New Agility Champion - Koji got his MACH - Updated 6/17/2013

Here is a video of Koji's first herding lesson.

It was taken by another instructor at the facility who happened to walk by while we were in the ring. She stopped because she saw a Shiba and not the usual herding breed and took the video, so she could send it to her friend who has a Shiba to prove to her friend that a Shiba can be trained. :)

I obviously did not know what I was doing, but Koji seems to have a better idea than I do. I wish we could go back more often for herding lessons, but with Rally, Nosework and Agility, it is just very difficult to find time to keep doing herding.

Comments

• That is so cool!
  • Sweet! I like seeing Shibas actually doing something, like some sort of sport or whatever. It's pretty cool.
  • This was awesome! Really cool to see a shiba herding.

I'm really amazed right now lol ~
  • Good work Koji! Glad you have places to do this type of thing.
  • edited January 2012
    Here is a video of Shiba Inu Koji (22 months old) at a Rally Novice Fun Match yesterday, in preparation of his first real trial next weekend. Koji did really well in a new environment with a lot of distractions. I am very impressed with how well he does given he only learns the Rally exercise since Nov 2011.

• Excellent! I LOVE seeing dogs with such focus on the handler, it's awesome.

As for doing multi-sports. Start with one sport, finish it and then move on to the next. =]
  • edited January 2012
    Last weekend was the 3 day Western Washington Dog Show cluster in Puyallup, WA. My friend Lindsay and I, and four of our Shibas, Ike, Koji, Maluko and Farrah, entered into Rally all three days hoping to get all three legs in Novice and then some.

After what feels like a 3 day Herculean effort to convince 4 Shibas to work on/off lead with so many distractions, in horrible weather, Sandra and I proudly announce our Rally success, and introduce to you:

(Ike) San Jo Idol Eyes, RN, CGC
    (Koji) San Jo Kumi Rock n Roll Banjo Boy, RN, CGC
    (Maluko) San Jo Chaka Khan, RN, CGC
    (Farrah) San Jo Lillith Fair, RN

We are very proud parents, and their breeder is thrilled. Maluko further wowed all of us with 2 amazing off leash Advanced A runs, where she earned 1st place both days after earning her Novice A title. Koji also earned two 1st places and a 3rd place in Novice A, and Farrah earned a 3rd place in Novice B. The entries were fairly large in Novice, around 40 each day.

We also ran into a Midnight Sun Shiba named Kenai, performing an Excellent run as only a Shiba can. He is 2/3rds of the way to a VCD1 title, and is a great little worker, too.

Videos:

Farrah_Rally_Novice_3rd_Leg_2012.1.16

Ike_Rally_Novice_3rd_Leg_2012.1.16

Maluko Rally Advanced A 2nd leg 2012.1.16

Koji_Rally_Novice_2nd_Leg_2012.1.15

By the third day, many exhibitors including our judge Chris Cornell, remarked they had never seen so many Shibas in Rally before. He is a very nice guy, but he puts together a mean course. Even he admired how well they worked and how well trained they were, as he awarded them with top placements and scores in the 90's. He was also kind enough to pose for a professional photo of both of us and all four Shibas, coming to an E-News near you! We look forward to encountering more people working with their Shibas, because Shibas can be the best little workers.

Shiba Inu Maluko and Koji posing with their ribbons

We are just very proud of all our Shibas. Not only do they qualify, but they do it with grace and dignity. It is a lot of fun to work with our little red dogs and to cheer and celebrate success with friends! What a great weekend.

Lindsay and Sandra
  • I want Chris Cornell to be the guy from Soundgarden/Audioslave...but somehow I doubt this. lol! Congrats on having sheep herding and awesome shibas! :)
  • I wish, but no it wasn't that Chris. That would be awesome though.
  • Congrats!! It's so nice to see shibas working.
  • Congrats! That's awesome! That last pic is really cute too.
  • Over the weekend, Lindsay and I tried Lure Coursing with 3 of our Shibas and it was a lot of fun for all the dogs involved and very gratifying for the human to watch them chasing the plastic lure across the field.

AKC recently started offering Coursing Ability Test (CAT) for all breeds and mix breeds, so dogs other than sighthounds can get a taste of the joy of Lure Coursing. Dogs that are over 12 inch at wither and are not a flat face breed have to run a 600 yard course with several turn chasing a plastic lure with enthusiasm under 2 minutes. Flat-faced breeds and smaller dogs (12 inch and lower at wither) will run a 300 yard course in 1 minute and 30 seconds.

Koji totally enjoyed the chase and here are two of my favorite pictures taken by a professional photographer on site.

