How to cure your pukoku from car-sickness

Took mine for rides in a 21-year old pickup truck in need of new shocks as she rode in a crate in the bed (it had a canopy) . After a few trips on it she got accustomed to it. Well, after a while, we decided to try her out again in our camry with a car hammock. Not a single drop of drool. I guess car-sickness in Shikoku can be relative depending on the ride quality of the car:-)

Jesse

Comments

• Totally agree with the quality of car ride. Miyu does great in Tom's van, but always in my car she'll puke right before we get to the destination. Doesn't matter how long the trip is, 5 minutes or 45minute ride, she'll puke right before the ride is over.
  • I was hoping this thread would help me haha. I get motion sickness so easily it's not even funny.
  • Oh man, I'm so happy I haven't had this problem with Fate!! [ thanking her lucky stars!! ]

I HAVE heard that Benedryl & Cerenia works wonders at helping desensitize them to car-sickness tho! ~
  • I tried Cerenia and it did work the one time I tried it with Sachi. And then a dog trainer I know recommended the ginger pieces that are candied with sugar. Those seem to work too. Sachi can travel the 20-25 min to the dog training facility without puking -- and back. The one time I didn't give her the ginger, on the way there, she puked as we turned into the driveway. :-(

Pukoku :-)

And car doesn't matter with Sachi, she would get sick regardless of the ride. Thank gosh Kuma doesn't . And that she is seemingly getting better (we used to have a 10 min max trip, now up to 20 min - whoot!).
  • Cerenia works well for Kaiju, not at all for ChoCho.
  • Cerenia is a hit and miss for Kurenai.

What we've found is that she lasts longer in car rides if we put her in the car waaaay in advance of us leaving (like 15-30 min before the car actually starts moving). For example, as we got ready to leave for the in-laws, we put the dogs in the car (with the windows cracked open), and then started packing up all the other things we were going to bring. That left her with at least 20 minutes to get accustomed to sitting in the car without it moving. The usual rules apply regarding not feeding her that morning, but she fared very well. On the way back from the in-laws, we did the same thing. She just lay down and went to bed.

Hope this helps other pukoku owners.
    Jesse
  • The more I drive around with my Shikoku the less likely they are to throw up. I find when Kotomi and Shuran are left at home for a couple of weeks without a car ride...they get carsick (when it comes time for a ride in the truck). However, if I take them out for car rides at least 3 times a week...they often do not throw up (accidents do happen sometimes, especially with higher elevation, but they are less likely and more rare). Also, I make sure not to feed them any food 12 hours before our travels. I do not medicate my dogs. The cure for car sickness is longer and more frequent car rides. =]
  • Kaeda used to get car sick as a puppy. Just take them to a nice curvy mountain road, put them in the back seat unrestrained, and go for it. Just kidding, I found that a little AC in the back seat does wonders.
  • Actually, that AC idea is a good one. Now that it's cold around here in NY, Miyu doesn't puke in my car. She also doesn't puke when I open a window close to her.
  • Yeah, the window thing doesn't work for me. However, when the AC is on in the back, Kurenai puts her drooly face right up to it. I'm just afraid she'll blow chunks on the wrong side of the car hammock.

Jesse
  • I have never tried medication of any sort. I find leaving the wing windows open in the back of the van helps; however, what works even better, despite being less than ideal, is letting the dogs be out of their kennel and unrestrained in the sectioned off areas in either the back or middle of the van. With the ability to move, compensate for vehicle lean, and look out multiple windows, I have had multiple ~16-20hr trips with no mess. If you know about the trip ahead of time, you can also skip solid food the night before, and stick to water for the duration. The dog won't mind the fast, and at worst, you have a little foam to clean up when it happens. I also try to keep the temperatures fairly neutral, AC in the summer, moderate heat in the winter, etc.
  • Do you guys think this is a genetic thing? Or something else? Just so weird that most shikoku have this problem. Are any other NK breeds pre-disposed to this? ~
  • Argos is a picky pukoku. He has gotten car sick twice and both incidents occured during a short 10-15 minute ride in a mercedes. He has not puked in our jeep, mother's hyundai, sister's kia or the dodge pick-up we used for a 220km christmas road trip. He only pukes in nice, clean, expensive vehicles. We joke that as a japanese dog he may have it in for german engineering?
    We do try to keep the temperature moderate, not too hot or too cold, and we place him in the vehicle so that he can look out the window. So far so good. Seems that as long as he can see that he is moving, the feeling of moving doesn't cause him to get sick.
  • @Sangmort I think it's a Shikoku thing! lol. Look at how all the owners have tried all the tricks!!
  • @tjbart17 lol It's just that I have never had this problem with Fate...but then again, he's not much of a shikoku to begin with. Guess he skipped that gene ;)

