Male vs female gregariousness with new people

So here's my query, based on my impression of my 2 shikoku and also posting by other shikoku owners over time. But I am starting a thread to kind of check on my impression....

To me, it seems that male shikoku are generally more outgoing, less reserved with new people (ie, someone that they have never met before). And to me, female shikoku, while friendly, are a little bit more reticent (cautious?) to greet new people initially, and maybe not as effusive on just meeting someone new?

As puppies both my two were pretty friendly to everyone, the male more so, in adolescence, the female was a bit shy on initial greeting, now she is not shy but she is not effusive like the male is on meeting new people. She likes to meet them and likes their petting, but she is just quiet in her demeanor.

Now once they know the person well, I feel that my two are both equally exhuberant. In actuality, when they really know and love someone, their manners can disappear and they jump up and kiss wildly.

So that it my impression based on 4 years of membership here, but would love the input of other shikoku owners :-) Of course, each dog is an individual, but I am just trying to assess general trends.

@Crimson02
@Brada1878
@Shikokuspirit
@Calia
@the_november_rain
@hondru
@taraA
@Sangmort

And there are many more newer owners who have younger puppies, your input is desired too!

Comments

• I tend to agree with you, tho Kaiju is still too young for me to feel comfortable stating 100% on him. But, yea, Kaiju is more out-going and friendly toward strangers than Loa and ChoCho. He's also a much harder dog, he can take a lot of pressure.

----
  • I would have to say that I agree with your assessment in females greeting strangers. When a stranger comes up, Miyu's tail will wag like crazy but her body stays very low and somewhat flinches at sudden movements. She'll slowly go closer to the stranger, sniff, give a few short licks and then all barriers are gone. She'll jump right on the person and their neck will be covered in spit. Even people who make her uncomfortable enough that she barks at them will get licked after a few minutes.
  • InuYasha is different. When greeting new people he rushes to them, stops short a few feet, stretches out his body, puts his nose on them and sniffs like no tomorrow. I think he reacts differently to people depending on whether they are relaxed or nervous.
  • edited December 2011
    Well Shoushuu is aggressively outgoing with people (jumping up on them, licking them in the face, nibbling their chin and so forth) but outside in public and off-property. At home he is territorial and dislikes strange humans invading his property. Generally, this is mostly geared towards adult men but sometimes human females as well (anyone who emits a kind of "presence" - a potential threat). He seems to be consistently safe with young children and fragile elders (as far as being non-reactive; He could still use some manners though, lol). He knows the difference, I guess. I think it's because they aren't much of a threat. =]

Shuran is kind of odd. For the most part he is "okay" with strange humans. Mostly, he just ignores them. He doesn't care much for people he doesn't know, he's non-reactive though towards them (thus safe). He is a bit sensitive - can be insecure and "skittish" at times but he recovers. He likes to be around and socialize with humans he knows. At home, he is fine with strangers and is curious about them. I guess it depends on his mood and the situation (Is he feeling sick? Is he happy? Is he kind of bummed? Is he comfortable? Is he uncomfortable? Does this human have something of interest? Et cetera...). He is more more sensitive then I'd like to see in Shikoku BUT the more I think about it...if he is to hunt boar, that sensitivity may come in handy.

Kotomi is neutral. She doesn't really like strangers but she doesn't hate them either. She'll tolerate them - especially for a cookie! She is non-reactive with humans and thus safe. She takes the cautious approach at first but will gradually warm up and make friends. If you are a human she knows but hasn't seen in a while she gets SUPER EXCITED and is very interactive. Otherwise, she just sits quiet and pretty while tolerating the strange human greetings.

**** To me it seems though that Shikoku are more interested in their environment or other dogs. They don't really seem to care about humans all that much. ****
  • There are a few people Kurenai is very cautious of. Otherwise she is very curious, outgoing and very forward. She will try and jump up and lick them in the face if she can. I'd say she's very outgoing and regarious 70% of the time very much how you would describe a Shikoku male's attitude in greeting.

Jesse
  • Interesting to hear everyone's stories about their dogs. I would say that Corina's description of Kotomi's greeting is about what my Sachi does. And Jesse, it sounds like Kurenai is very outgoing, but isn't Ahi really outgoing too (@brada1878), vs Cho Cho and Loa.

And Corina's description of Shoushou is very much like my Kuma, except that he is the aggressively outgoing dog to everyone any time, both away and at home. If anything, he is worse at home and more rude in his greeting. Away, because we do competitive obedience match work, he will ignore others until released. At home, he tends to forget that! Although, if he sees something strange, he does have an aggressive bark and looks tough (usually a person on a bike, but not away from home, only when he is in the yard).
  • Attitude depends so much on a given situation...

