What is your experience with Kai?

edited December 2011 in Kai Ken (甲斐犬)
Hi to all,

I am considering a Kai .it is going to be a slow process as I am gathering as much info on the breed as I can. I found this forum and I think this is the best place to be.

I would really love to hear from people who have Kai .What is there temperament like? Differences in temperament from puppy to adult? Male temp. Vs female's. How would a Kai do with another dog or other animals? Best way to go by ang getting a Kai?

Basically anything you guys could help me with I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks

A.

Comments

• Hi and welcome. I'm on my phone so I can't answer as wells what I would like to but when I get on my computer I would be happy to go into detail. Just wanted to let you know that I am not ignoring you. :-)
  • Thank you
  • Can some one please give me some leads about finding a reputable breeder,possibly some one member have already used and are happy with.I am looking into a breeder as close to Maryland as possible. I have also seen people importing from Japan.Sounds like a long way ,how does that work?

Thank you

A.
  • None near Maryland. Maybe Brad @brada1878 can help you.
  • Hi Alban,

I very recently bought my first Kai Ken. While I have a long history with Shiba Inus and (American) Akitas, I'd never met a Kai and also had a lot of questions about the breed and no idea where to start looking. The folks on this forum have been very helpful to me, but I learned the most from talking directly with breeders - they obviously know their breed and want to place their puppies successfully, so start calling them up and listen carefully to what they have to say :).

Let me pass on a couple things I learned... Since there are no Kai Ken breeders anywhere near me, one of the first things I realized was that I was not going to be able to find a puppy locally. I doubt there are any near you either, so plan on traveling to pick up your puppy (or shipping him/her, if you are willing to do that). It took me a little bit longer to understand that I was not going to be able to find a puppy who met all of my criteria (when I started looking, I had a very long "wish list" that was very specific in regards to gender, color, size, temperament, type, registration options, etc). There are just so few Kai litters being born each year in this country that you need to be a bit flexible! Finally, by talking to a lot of different people and hearing the same things (and a few different things) from so many sources, I think I gained a good understanding of what I can expect from my Kai.

I ended up buying my puppy from Pam at Royal Kennel in Ohio, and had a very positive experience, so I'd definitely recommend talking to her. I also would particularly recommend talking to Brad at Yamabushi Kennel in NM as he was quite helpful to me in finalizing my decision to add a Kai to my life and was very generous with his time and knowledge of the breed. But, as I said, talk to as many breeders as you can - the more you learn, the better decision you'll be able to make!

I'm certainly no expert on Kai Ken (after all, I met my very first one less than three weeks ago!), but I am intrigued by the breed and certainly enjoying my first few weeks owning one.

Good luck in your search!

Eunice from NH

• Thank you Eunice, extremely helpful. Do you have other dogs?
  • I've got a pack of Shibas (6 who live with us and another dozen or so whom we co-own with family and/or close friends). If I include pups we've bred and dogs we've fostered over the years, we've probably lived with and/or worked with close to a hundred individual Shibas. In the past, we owned 3 Akitas, and were very active in our local Akita rescue org, fostering a couple dozen individuals and working with (evals and transports) many many more. I think it's fair to say I know a lot about those two breeds! But, I'm a complete newbie to the Kais, and I think you'd do better to learn about them from people who know the breed rather than hearing stuff about them second hand from me :)

I can make a couple observations about my Kai baby but please remember that I'm talking about one individual, so it's probably not fair to generalize to the whole breed. Also, I'm comparing her to Akita and Shiba puppies of similar age whom I've worked with, and I don't know how things will change over time. My pup's learning style is much more like an Akita than like a Shiba, by which I mean that she is not quite as quick to pick things up but is more biddable than the Shibas (I'm not sure how I feel about this yet, but I suspect I'll appreciate it in the long run). She has that intensity about her that most Akitas have but most Shibas do not have (which is cool). In terms of energy level and athleticism, she's much more like the Shibas than like the Akitas (which is great!). She quickly bonded very closely to me and my family (which the best Shibas and the best Akitas do) - this is something I was repeatedly told was a Kai trait, and I can attest to it (this is overall a good thing, but, as exemplified by the fact that she's already attempting to "resource guard" ME, obviously presents its own challenges). She seems happy, confident and even-keeled, which is great (a definite relief) as I was warned that some Kai can be overly sensitive, and I know from experience that dealing with the whole angst/moodiness thing (which is prevalent in Akitas and Shibas) gets old pretty quick. Overall, she's a really neat puppy, and I'm looking forward to seeing how she grows up.