What's also weird is, dutchies get car sick easy too, & Wraith has never puked in the car either.

Maybe there's something soothing about a 97' CR-V & an 02' Lancer?! [ does this mean when I can one day afford my dream car BMW They'll puke all over it!?!?!? :( ] ~
  • Don't feel bad guys, I get carsick in Mercedes also, but nothing's happened in our older cars lol :)
  • i think it can also be due to driving styles. if i drive smoothly without too much speeding, ghost doesnt puke but if im in a rush or have to suddenly brake or corner a little harder than normal then he will usually throw up. im afraid to let him ride in my fast car. i think 650hp and over 700 ft-lbs of torque is going to make him barf. also food shortly before a car ride usually makes him throw up.
    ive also found that open windows help him out as well. i havent tried any meds yet.
  • True. I try to drive a lot slower (and avoid any speed bumps) when I have Kotomi and/or Shuran in my truck. When I'm in rush...I appolygize to them in advanced!
  • Kuma doesn't get carsick ever. Never has. We drive lots and I go to whistler often and fast (curvy road). He just sits there and sometimes sits sideways leaning into the seat for support. He's like a honey badger - he just don't give a f.......
  • You got yourself a lucky one with Kuma! I've driven the Sea-to-Sky Highway (99?) a few times in my college days. Always passed by Whistler on my way to Prince Rupert, but never had the chance to visit. It's a beautiful-looking town.

Jesse
  • Maybe it has to do with the excellent selection of a good name @Eljefespeaks? My 4 yo shikoku Kuma loves car rides beyond all other things and also doesn't get sick. :o)
  • @Eljefespeaks I laughed so hard at the honey badger comment, and I'm still getting residual giggles.
    Arg's doing better with vehicles, but I wish he shared Kuma's ability to deal with vehicles. There was an interesting discussion on car sickness and anxiety on another thread. Argos isn't an anxious guy, with the exception of vehicles. As his anxiety has gone down, so has his sickness (illusory correlation?).
  • so far so good for the last few months ghost hasnt puked in the car. i guess he is now used to it.
    i just hope i didnt jinx anything by mentioning it now!
  • @jikjak No kidding, now they're gonna start projectile vomiting!
  • @Edgewood - undoubtedly :) and likely because he is in the truck a couple times a day - usually more - so he is pretty used to it. Loves sitting in the front seat looking at every possible thing out there.
  • I had a shiba that got car sick all the time. We tried everything with her. Finally my vet told me to give her dramamine. Worked like a charm. Treated her a few times like that, then took her off it and she was fine.
  • Pukoku - thanks for that. Awesome. :)

We definitely have a pukoku. Dramamine works well, and she's 50/50 without it - curvy longer rides generally result in a cleanup. Glad to know I'm not alone.
  • My gosh @Magmagal! I've been following the forum for a while now and didn't recognize your username. Imagine my surprise when I find you got your Shikoku just when I started researching the various Nihonken around 4 years ago! Welcome back! How is your family and Kitsune doing?

Jesse
  • Thanks! Yes, it's been a busy past few years! We are doing great and Kitsu is a love - she's all grown up and very worldly now.
  • i have a pukoku as well, in the beginning, when he was a small puppy, we took him everywhere in the car, and didn't seem to mind,
    but since recently he starts vomiting.. even three times in a single cardrive.. terrible!! i'm always glad to get out of the car. he doesn't seem to puke if he can sit up front in the car and look outside, but when he's in the back, he starts vomiting.. my shiba hasn't got any trouble with being carsick..