Basic Daytime Greets...
    Yoshi...heads straight for anyone new; inside or out, though he is decidedly more territorial at home than when we meet someone out and about. Regardless, he will always check someone out, and if a hand goes to scratch uninvited he will grumble, but lick the hand and accept the attention...more attention equals more vocals...this is where some people get intimidated by the sound and pull back. If given the chance this gets a jump and a shot from a fast tongue. Anyone he has accepted he will go up on, sit beside, play with, etc.

Kimi...takes a curious but tempered approach with adults, though tends to perk up and go right to kids; she loves playgrounds. New people in the home she sniffs and watches; accepting attention but always keeping herself between the newcomer and the wee ones...she "herded" gramma around our home the first time she came to visit and did not leave her alone with my girls until day two or so.

After an Absence Greets...
    Kimi is VERY excited when meeting someone she hasn't seen in awhile; tail wagging, going through her favorite tricks, etc.

Yoshi is excited to see us, but others...he picks and chooses, some old friends he wanders right over to and attempts to initiate a wrestling match; others he decides he couldn't be bothered. *shrug*

After Dark Approaches...
    With myself, both stay close and watch, but otherwise behave quite calmly.

With my wife, both will posture and growl quite menacingly, at which point the stranger changes direction or crosses the street.

I assume the last point has more to do with how 'safe' or 'confident' the one holding the leash is feeling when wandering after dark.

Kimi has also started to become a tad more social since we added Yoshi to the group...he has taught her a few different ways to play with toys; which I am sure he regrets, as she will steal them for herself if he appears to be having too much fun... :)
  • My family and I will be owning a Shikoku soon. We already have a 1 year old male Shiba, who is very outgoing and loves everyone. He goes with us pretty much everywhere we go and has encountered all kinds of situations, sounds, smells, people on a pretty much daily basis, so not much seems to bother him. Question-when the Shikoku joins our family and has experienced the same things as our Kioko that should help with any kinds of apprehensions right?

Then my next question that I need help with is do we bring a male or female into the house. I am asking because of the dominance thing.
  • Dominance is an outdated philosophy of thinking when it comes to canine relationships and heirarchy because it mainly applied to theories by observing non-related wolves thrown together in captivity (normally, wolf packs consist of families).

There are many successful dog owners here with same sex pairs and haven't reported much of any trouble as long as the dogs are closely monitored for their first year together at least.

As someone who introduced a Shikoku female puppy to a 2-year old Shiba male, let me tell you, they are "pushy". They get inquisitive, they push boundaries on social greetings (long sniffs on the face), and they are just generally, mouthier and boundless bundles of energy.

Take your time about the introduction and go slow. Behaviorists have written chapters and books regarding the matter of introducing a dog to your pack. Things like meeting the puppy on neutral territory and repeated greetings together outside before your Shiba male sees the Shikoku puppy inside. Sometimes getting the puppy introduced to your Shiba male one sense at a time will help your Shiba more quickly adjust that there's another dog in the house (smell, sound, then sight).

Jesse
  • Thank you Jesse. Very helpful info. Will definitely keep in mind when we start the introductions.
  • @dheisler and @Calia -- The woman (Beth) that owns Miyu also owns a Shiba and Siberian. She has lots of videos of the play between the types of dogs. Miyu plays better with the Sibe than the Shiba, who she likes to "push his buttons".

http://www.youtube.com/user/Chlotho/videos

I personally think that the female shikoku are more relentless players and don't take "no" from another dog all that well. I think that my male shikoku is much more tolerant and likely to read a "no" signal from another dog better.

• @dheisler - I have an intact shikoku male & an intact dutch shepherd male. Both are CRAZY about eachother. I would say, actually, that Fate [ shikoku ] is TOO attached to Wraith. So on the same sex front, personally, I haven't experienced too many issues. However, we did get both our boys only 6 months apart.

---

As far as male vs female gregariousness with new people...I have no idea. Fate's desire to greet people just varies so much. It depends on the time of day, if we're at home, or out somewhere, off-leash vs on-leash, if there are other dogs with him, etc. etc.

In general tho, Fate is more reserved with new people. [ a lot of people think he doesn't like them at first lol ] However, I'm comparing this to Wraith, who wants to drag me 10 miles to go molest a random stranger with his love. ;) ~