• awesome pics! He looks like the puma symbol in the first pic!
  • wow thats awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • That's some awesome pictures! Do they ever step on or get tangled in the lure line? What happens to the dogs if they don't stay on the chase for the full 2 minutes?

Jesse
  • They would break a leg or risk amputation if by some tragic misfortune the line got wrapped around a leg, but most just get line burn if they step on it. It's a pass/fail test. The dog doesn't pass if it takes longer than 2 minutes to return to the start. The dog needs to stay on the lure WITH enthusiasm. If it stops to take a dump, or go play with another dog, it fails. The lure operator will do his/her best to recapture the dog by moving the lure, but sometimes the dogs just get too focused on something else to complete the test.
  • They would break a leg or risk amputation if by some tragic misfortune the line got wrapped around a leg, but most just get line burn if they step on it. It's a pass/fail test. The dog doesn't pass if it takes longer than 2 minutes to return to the start. The dog needs to stay on the lure WITH enthusiasm. If it stops to take a dump, or go play with another dog, it fails. The lure operator will do his/her best to recapture the dog by moving the lure, but sometimes the dogs just get too focused on something else to complete the test.
  • That is really cool and looks like fun!
  • Great pictures and it sounds like so much fun! Maybe I should try that out when I get my kai ;)
    All in all it seems you have a lot of fun and good work with your shiba! Awesome :D
  • edited March 2012
    This is a short video of Koji in Agility class today. It is a longer course and I made several mistakes on course, but I am very proud of him given that we are both new to the sport of Agility and has been training for less than a year.

He did great on the first 12 sets of weave poles and missed the last pole on the 2nd try, but I am very impressed with how he could find the entry to the poles without me luring him. He also did pretty good 2 on 2 off on the dog walk and teeter for a novice dog.

• Yeah Sandra and Koji!!!
  • We went to practice with a local Agility club for the 1st time last Saturday and it was a lot of fun. It was Koji's first time in that practice arena and he did not goof off and check out the arena while we were running the course, which is really good for any dog, let alone a Shiba.

Koji did really well among all the baby (newbie/green) Agility dogs there and here are a few shots of him on the course.

• Love the pictures love the weight stuff on the tunnel might have to show my trainer her tunnel moves a bit even with some support so that might be better option hehe.
  • Loved the videos! Koji's such a versatile dog. It's nice to see Japanese dogs doing well in such different sports.
  • It's Jiko!
  • Great photos!!
  • @Saya

The sand bags are commonly used for training and competition, so the dogs can feel safe (not the tunnel moving) while they speed through it.

@lwroth

The Nihon Kens are very intelligent breeds and I wish more people will try different sports/activities with their Inus. They are agile, smart and can run pretty fast. If you make it fun and worthwhile for them, they will want to work with you and engage you doing different activities.

Koji is currently doing swimming, Rally Obedience, Nosework, Coursing and Agility. I hope we can do Competition Obedience when he is further along in his Agility training. I would also like to try Tracking with him when we are further along in Nosework training. He loves everything I put him through so far and he is truly a joy to work with!

@Jbm0024
    Thank you. The volunteer of the Agility club who set up the practice was kind enough to take pictures for us. I am so glad they turned out really good. The red dog looks pretty cool with the wood chips ground in the arena.
  • Very nice! He looks like he really enjoys that sport!
  • We had a lot of fun at the Peninsula Dog Fanciers Club show in Bremerton this weekend.

Show picture with the judge and their ribbons should be in the mail in 7-10 days, but until then, this is Koji's puppy picture for now. Isn't he a cutie pie? :)

Koji was moved up to the Excellent A class after earning his Rally Advanced (RA) title with a 1st placement on Saturday. He did very well and qualified for his first leg in Excellent today with a score of 95 and 1st placement. Maluko also qualified in the same class and earned her Rally Excellent (RE) title with a 4th placement.

The courses this weekend were very challenging and the judges were demanding, but both kids did well.

Maluko started learning Rally since Aug 2011. We entered our first ever trial in Nov 2011 and she had qualified every trails we entered. I am very proud of her that in about 4 months of trialing, she got her Rally Novice (RN), Rally Advanced (RA) and Rally Excellent (RE) title.

Koji started Rally classes in November 2011 and went to his first trial in mid Jan 2012. So far, he has got his Rally Novice and Rally Advanced title. He not only qualified for every trails we entered so far, but usually gets placements. I have high hopes that he will get his Rally Excellent title soon and maybe breaking Maluko's record.

Maluko and Koji at a local dog park last summer

Great weekend for all the working Shibas! Congrats to Lindsay, Beebe and Farrah (Koji's aunt) for their achievement in Flyball and shout out to Rebekah & Colada for their new Rally Novice (RN) title and a perfect score of 100!
  • Koji is so cute, even when he's scowling ;)