One unique and interesting thing about this Kai puppy is that, so far, she is doing very well with all my livestock. In spite of my efforts to the contrary, all the Shibas we have raised (while mostly good with other animals) have considered chickens to be really cool toys that magically turn into dinner when played with (all of the Akitas we owned were aggressive towards all other animals). With one of my Shiba litters, I began introducing the puppies to chickens at 5 weeks old (the same time they all start learning about cats), hoping that if I started early enough, the pups would learn to accept chickens, but, by 7-8 weeks, the feathers had started flying, and I officially declared the experiment a failure :). So far, this Kai pup is totally cool with the chickens - she wanders in and out of the chicken house just sniffs the birds politely. She also has a better relationship with my barn cats (they actually seem quite fond of one another) than any other dog of similar age I've owned. I was warned that Kai have a very high prey drive (and she's certainly got toy-drive!), but, with this puppy at least, it seems to be less hard-wired than I'd expected. I can't claim to understand it, but it's a nice plus.

That's really all I can tell you! Do start talking to Kai people - I suspect that, as I was, you'll be convinced. Good luck!

Eunice
  • @Eunice--wow, thanks for that comparison! It's quite interesting. I'm always thinking about what will the next dog be, and Kais are still on my list, though I haven't decided as certainly no new dog is coming home here soon (given my Akita is just 1.5 years old), but I loved the comparison, and it made me think that a Kai would probably fit in with us well.
  • edited December 2011
    OK I'm back on. Sorry this weekend was packed with work and getting ready for the holidays.

I for one am thrilled to see more people becoming interested in Kais. Eunice said that there are few litters, and I may contradict her a little bit. There are less litters than Shibas and AA's, however in the past three years, I've seen litters within one year double, and I expect with the newly added breeders and new stock, as well as some of the breeders working cooperatively that this number will triple in size in no time. Which means that demand must start meeting supply.

I find Kais just as equally quick as Shibas, and quicker to learn than Akitas. My Kai, Koda, was raised with one of my best friend's Shiba. Her Shiba was born 4 days before Koda. We did a lot of early training together, and Koda outperformed the frisky little Shiba everytime. He learned in the home just as quickly as she did, and seemed to be more biddable than her. She had a little mind of her own. With recall and hold/stay commands, he still outperforms her. He received his CGC at 14 months of age. There was very little preparation as he is a natural when it comes to social manners.

I find Kais extremely easy to train, and very handler soft. I wish I could take credit for Koda and Mei, but they just seem to get things quickly. I mean I love the compliments I receive from people who think I'm the most amazing trainer, but I'm not. I'm just a regular person who lucked out with some great dogs.

My story......
    I received Koda from a breeder in Michigan, Roberta, when he was nine weeks old. He's now 2 1/2 years old. The first thing I noticed about Koda is that he's and independent thinker. I also noticed that as a pup he had a high flight drive. Meaning that when it comes to flight/fight he would not engage in a fight but rather run to protect himself. As time went on, he learned that running to me for protection was the thing to do.

When Koda was a pup, he had this feral quality (due to the flight instinct). As he matured, and we did some tracking/agility workshops, he gained confidence. We also did a whole lotta socialization those first few weeks home. Nothing that would overwhelm him, but we were out and about experiencing new things, sites, and sounds every day. He is not quarrelsome. Although he has it in his mind that he hates Giant Malamutes. Not sure why. He's great with my 20 year old cat and all puppies or smaller dogs. He acts as their watcher and protector. He has never resource guarded and came home potty trained. He never chewed up anything in the house. I often joke that he came home a two year old dog.

Koda is very emotionally bonded with me. He still gains a bit of his confidence with me around, and is happy to be with only me all day long. He is very friendly with most everyone he meets. He's a bit of an outgoing Kai due to his early socialization. He loves all of my family members. But he is still a one person dog.

And then there's Mei....
    Mei came from Taiwan. Marsha, also a Kai breeder in Ohio, received a call from the Shiba Inu rescue that they had a Kai coming to SF. I agreed to pick her up and foster her.

When I picked Mei up, she quickly ran up to me and looked me right into my eyes. She stared at me like she was reading my soul. This is the most intense moment that I've ever had with a dog. At that moment, she chose me. She was going to be a part of my family.

