Interesting Read: "In the Eyes of a Dog"

Comments

• This kind of stuff is pretty interesting.
  • very interesting, but I do not understand why they didn't isolate voice tone from eye contact.
  • That's interesting. @jfunk-- I think it's because they wanted to see if there was a "broad" response first then get into the specifics.
  • That is pretty cool. I keep trying to explain to my husband that dogs are engaged by the high voice thing--he didn't seem to believe me, so I'll have to send him this link.

I find the pointing thing so interesting. I often point to get the dogs' attention, and with Toby, often I don't even make the whole gesture: if I look at him when he's outside, then either point to, or look at the door to his room, he'll usually run to the door right away.
  • You are correct about the high pitch talking shibamistress, they mimic the incitement tone which dogs use for, among other things, to solicit play.
  • I don't buy the whole "act like a dog so dogs understand you" thought process. Dogs know we are human and not dogs.

Also, we have a lot of dogs here, who all free-play regularly, and I cannot think of a single time I've EVER heard them make high-pitched sounds at each other to initiate a play session...

Are there any scientific papers or studies anyone can point me to that would indicate dogs use high-pitched sounds to solicit play?

----
  • You are correct about the high pitch talking shibamistress, they mimic the incitement tone which dogs use for,

Huh? I agree that a high toned voice can get a dog's attention. When I use that voice, my dogs think I'm happy and come up to me. But I've never heard my dog's use a high pitch tone unless you count the time when Koda was hit by a car and he was screaming. But I don't think he was happy.
  • edited January 2012
    Yeah, I agree with you, Brad (and Tara, who posted as I was) on the act like a dog thing. I've never actually seen an explanation for why dogs are interested in high pitch sounds, except that some people say dogs like squeaky toys because it mimics the sound of prey. That may or may not be true either, of course, though it seems plausible (I do remember how surprised Oskar was when his fun new squeaky toys turned out to actually be alive....and then not alive...when he caught the rabbits, so I have to think if anything he was working the other way....this is like my toy! *lol* rather than my toy is like prey).

My dogs only make high pitched sounds in pain or sometimes the dreaded Shiba scream (from, say, a bath) which is of course not at all a happy sound.

Anyway, it's an interesting question to me: why are dogs interested in higher pitch sounds? It could be as simple as novelty--perhaps they don't hear them quite as often? Is it just excitement? I also find it interesting to actually question what might be behind these kind of assumptions.
  • edited January 2012
    I don't know of any studies or papers, though I think Stanley Coren may touch in it in "How Dog's Think" but I could be wrong it may have been a different book of his or even someone else's. I don't look at it as trying to make the dog think we are a dog, until we are able to carry on a conversation with a dog we will never know how they perceive us, but a matter of communicating with them on a level they are pre-wired to understand. Dogs share a universal language, put Japanese Akita in a in a room with a Irish Setter and they will immediately begin to through body posture, movement, sound, scent, and energy, why not access everything you are can to make communication with you dog easier? As far as the fact that you have never heard it before, not all breeds use each method of communication on a regular basis, and even individual dogs of the same breed will use it more or less than others of the same breed, or maybe you weren't actively looking for it and just missed it. I myself can tell you I have heard it in most play I observe, often a high pitch whining sound, or high pitch bark. When reading signals we must remember that no single signal in itself it necessarily a indicator of anything, so a high pitched sound may be a incitement to play, as other mentioned, can be a indicator of pain, or even some other things, you have to take in all the forms of communication that a dog is projecting to put together a complete picture.
  • edited January 2012
    Also, given the range of a dog's hearing, we probably shouldn't assume that just because we people don't hear it doesn't mean that the sound wasn't made. I've no notion about whether dogs do or do not use high pitched sounds to initiate play, but I thought that was worth pointing out.

