The start of a hunting dog

edited February 2012 in Hunting & Working
I was just wondering, for those who have hunting dogs, how do you get started with your pups, training wise? Do you work on recall/off leash-ness first? Or do you work on them fetching, getting things that resemble animals? In addition, how do you teaching them how to bay or catch without another hunting dog as an example?

Comments

• Personally I think whether or not a dog will hunt is an instinctual thing, either they have it, or they don't. Most of the training I do with my pups involves giving them opportunities to turn on that hunting switch, and of course, to become a dog that I can hunt comfortably with.

I'll let them play with pelts of the animals I hunt from a young age, mostly so that they are used to the smell. Wild animals have a very pungent odor, and it can put some dogs off at first. From day one I'll also work on off leash training with them, as a hunting dog can give you loads of grief and heart attacks if they're not at least semi controllable off leash. I also take them on short walks through the mountains so that they can get used to the terrain, learning how to maneuver, and pay attention to where I am.

As the pups get older and more confident, I'll introduce them to dead or live caged (small) prey to see their reaction, and to encourage them to be curious about it.
  • Thanks for the tips. :)

I agree working with being good off leash is very important don't want a hunting dog that runs away and never comes back at all..

I look forward to seeing more tips on this subject.

• I don't hunt per se - at least not like Shigeru or Gen. But I have "hunted" groundhogs with my 2 shikoku. I didn't have to teach anything to them, when they saw the groundhog, their instinct kicked in immediately. I would say that my male has a stronger hunting drive, but has had more opportunities to hunt too. Each opportunity has made his drive stronger.

Also, at least with my dogs, the seemed to know what to do right away - how to grab the groundhog, etc. Or they learned very quickly after only 1 or 2 bites from the ground hog. They also got more determined and mad when the ground hog bit them and instead of backing down, would go in harder (unlike a friend of mine's Rottweiler who gave up after being bitten by a groundhog).

My male especially is neat to watch, because if he cannot get a good position to bite and pick up the ground hog, he immediately switches to very loud high pitched barking at the ground hog within about 5 inches of it. Very determined barking. If you can distract the groundhog, he will go in and grab it. So he switches between detaining and catching depending on the ground hog.

Now that is not a boar or anything, but I have seen some pretty tough groundhogs that fight back pretty hard and bite.
  • "the seemed to know what to do right away" Saya has caught a young rabbit and she went right for the neck. killed it pretty quick no time for it to scream thankfully. Rabbit screaming scares me. hehe

I agree groundhogs can be pretty mean when cornered.

Do you do this on purpose or your on hikes and they find the groundhogs?
  • Pretty much what Shigeru said, it all comes down to the pup or the dog. The way I start my dogs is simillar as I always start with boar hides to get the pup used to the smell. I will cut boar hides into small 12 inch by 6 inch strips for the pup to chew on. If I have a fresh kill, I will allow the pup to check it out. I did things as best as I could with Taro.

Once he was about 9months I purchased piglets for him to bay and catch. I did this for about 15 minutes max every other day or about 3 times a week so that he didnt get bored. Unfortunately where I live, I'm pretty much the only hog dogger around and not much people doing it these days north of me so every thing was trial and error deal. I think if Riki was younger, he would have pulled Taro along much faster but Taro has grown into a great pig dog.

Its all about giving a dog that has the drive as much face time with a hog as you can. In general it will take a few years for a hog dog to become a "finished" dog but I have noticed more that the Kishu ken will hunt harder as they mature some where between age 2 to 4. But it all depends on the dog.

On a side note, I had a great day today with the new Yushoku Kishu pup Nami (aka reiko but will probably have a different name soon). Hana the lab found a live partridge and I used the live bird to see what Nami would do. Well I was blown away, she gave chase right away, bayed it up, barked at it for a little, and then jumped on it and held it. She decided it was her trophy and did not want to give to anyone. Koyuki took Nami in as if she is one of her pups and finally the pack has come together in harmoney.

• Can I get a strip of that boar hide? :-)
  • Interesting information. Going to follow up on this.
  • edited February 2012
    Glad to hear Nami is fitting in. :)

Is there somewhere online I can buy boar hides with smell still on it? I think Saya would have lots fun chasing it as a flirt toy.

She has a squirrel pelt that I have her chase and she will bring it to me too.
  • Not sure if there any on line but I can cut a few strips for you if you want some. Send me you address on FB or PM.
  • Hmm I wonder, can using pelt/skins be means of testing a dog's drive? Was thinking that maybe it could be a "humane" alternative to actual hunts or live animals for breed testing.
  • @shishiinu - Me too, me too!
  • edited February 2012
    @Saya - when we walk on our farm, the dogs check out all the groundhog holes along the way. Sometimes the groundhogs are out of the hole and away from the hole, so we let the dogs run them down. Other times the dog has pulled one out of the hole. Closer the the barn, when they have been in my flower beds, we live trap them (so as not to catch a barn cat).

Being on a farm, my husband dislikes groundhogs because they make holes in his fields and can break a tractor axel and I dislike them because they make holes in my horse pastures and break a horses leg.

And they are rodents and produce a lot of babies!
  • So so far it's Brad and Theresa who wants some hog skin strips. I will cut some tonight for you guys.
  • @Calia a dog's interest in a pelt will not necessarily equal hunting drive. With a piece of the pelt, the only stimulus the dog is getting is a bit of scent, and a bit of texture. It is however a useful training tool/toy.
  • Exactly the true test of a dogs hunting ability will be its first few times up against the game it's going to chase. I wish I can figure out how to load a video of taro's first time up against hogs. Completely different reaction compared to how he acts towards hogs now.
  • edited February 2012
    I'll take a strip too.

Thanks a lot I doubt Saya would be a match with a boar coarse I don't think there any in Indiana is any not in my area I only seen deer, fox, coyotes, and badgers..

Most places local only has raccoon, fox, coyote, skunk and squirrel pelts.

@shishiinu I sent you a email.
  • Bumping up. :D
  • I got the strips, I just need to get some time to send them out. I been working like crazy so I'm a little lazy right now.
  • No hurry just bumping up to see if anyone else has suggestions.

Here's picture of Saya with her favorite toy the squirrel she will even bring it to me when I tell her to she loves it.
    Photobucket