Mei was 27 pds. and 15 months old when I got her. She is now 38 pds. She had scabs, an infected embedded chain mark on her neck, bruised ribs, and well more. She was abused and very under socialized. She was also not potty trained as she was chained up outside for most of her puppyhood. I'm telling this to show you the difference between the two's early life.

Mei had severe anxiety. She was only calm when in my arms on the couch. She had no social manners, was a resource guarder, climbed on everything including the kitchen table, counters, up on top of the entertainment center, palm trees, the fence. She was out of control in such an endearing way. She was all wild Kai.

Now Mei lives with my parents. It took a couple of difficult months to train her, but she seemed to get everything quickly once we learned how to communicate with each other. She's a great dog, who is very bonded to my dad. She's still shy in social settings around other dogs, but would never pick a fight. Although, she would finish one if another dog started it. She's tough. She kills anything that moves, but is now doing well with the cat. She still looks at her like food sometimes though. She doesn't resource guard anymore, but will hoard treats in her crate for later.

Mei is extremely high drive, and not for the inexperienced home. She is a true huntress. She is an extreme Kai, but may not be that extreme as far as females go.

Both dogs are trained off leash, and will stop on a dime when told to. Koda tried to run off the other day for a cat, and one hold command from me, and he was stopped dead in his tracks. It was very impressive. I wish someone was there to see it. he he.

They are also both very very bonded with the family. They need their humans around, and would be emotionally hurt if we ever raised our voice to them or yelled at them. I recommend ONLY doing positive reinforcement with these dogs. They need to trust you. They need to know that you are there for them. And in return they will be devoted to you like no dog I've ever seen.
  • I have two Kais and I'm not changing breed. I'm totally in love with it. That's all I have to say :D.
  • @MirkaM Yeah that pretty much sums it up. Sometimes I think about a Kishu in my future though.

I'll add, I think Mei might be mixed with Kishu or Shikoku. She is pedigreed, but her color is off. I also think her drive is too high for a Kai. In speaking with a Kai owner overseas, her breeder may have mixed the Kais with other NK to sharpen their drive. It's a rumor.
  • Very very helpful insights.I am liking the Kai more and more. How will the Kai do with another dog in the home ? I know this probably is on a singular dog basis. Is a male Kai different in temperament and trainability from a female?

Thanks again to all for the priceless information.Great venue ,really

Best

A.
  • Any training tips ,Kai specific,I should know about ?
  • Kais are very dog friendly, but do not like playing with dogs who do not have social manners. They are not quarrelsome dogs at all. Mei's always been great with Koda and visa versa. I never worried about leaving them alone even when I first got Mei.

@alban What type of dog do you have?

They run!!! Keep your Kai on leash when you first get him/her. If you want to train off leash, then do it slowly and right when you get your pup. Start with a 30 foot lead and only in controlled areas. If they get spooked or see something to hunt they will take off. Don't let children walk Kais alone until the Kai is older and trained. That's my Kai warning.

Only use positive training methods. Kais are sensitive and can get their feelings hurt. Don't yell or raise your voice. You don't need to.

Other than that, build trust and love them. That's all they want. You will learn to read each other very well.
  • My dog is a mixed black norwegian elkhound .He likes to play as long as the other is not in his face all the time.i guess he is like I am ,in a way.

Thank you tjbart,appreciate it
  • Oh! I had a norwegian elkhound mix years ago, or rather my mom did, though when I was still at home, I took care of her. She was the smartest dog I've ever had, bar none. She taught herself to climb a ladder! They are wonderful dogs, and I still kind of toy with the idea of getting another some day!
  • I think an Elkhound would be a wonderful playmate. They even look like Kais. Koda plays with an Elkhound at the park. The only difference I've really seen in them is mine like playing with other dogs when given the chance. They don't need me. The Elkhound seems to want to play with his owner more, ie fetch etc. But they get along very well.

@shibamistress Mei climbed a ladder right onto my parent's roof while we were putting up Christmas lights and proceeded to run around. After my mild coronary, I was able to get her down.
  • How do they do with children? Will a Kai be OK in a home assuming it gets enough exercise?
  • Alban, Brad (the breeder from NM) has a youtube account with videos of his Kai's playing, running around, etc. with his other dogs. It couldn't hurt to check his page out! http://www.youtube.com/user/YamabushiKennel?feature=g-all-u

• Well Koda is a therapy dog and service dog who has worked with kids. Mei just adores children. From my experience yes Kais will do great with kids.

