Kibou nose is developing depigmentation (Pink Spots)

edited January 2012 in Kai Ken (甲斐犬)
Hi everyone, I havent been on here for a long time. I have a male Kai named Kibou that I aquired from Brad. He is just about 2 yrs old. His nose and his lip just below his nose has developed loss of pigmenration in the last couple of days. This looks likes pink spots, about the size of a pencil eraser each. There are 3 spots. They are smooth, not blister like. Has anyone had any experience with this? Thanks, Dave

Comments

• Would it be possible to get a picture of this?

I wonder if it is the beginnings of what's called a snow nose?

Are his food and water bowls made out of plastic or metal/ceramic?
  • I'm at work, but I will post pictures tonight. These spots are very pink. His food bowl is thick ceramic which I have had for for more than 20 years. His water pail is stainless steel. He did chew up a clear plastic container a few days ago from the grocery store deli that had soup in it.
  • edited January 2012
    Mei has these on her lip/gum. She got them at 2 years old. I just had her teeth cleaned last week, and the vet has never said something about them. When you send pics, I can tell you if it looks like the same thing.
  • Kuma has a pink strip that runs down the center of his nose. It is the result of him using his nose so much when he hunts. It is also very common in malamutes. That is what it sounds like, but without pics it is hard to tell.
  • Wraith got something similar when he was about 6-7 months old. [ not a kai ] It came on very suddenly, stayed like that for 2-3 weeks, then vanished! It was smooth & flat, as you said, the size of a pencil eraser, & a light pinkish colour.

I think he got bit on the nose by one of the birds. [ super nosey puppy ]

I wouldn't worry too much about it. It might go just as quickly as it came. ~
  • edited January 2012
    Here's a pic of Mei's pink spot. Sorry she wasn't too thrilled with me trying to snap this with my iphone so it's not the best. I'm not sure if this is the same thing. Let me know.

She just had her teethers cleaned. They look great! lol

• Juneau and Sasha both have those types of spots (they aren't Kai, but I don't think it's breed specific) and they got them from injuries and such.
    It might be snow nose if it's not an injury or caused by a food dish.
    http://vetmedicine.about.com/od/diseasesconditionsfaqs/f/snow_nose.htm
  • @davecampa - It's probably not this, but Ramm started with something similar and it turned out to be Pemphigus, which covered his whole nose. However, he would go through a cycle in which a crust resembling Corn Flakes would form, fall off, reveal bloody/raw tissue, and regenerate.

What is that yellow/red spot on the bottom left of it?
  • aykayk
    edited January 2012
    It's not in the usual place for discoid lupus. Discoid lupus is triggered by the sun and so it usually starts on top of the nose and then extends to the skin above the nose.

Here are some examples of the earlier stages:

I've only seen my friend's akita with pemphigus (snout, eye areas) and hers is also triggered by sun exposure.

I vote for injury unless it worsens. The skin will fill in with pigment later on.
  • edited January 2012
    Looks like an injury to me, but it wouldn't hurt to give some Vitamin B and C supplements.
  • Two of my dogs have papilloma virus occasionally- could be that. They get a small pink spot, always round, never raised. It can appear on the nose, lips or in their nether regions- Sage had one just on the 'door' to his sheathed penis- they are harmless and will go away on their own after a few weeks. a little (1/4 tsp ish) Vitamin C in the food helps them go away quicker. My vet said that Papilloma virus is obtained from the mother as they suckle and spend prolonged time in oral contact with her (I guess meaning she carries it first). If your vet says it's a papilloma, vitamin C is an easy helper!
  • Kibou looks pretty handsome even with his funny nose color. :o)
  • Koda got the papilloma virus from puppy play school. But it was more like warts for him.
  • Have you changed food or have your dog eat something what he doesnt eat normally? Allergic reaction can make dogs loose their pigment for some time. Or he can have scratched it, my akita female have now three pink scratches in her nose because she was stupid enough to put her nose in frozen chicken net -.- And because she is akita everyone is now "omg she might have VKH because she have lost pigment from the nose!!" yeah, those comes in symmetrical lines and in ten min when that silly dog have been running like gasell outside. One what might also make pigment changes is vitiligo btw (and yeah, VKH make vitiligo but I dont think kais have our problem)

But anyways, dont get worried yet. Pigment changes are quite normal and with most cases those go away in couple weeks. If he doesnt get his pigment back after couple weeks, it starts to spread or there comes wounds etc then go see doctor.
  • Thanks everyone for your comments! I'll wait for a couple of weeks and see what happens. Meanwhile I'll give him some vitamin C. My picture must of showed up, but I can't see it here...I'm a little confused on picture posting.