Another theory about high-pitched voices: could it be that they simply hear it better? Exactly what is the range of a dog's hearing?
  • I don't think I agree that dogs all share a universal language--or perhaps I'm just adding some caveats to that, ones that @jfunk did bring up too: such as not all breeds use all methods of communication regularly (though I would say some breeds may not use certain methods at all). Consider tail position: in general it may be part of a universal dog "language" but some dogs don't have tails. Others, as many NKs have coiled tails, sometimes so coiled that tail position doesn't really vary that much (one of my Shibas never drops his tail, for example, and it never ever uncurls, even when he is sleeping). The brachycephalic breeds have may make different face gestures, which is why some other dog breeds find them difficult to read (I'm guessing this is what happens when dogs of other breeds sometimes take an immediate dislike to these breeds).

And of course, individual dogs use different communication styles, too. So for me, I'm not entirely convinced about the universal language among dogs...

As for the high pitched sounds, it could be that they hear them better....Interesting.

My dogs never use high pitch sounds either in play, as I said, and in fact, their play growls are distinctive from real growls in that they tend to pitch them a bit lower, rather than higher, or at least I've noticed that.
  • You are correct Shibamistress, not all dogs have the facilities to use all forms of dog communication, just as you said dogs like many Nk's have coiled tails, or how about basenji's that cant bark. But the interesting thing is that even if these dogs cant send these signals that still know how to read them. As far as the high pitch sound is concerns I am not referring to the sounds they make while mock fighting, but the sounds that are made to invite that play, or when they wish to entice attention in other situations.
  • I think it's rather obvious that dogs can communicate with each other. No surprises there.

However, I disagree that us acting like dogs helps them understand us better. The idea of "communicating with them on a level they are pre-wired to understand" takes certain assumptions - certain logical leaps - that I just cannot overlook. The truth is, we don't understand dogs, and we don't know 100% what they mean with every behavior. We can only assume to know, and that (an assumption) seems like a dangerous thing to base a relationship on.

To me, it seems much more logical (and unassuming) to simply train a dog like you are a human training a dog. Instead of being a human who is mimicking a dog to communicate human-intent to a dog.

Honestly, it seems rather backwards to me. Dogs have evolved to read humans incredibly well, like way better than we can read them (or even each other). So why waste time trying to act like a dog when dogs read us better than we read them?

On the high-pitched voice thing, it makes a lot more sense to me that making your voice high-pitched and excited-sounding coaxes excitement from the dog, as it does a child. That excitement then helps to keep their attention. No need to create over-blown assumptions based on dog-dog communication or dog's hearing capabilities.

That's just my opinion.

----
  • @brada1878 As you said our ideas on training are simply theory, unless someday we are able to set down with a dog and carry on a conversation with them about our ideas we will truly never know whether or not they correct. These ideas are hardly my own, but are based on the teaching, training, and publications of many trainers, and behaviorist, then reinforced with my own observations. As after as your view being more unassuming, I think that is a matter of what your opinion on the matter is. The way I see it, it is a much farther leap to think that a animal with the cognitive level of a dog different communication systems for different situations (here I am talking about instinctual interactions, not ones built through conditioning). As far as the waste of time, I can't see that it takes any more time to speak in high tone than it does to speak in a lower tone. And here a a few studies and articles showing that dogs here at a different Hz range than humans (Wegler, Monika. Dogs: How to Take Care of Them and Understand Them. New York: Barrons Educational Series, 1996), (Strain, George M. Hearing frequency ranges for dogs & other species? Lousiana State University. 3 June 2003.), (Budiansky, Stephen. The Truth about Dogs. New York: Penguin Group, 2000).
  • edited January 2012
    Thanks for the references....Interesting topic .....

Throwing my more than 2 cents worth in on parts of this ...its a bit off the topic ....

About sounds and play style. Patricia McConnell discusses this in one of her video series "Dog Play". She indicates that study on play styles among different breeds is a topic that is in need of more research. However, at this point based on some observations it does appear that differing breeds can have different play styles and somewhat different vocalizations that may not necessarily be the same or maybe not indicate the same thing. She suggests not all dogs will understand how to read the other of another breed automatically without some social exposure.

As a human example, think of waving in the American culture, we wave to say goodbye or to hail a cab. We all have the same capabilities, however, in other cultures within the human subgroup it can mean something entirely different. Same goes with a thumbs up gesture. Although this topic brushes on signs and symbols, there may be hints that some signs or possibly at very miniscule level, certain types signals may be learned but not inherent in canines. However, at this point we can not say for sure without study and further details.