This doesn't mean that people shouldn't teach children how to greet/interact properly with any dog.
  • I looked at the Youtube videos,thanks for the link .
  • I think Kai with kids comes very much down to socialization. Tyson was not socialized with kids, so he is very suspicious of the small things that move in a strange way. When he meets a new kid for the first time, I have to feed him a LOT of treats and make sure the kid doesn't approach him. If I manage the introduction carefully, he will warm up pretty quickly. If I don't and he gets off on the wrong foot, it will lead to a lot of barking and discomfort on his part. Once Tyson knows somebody, he is incredibly tolerant of them. So if he was raised with a kid, or a kid raised with him, I have no doubt he would be FANTASTIC around them.
  • Here is my experience in the last 9 months with my first Kai.
    Until I picked up Kuki, I had never met a Kai and I have no serious dog training experience.

Sociability - Kuki is very social and loves to meet other dogs. He will roll and tumble with any dog willing, even dogs bigger than him. While out on walks, if we come across small kids, he is careful with them. Sometimes he will be aloof with a large group of children.

House Training - As soon as we got him, I was able to keep him from going to places in the house where we could not see him, behind the the coach, in the closet, in room corners where there are extension cords. All I would do, was tell him no and pick him up repeatedly until he quit going to these places. Since he was a puppy, I only wanted him in places I could see him.

When we got him, he had a couple of accidents in the house. None for a few weeks then a couple of accidents. He hasn't had one in months and I would be shocked if he had an accident now. When he wants to go outside to do his business, he stands in front of the door as his signal.

Leash Training - He adapted to walking on the leash quickly, He has a quick pace and has a preference to walk a little of front of me rather than right besides me. I have to keep reminding him with the heel command to be next to me.

Recall Training - One of our walking routes is in a park with a paved path in a natural drainage wash area bounded by houses.
    Only because this is a "closed" area, will I allow him off leash to chase a rabbit. He will take off full speed after his prey. I will run after him, calling his name. When he gets to a point where he can't reach is prey and looking for it, I will get close enough to him, with a firm "come" command and he will walk up to me. I will firmly tell him "sit" and he will accept his leash and collar to continue our walk. I don't think I would try it out in the wild.

Very Active - He has alot of energy and is very playful. He has to have his walks and something to chew on. Usually in the morning he gets his zoomies doing laps in the backyard.

High Point - Like most Kai's, his favorite spot is a high point in the house. At the top of the stairs, where he can see out the windows at everybody walking by.

Escape Artist - At my mom's house, he found a way to get out squeeze himself through the gate to get out. Our house is secure so he can't do that.

Sensitive - He knows when he's in trouble for chewing something he wasn't supposed to. As soon as you show the item to him and tell him no, he tucks his ears and tail down. He really is like a child.

I hope this helps.
  • I can't imagine my life without a Kai in it. That's how my experience has been =]
  • @jujee - Funny you say that, Candice "informed" me that we will never be without a Kai too. :-)
  • I'm with Julie and Candice.
  • Is the 'escape artist' a fact for all Kai ?
  • Koda won't escape. He's a bit of a mama's boy. Mei will get out of anywhere. I would count on needing a secure yard or tie outs.
  • I'm with Julie Candice and Tara. I am actually starting to think about a second Kai...

Kaiya won't escape either. She bolted out the door once and we worked on the wait command so she would wait at the door until being released. Now we dont even have to say "wait" she just looks at us until we release her to go out the door.

• Well, Kyuubi isn't an escape artist, like trying to find ways to escape, but I did have a heart attack with him this morning. He went walking through some bushes and was trying to walk through a branch. Somehow his leash unhooked from his collar and latched onto the branch instead. I saw him walk out without the leash and I went over to unhook the leash from the branch. He looked at me holding the leash in hand and he realized he wasn't confined to me anymore. So he took off in the other direction and wouldn't come back to me when I called. Little devil.

I couldn't muster the strength to run after him full speed, I fell down the stairs yesterday (yes I am clutzy) plus I wouldn't be able to catch up with the guy anyway! He runs so darn fast lol. Luckily, it was in the complex we live in, and we live towards the back so I wasn't worried he would run into traffic. Finally caught him when he stopped to take a poop and grabbed onto his collar and re-leashed him.

I do wish I lived in an area where I could let him off leash and not have to worry, but there are tons of stray dogs around my area, and if somehow he did manage to run towards the front of the complex he would be out on a very busy street.

However, I do believe he would have come home after he was done doing some exploring, but I wasn't going to chance it. =]