Nipping on the butt

edited February 2012 in Behavior & Training
So for the past two days, Bea has been exhibiting this behavior: in the morning, I always take the dogs on a walk. Bea, who hates to be crated (and I trust her not to be crated) so is therefore not crated. Kaiju and Kilbe are crated. In the morning, I come and pet and leash her first, because she is out, but the other two start barking and whining, but I tell them sheeh (sound) and quiet because this is at 630 am and everyone else is still sleeping. Then, I let Kilbe out and when she comes out, Bea starts nipping her butt (not hard, like she wants to fight, but more like correction for whining? I don't know for sure, I am hypothesizing here) BUT, Kilbe growls and confronts her (teeth baring) and that sets Bea off. I was able to get Bea away from Kilbe really fast and Kilbe runs right back into her crate. The next morning, once again, kaiju barks, but I take Kaiju out first this time, and when he comes out, Bea starts nipping at his butt and being an @##, Kaiju just ignores her, but I tell her to stop anyway. Since Kaiju does ignore her, she pretty much stops. She did not exhibit this behavior with kilbe this time (kilbe did not whine as much on day 2, she quieted right when i said sheeh) This behavior has not happened before these past two days, and as I am trying to assimilate Kilbe (sorry, she is an almost 5 month old western siberian Laika) into the household, I don't wont her to freak out with Bea too. Also to backtrack, she does not get along with Kaiju all that much. She is afraid? of him humping her so she growls when he gets too close. They are seperated but could see eachother and are only together during walks or when i could supercise them closely. I am in the process of making a big dog kennel/run for Kilbe so that she would feel more safe, but building one has been delayed as we had to build a cement trench and a wall (Kilbe found a weakness in the fencing). I have been working on positive associations with them, treating them when they are together. They walk well together except when kaiju focuses his attention on Kilbe, then she cows back. Other info that may relevant Kilbe is very food aggressive. She has gotten A LOT better with me i could reach in her bowl and hand feed her now but she goes ballistic if any other dog gets near her with food. They eat separately now. Kilbe is good with kids and other puppies, dogs playing wise (not food wise or toy wise) except kaiju and sometimes Bea. Anyhow, I am trying to understand WHY Bea is exhibiting this behavior and what I could do to "curb" it. Bea is going to be 8 in a few weeks, she has been a kennel dog all her life, pretty much used as breeding. She has had many litters.

Comments

• Hmm... Interesting. The only insight that I can offer to this is what happened when my foster last year (his name was Bailey) kept screaming in his crate. Nola got so annoyed that she (and she was usually VERY happy-go-lucky and easy going before she got sick, and this incident was before she got sick) went up to his crate and 'fussed' at him. And by fussed, I means growled, showed her teeth, and smacked his crate.

It was actually ridiculously comical if you know Nola.

So, it could be that she is annoyed with the whining/barking and is trying to correct their behaviour. Have you thought about taking her out first, then coming back for the new comers?
  • @sunyata--three dogs are a bit much to handle all at once in the morning because they are super hyper to get out so my daughter does come running with us (for about 1.2 miles), she takes Bea and I hold the other two (then, I send the kid and husband off to school and work, respectively, then I take them out two dogs at a time for a longer run). In the evening, they get hour walk/runs. On the weekends, we go hiking. I take them out at the same time because if I take out Bea first, Kaiju and Kilbe go beserk and boy, do they bark/cry REALLY LOUD! Anyhow, I could have Nora take Bea out first and wait for me. I will try that tomorrow. thanks!
  • Conker does that, the butt bite thing. He does it to every dog he can. At the dog park, when other dogs are playing, he'll run in and get in a butt bite then run off...
    At home he does it if the Girls are in his way and their tails whack him in the face. Or if they are just standing there doing nothing. I have no ides why he does it most of the time.
    I try to tell him to quit but so far nothing has worked. He just keeps doing it.