I'm a little stumped.

edited February 2012 in Behavior & Training
So as some of you guys know, reiko the yushoku kishu ken has joined my kishu hunting pack. Only problem is that for being a little pup, she is extremely dog reactive and so is Koyuki. Taro isn't that bad but reiko is not that warming and she hates other pups.

What I was thinking of doing is to put muzzles on koyuki and reiko (when she's a little older) and let th duke it out until they get along. I hate to see reiko wasted and not be able to be hunted due to her cranky temper but I'm kind of stumped since I never had this issue.

I think koyuki is a bit cranky from recently giving birth to pups and is still some what protective.

Any thoughts or advice?

Comments

• I thought Koyuki's pups were all sent out? So it's only Taro, Koyuki, and Reiko? I wouldn't expect Koyuki to hang onto any protectiveness when her pups are all gone.

Was Koyuki a pretty good disciplinarian with her own pups when they got out of line?

• We have one pup left that is leaving on Wednesday. She was a really good disciplinarian and always put the pups in their place when they started getting out of line.
  • I'd take a shot at systematic desensitization first before anything, you could also try feeding them together as well, at the first sign of aggression from either one take both bowls away.
  • edited February 2012
    I would wait a few weeks after her pups are gone. We've noticed our females are the most hormonal crazy as their milk dries up (which is typically after the pups are gone). You should see a noticeable change in Yuki's behavior around the house once her milk has dried up.

Until that time, I wouldn't bother trying to introduce her to Reiko (Nami?) as that will just be setting them up for failure.

Meantime, I'd work her with Taro. Let her get used to him. Worst case you'll only be able to hunt one female with Taro at a time.

----
  • Thanks guys! Koyuki's still lactating a little so that maybe why she's such a beating. Taro is really good with pups so not too worried about him.

I thin in a few weeks, I will start taking them to neutral grounds and see how they do. Before koyuki had her pups, we used to take her to the dog beach so I'm hoping she will mellow out a little soon.
  • LoL, women and their hormones, gotta love it!

Personally, I would avoid letting them duke it out, Lisa's (shibamistress) shibas come to mind when I think of it.
  • I saw a video of two brother Kai lens that were reunited. They ended up being pretty aggressive toward each other so the kais were muzzled and then released in a yard. About 15 minutes of growling and pushing each other, they ended up figuring out each other and became buddies.

I'm sure that's not going to work out on every dog but it was really interesting how they squabbled a little and became friends. It's still really early so I'm sure things will work out down the road.
  • If you follow the "let them figure it out" older style thinking, be aware that there's the "females fight for keeps" and "females hold grudges" as part of that thinking.

I've seen females holding grudges kill the other's pups.
  • @Calia, yeah. I thought of mine too. Letting them duke it out can end up with a dead or seriously injured dog, and they do hold grudges and do remember, so I wouldn't do that (I mean, I know you were talking about muzzles, but still the arousal levels will be the same, and I think that could end up with dogs that can never be trusted together).

Wait awhile, and try introducing them gradually, with lots of positive reinforcement for positive interactions and see what happens when Koyuki's hormone levels are down again. I'd want to be super cautious to encourage good future relations!
  • Ooh Mei is one of those females! Once she doesn't like another dog, or another dog has been rude to her or done her wrong, it's on! She still hates my friend's Shiba for trying to take a treat from her two years ago. She wants to kick her ass.

Have you taken Reiko out of the home and around other dogs? How does she do in those situations? I would work with her outside of the home.
  • I would never let them fight like that. Lol
    We wanted to wait till she gets her immune system up before I take her out too much. Day after picking her up, the vet check showed that she has giardia so I'm going to wait till she's a 110%.

Thanks for all your input guys!

• Oh crap giardia sucks, and it means putting a stop to socialization. She should be quarantined anyway. You'll have to pick things up when she gets the clean bill of health.
  • Ife had problems to get along with Nuuk about two or three weeks in the beginning. She really hated Nuuk but after she noticed that Nuuk isn't taking her place or try to be "the BOSS" she bit by bit started to tolerate him more. And after a month they were best buddies and still are.
  • That's a tough one. Personally, I might try a hybrid approach. Outside, I think I would consider muzzling them and letting them go at it. Inside, I would just absolutely not tolerate any aggression.
    Originally, our two girls would fight all the time. In their case, it was not an issue of aggression; they were both clowning around and having a blast. They reminded me of me and my brother growing up--always wrestling or picking on each other. What we did was let them go crazy outside. They could be completely wild and play hard. Inside the house was different--I don't like the idea of the dogs being insane in the house, so they seemed to understand that pretty quick.
  • Great news! I took the dogs out today for a little walk out in the hills. I was super nervous about it but I decided to bring the matriarch of my pack, black lab Hana along to break the tension. Well after a few sniffs and a little growle from Yuki, Nami the Yushoku Kishu ken and Koyuki binded really well. Yuki took Nami in as if she's one of her pups and saw that she is just another puppy. Now they are inseparable and Yuki played with her all day. Taro sniffed her a little and was happy as he can be that another pup was with the pack. Hana the lab allowed Nami to follow her through the brush in search for birds and every thing just went perfectly well. In a few weeks, Nami chan will start follwoing us on hunts and I will take bunch of pics to post.
  • edited February 2012
    That's great! It's good to hear they get along now. I can't wait to see how little Nami develops into a hunter.
  • That's really awesome news!
  • It's great when everything works out as you hoped it would :), happy hunting!
  • Good to hear hope things go well on the hunts.