Sesame Oil

Back in the summer we had an issue with our food distributor and ended up running out of dog food. So I had to make some food for the dogs, which meant I had to cook a LOT of food (Kodi eats 10 cups of dry food a day).

Anyway, Jen was out of town at the time and I had a limited selection of foods to make into dog food for them. The only oil we had in the house at the time was Sesame Oil, so I used that for cooking. The dogs FREAKED OUT for it. They LOVED it.

Since then, I've used it to flavor food for the pickier eaters, or when girls are in heat and the boy refuse to eat (which can be dangerous in the winter months as we need them to keep their body fat).

I'm wondering, other than the obvious potential for a sesame allergy, are there any other concerns with giving Sesame Oil to our dogs?

----

Comments

• I have been looking for Sesame Oil but due to my location, it's kinda hard to get odder things. So far I haven't heard of a reason not to give it. That's neat that your dogs go crazy for it, and good to know just in case I end up with a picky dog.

Holy crap 10 cups a day? Wow, that's insane.
  • Yea, I think it's the toasted/smoked smell that they love. It works like magic. lol

The guardians go through 50lbs of food a week. It's crazy.

----
  • That is an awesome idea for the picky eaters!
  • I totally just tested out some toasted sesame oil out on Toki after reading this post, haha! Good things to know though. He seemed to like it enough to follow my commands, but he didn't seem crazy for it. I like it though, super good for pan frying onigiri :D
  • I love sesame oil! I use that stuff to make Japanese fried rice (chahan). Sorry it's irrelevant for this thread but I just wanted to tell every one
  • Lol I was thinking along the same lines as Gen. I love sesame oil with my food. Korean bbq, all u can eat! And shabu shabu!

I haven't heard anything bad about sesame oil for dogs, but if they love it, why not? :)
  • edited December 2011
    it's also a good massage and body oil, though usually you get a more descented kind for that (it still has a kind of nutty, sweet scent, but it's not as strong as the cooking sesame oil) Not that I suggest using it as a massage oil for dogs! Ha!

I only had sesame oil with red chile in it, so I can't test it out on my dogs.

That's amazing how much the guardians eat!

• I love the stuff too, we use it for stir fry and such.
  • @jujee Shabu shabu is AMAZING! I've only had it once and I'm in love!
  • aykayk
    edited January 2012
    We use sesame oil and freshly grounded sesame seeds for the picky human eaters as well (ie. kids).

The only downside I know of is that sesame oil is $$. The bottles/tin cans are getting smaller while the price is going higher. So we resort to using it as a finishing touch at the end of cooking.
  • Wow.... I'm going to try it since Kiyo hasn't been eating her dog food. Too many scrap foods from my boyfriend and his family....