Marking

Hello all,

Sushi started marking like 2 months ago, he is not neutered, what worries me (or contents me) is that he seems not interest in doing it inside the house. When I first got him I prepared my mind knowing that he was/will going to do it since I didnt want him neutered. Outside he goes crazy when it comes to marking, he will even mark a little dry leaf in the middle of the road, and he has been around females in heat.

What do you guys think?

Comments

• It sounds like you are worried that he is not marking in the house?
  • ^ nope im not worried, im actually happy that he is not doing it, the thing is i dont know if this will change or he will just not mark inside the house. Most dogs I had were females, this is the first male I have, and he is intact; I always heard of people saying how much trouble intact males are when they learn the marking thing
  • Fate [ shikoku ] started marking a few months back, but not lifting his leg to do it. Anyway, he never marked in the house. I think as long as they're potty trained, it shouldn't be a problem. ~
  • edited January 2012
    If he is well potty trained he shouldn't. I take it he is an only male dog in the house? My male has never marked or pooped in the house or anyone's house for that matter. (Heck I could not even get him to go at the designated spots at a show if it was smelly.)

However, I have heard if there are multiple males in a household or new dog brought in it can cause a marking war. For new dogs entering, until integration is complete, you have to watch them like a hawk, even if they are neutered.

Snf
  • My first male was intact for the first 2 years of his life, he is now almost 5 and we never had issues with marking inside. I'd agree with snf on this one, you shouldn't worry.
    PS: akita females mark too :-) Hinu does it with one leg up in the air.
  • Argos started marking quite early, and recently, three months after starting to mark, he got it in his head that he wanted to mark one of my support beams in the house. Brad saw him sniff, begin to lift a leg, made a noise to interrupt him and he hasn't tried it since. My point being that Arg is very well house trained (hasn't had an accident since 10 weeks, and even then it was only four times when we overestimated his ability to "hold it") and didn't show any interest in marking in the house until three months after starting. So, at least in Arg's case, it seems possible for there to be quite a delay between when they start marking and when (if) they try to mark in the house. What I'm trying to say is, I'd still keep a close eye on him, and interrupt him if it does happened (Arg, like I said, has never tried it again), or else you might be lulled into a false sense of security!

Or, of course, he may never try. I'd just keep one eye open. :)