Additionally, what many have observed among dogs is (as with many mammals) until context is understood there can be confusion. Even among canines and their supposed generalized communication system, it is not necessarily the same across the board as a grouped whole.

Lots of food for thought. If anyone gets the opportunity to hear or attend Dr. McConnell's seminars they are well worth it.

Snf

PS: As for my own dogs, high pitch does not indicate play, usually the queue for play is a combination of sound (generally deep yip or growl) combined with motion or gesture (think butt bump or play bow with some snapping). Higher pitches are used to indicate frustration or pain. Since my dogs are not barkers or high complainers it seems the significance of their communication group is more than likely a bit more subtle and assertive, and held within the scale of the lower tones. I also have to mention that some of my dogs are also clueless when it comes to the lower tones of other dogs given as a menacing warning. Often tending to be disregard, probably having habituated to the growl play style of their main play group. Only with experience have my own dogs gained a better sense of wisdom with the sounds and actions of other dogs of other breeds. On the opposing extreme we have neighbors who have a screaming banshee mixed terrier (think rabbit squeal) when excited on a walk. It sends my dogs into overdrive to correct or make contact with the seemingly crazy dog. In my interpretation my dogs see it as crying wolf, false screaming seems to push my dogs normal concern for injury of another dog into the "bitch slap" mode once they realize there isn't a problem. No amount of exposure has gotten them over this high note dog. It does seem there are multiple factors going on that are obviously beyond the issue of sound, but I'll never know probably unless my dogs learn to talk. : )
  • @jfunk - For the record, I never wrote that anything was a waste of time. I also never disagreed with your thoughts on dog's hearing - I think it's pretty well known at this point that dogs can hear a much large range of sounds than humans - hints the invention of the silent dog whistle.

In regards to these statements...

"These ideas are hardly my own, but are based on the teaching, training, and publications of many trainers, and behaviorist, then reinforced with my own observations."

>> I would (honestly) be very interested in reading something written by a certified (AVSAB) behaviorists stating that the best way to communicate with a dog is to mimic them.

--

"As after as your view being more unassuming, I think that is a matter of what your opinion on the matter is. The way I see it, it is a much farther leap to think that a animal with the cognitive level of a dog different communication systems for different situations (here I am talking about instinctual interactions, not ones built through conditioning)." [sic]

>> Sure, it's a matter of opinion. Tho, does this article not address this very thing? The dogs in the article, once engaged, instinctively "read" the human's gesture. The dogs didn't need the human to mimic a dog to understand where to look, the dogs knew where to look because he/she had a natural understanding of what the human was communicating (via a TV screen in this case).

So, doesn't that show that dogs DO have the natural ability to understand humans?

I'll add, the real point of this study was to show how dogs interacted with a person on a TV. There are plenty of other studies that show how dogs have an instinctual ability to understand humans in person too. Here is an example..

http://news.discovery.com/videos/news-dogs-read-gestures-like-toddlers.html

----
  • @StatiNFuzz - my vet had a border terrier that had that high pitched excited squeal. Scared me to death the first time he did it, after hopping into my lap. My vet indicated that he was just excited to see me.

On another note, I do agree that not all breeds of dogs communicate the same way during play.
  • edited January 2012
    I'm with Brad--I'm very dubious about the idea that we should mimic dogs in training them (that gets us into alpha and CM bs, I think, though even that is based on the very dubious idea that dogs actually have that kind of strict hierarchical ranking). As I believe Brad (or someone else) already said, dogs are smart. They KNOW we're not dogs, and they don't expect us to act like them. They can read our gestures and expressions quite well, as this study demonstrates, so well, in fact, that they know to look where we look.

Snf, thanks for mentioning the McConnell series. I remembered, vaguely, that someone had talked about this, but I couldn't remember where I'd come across that.

