determined that the KKA Kai Ken population had grown a bit larger than it had historically been. Subsequently, the judges got together and begin rewarding smaller dogs to bring size back in line with historical characteristics (after all, the KKA is a preservation society). There are many stories like that one.

Of all the Nihon Ken, the Shikoku seems to be the breed most in need of a KKA-like organization. As an outsider, that's what I'm hoping to see happen in the states.
  • Other members have covered the "political" aspects of the breed nicely.

I just wanted to say welcome, & good luck with your endeavors! :) ~
  • All concerns are understandable and I know there is a lot to navigate. I am just happy to hear that it is a possible future prospect. In the mean time I have 3 other obedience registries (ASCA, UKC CPDT) to compete in and that is plenty for me.