Leg wraps. Has anyone had experience with using them?

The last couple of days have been cold and windy, and Koda's leg is hurting from it. I was thinking that maybe I could insulate the plate a little with a wrap. I will of course contact his physical therapist on Monday, but I was wondering if anyone on here has ever used one and what their opinion is of them.

I found this one online.
http://www.equestriancollections.com/product.asp?groupcode=BK00041

In 12-14 months, Koda will have the plate taken out but it will mean he has to live through two winters and I would love to take him to Tahoe for Christmas with me. I would hate to have him miss out on the snow that HE LOVES so much.

Comments

• There is a nice assortment of leg wraps on Clean Run, along with some other therapeutic rehab equipment. I haven't used any wraps on mine aside from occasional koban, but that sounds like a good idea for him when it gets colder.
  • @lindsayt What a great website. I need to peruse it more. They actually have the same wrap on it. Maybe I actually did a good job of picking one out. Thanks. I knew someone on here who knew about the agility/sporting circuit would be able to recommend something for Koda.
  • Dog Leggs makes a "Hock Sock": http://www.dogleggs.com/files/hocksock.cfm

We've used their products a few times (Ahi) and liked them.

----
  • Kaiya had custom wraps like this made for her hock injury. http://therapaw.harveyplum.com/content/custom-tarsal-wrap

I like them, but they did seem to strech quite a bit.
  • edited December 2011
    We have had good luck with the Back on Track brand wrap and ordered it through our PT person. Works for us after stretching the carpis before and in between agility (for previously damaged area that has had PT). Make sure he is adjusted to having it on though. Mine is ok with it but some dogs come to a dead halt if not given some time with the product. Some animals will shred them if left alone with it on as well.

A lady in our agility group has the coat/blanket for her dog..... If you have a short coated dog (whippet) the blankets are fantastic so cool down is not too dramatic after a run through. Worth the money and avoiding additional pt costs.

Snf
  • edited December 2011
    Sweet more options.

I've also started laying a blanket over Koda at night. He began laying on that leg last week when it got really cold at night, like he did right after surgery. It's obvious that he's protecting it. The blanket works well with keeping it warm and seems to help with morning stiffness in the leg.

Last night he moved on the bed, and when he did he took the blanket off. I could feel him trying to get it back over himself with his nose frantically. I had to help him out, and he fell right back asleep. It was kind've cute. Koda now has a woobie.
  • Poor guy, but that does sound a bit cute. It's good that he understands the blanket helps.
  • @Losech it was really cute. I did cover his leg after surgery as well. I think he associates the blankie with comfort by now. I never thought I'd ever have to wrap up my double coated dog who loves sitting out in the snow for hours.
  • Woobie, lol. That's really cute. What about a heating pad for winter? Mine are glued to my electric blanket, double coats and all.
  • You could use this kind of bed: Link
    You get 30% off site-wide until Sunday if you use the code CPA3010.
  • That bed is awesome! I wonder if he'd go for it. I know if he didn't Mei would. It would never be a waste around here.
  • @Hondru Dang that bed is awesome! I'd sleep in that.