And super interesting about the high pitiched sounds of the terriers. My Akita is a pretty easy going guy, and gets along with other dogs well enough, but I've introduced him to my friend's young border terrier several times, and we finally decided it's probably best not to expect them to get along. The BT does make this high pitched scream/whine when he is excited (it is excruiating to hear) and Oskar just seems to go into prey mode, and since the terrier is running around like a crazy thing anyway, I see Oskar go into chase mode, and it all seems like a bad mix. It's clear Oskar has no idea what to do with this noisy little thing, and he doesn't seem entirely convinced that the terrier is another dog, so....yeah. We just don't try and let them play anymore.
  • edited January 2012
    Out of curiosity, does anyone have a dog that mimics them? This didn't occur to me until I was reading this thread but now I wonder if our dogs ever try to mimic our gestures in the attempt to communicate with us. It's just a throwaway thought, but my non-scientific impression has always been that part of the early socialization process is in fact about allowing the mother to teach her puppies how to communicate (and to teach inhibition in play amongst the litter). I'd be curious to know if dogs that are part of a multiple dog household communicate significantly differently than dogs that are not.

I also think that there is a lot of dog to dog miscommunication. Signals that I thought were universal ( lip curling for instance) are frequently not read by other dogs and my little one will keep escalating signals until the other dog or owner responds. I've realized that I tend to read my dogs better than other dogs read them. I believe it is because we live in the same household. It's of course an entirely non-scientific observation but I would be curious to see a study on the efficacy and efficiency of dog to dog and dog to human communication with groups broken up by household and socialization exposure to see how great an impact familiarity has on communication efficacy.

Ps - I also say this is one with a dog who does like to mimic and defaults to some interesting behavior because of it.
  • Interesting! My Akita is a huge mimic, and he watches what Bel does, and imitates it. I don't know if I've ever seen him try to mimic me, though. It's funny to see Oskar learn from watching another dog. he's a very watchful dog anyway--spends a lot of time just observing--and then he'll try things. i saw him do this this summer as he watched Bel catch moths outside. He watched, and watched, then tried it, but he's not nearly as quick as she is. He did finally catch one, and got the funniest look on his face --it must not have tasted good--and then after that he totally ignored her moth hunting, so I guess he decided that was an activity he wasn't interested in!

• edited January 2012
    @violet_in_seville - Good point! I agree, I see a lot of dog-dog miscommunication too. Which, at the risk of sounding preachy, is another great reason why we should *not* try to mimic our interpretation of dog-dog communication (or miscommunication). There are just too many points of failure in that concept, IMHO.

----
  • My first dog was an insane mimic. He would do anything you did, but I don't think it was necessarily to communicate. I'm unsure though, since it's been some 10 years since I had him.

Conker observes and sometimes imitates other dogs, rarely people. On a couple occasions I do catch him doing things I've never seen him try before, but I don't know if he learned it from watching me or just by trying something different.
  • My pit bull Ruby mimic us a lot. She actually hugs and gazes into your eyes. She smiles with her teeth when she is really excited. She will sit upright and if she wants you to look at her she will put a paw on your cheek and pull your face towards her.
    Actually my girlfriend was over the other day and after about an hour of interacting with Ruby she announced to me "THIS is not a dog. Someone gave you a toddler in a dog suit."
  • Jessica, that is so interesting! (And the toddler in a dog suit cracked me up!) Sounds like Ruby is particularly remarkable in her mimicry, but your comment also made me wonder--would dogs that were bred to be more biddable, to work very closely with people, be better mimics? I'm thinking of how many "pit bulls" (in quotation marks since breed can be varied there) are so willing to work, and so easy to train, and that made me think that perhaps they, and other biddable dogs, must really be watching us for cues (more than somewhat indifferent NKs for example!) and so perhaps they are even more able to mimic humans.

I don't know, but thinking about Ruby raised interesting questions in my mind! I also note that it is my more biddable Akita that is the greatest mimic (not that I've seen him mimic people), and Toby, the least biddable of my three, almost never mimics the behavior of other dogs even. In fact, it took years to teach him how to play. He just didn't seem to know how to do it or what the purpose is, and he never mimicked the behavior of the other dogs (even when they were together) to try to engage in play. Now, at 8, he does play with us, in his own odd way, but he certainly did not learn how to play games from watching the other dogs, as Oskar did as a young pup.