Boar hunting equipment

edited November 2011 in Hunting & Working
@TheWalrus @shishiinu

Any boar hunters out there want to share with me all the equipment they use? Gen, I know you were going to tell us about your knives. Best guns? Thanks!

Comments

• Ok so here's a quick list of items I always pack with me on my adventures. I will post up some photos of the equipment asap.

Small day pack (badlands hydration pack with 2liter bladder)
    Gun: I switched to a 30-30 single shot rifle since I noticed that its mutach easier on sound and recoil then the magnum revolver and ten times lighter them my Marlin lever gun.
    Extra ammo.
    Knife: I carry a Randall knives special ops knife on a thigh rig holster. Knives of Alaska skinner, Gerber Skinner, Gerber pack hatchet (breaking the pelvic bone), and a game saw for cutting knecks, legs, and hard bone.
    K9 first aid kit.
    Snacks (human and K9)
    Maps and gps.
    Light weight rain jacket (so that the blood doesnt soak into you back from the dead pig)
    Rope (for tying hog legs together to carry out on my back).
    Mechanix Gloves
    Lots of heavy duty latex gloves (hogs have many blood born pathogens so latex gloves is a must during field dressing).

Boots: (EXTREMELY IMPORTANT) I have gone through a crap load of different boots and s far I have come down to two. One is the Danner vanish boot and UnderArmor hunting boots (super comfy right out of the box but stinks).
    Clothing: I like base layer systems so I wear UnderArmor stuff as a base layer (under garments and socks). My favorite pants are the Black Hawk OD green tac pants and a old pair of camo t-shirt.

I think I got every thing... oh and the most important part of this entire mess is my two Kishus!
  • Lol funny trivia of the day. There's a guy on Twitter with the named @TheWalrus who happens to be a boar hunter who probably got linked to this thread via the NKF Twitter feed.
  • @okiron - Yea, I saw that too, Rina! lol
  • @shishiinu - Gen, you should check out the Mystery Ranch NICE Frame, specifically the Load Sling for hauling your boar bits after field dressing: http://www.mysteryranch.com/hunting/nice-frame-packs/nice-load-sling-pack

I've considered one of their day packs (the crewcab: http://www.mysteryranch.com/hunting/nice-frame-packs/nice-crewcab-pack) that's built on the NICE frame as then, if a dog gets injured while I'm out in the bush, I could haul them on my back to get them back to the truck (this has happened to me before and it SUCKED without a way to carry them easily).

Just a thought...

----
  • This image is a bit more fitting of an example, but I can't embed it: http://www.flickr.com/photos/40542035@N08/4889206234/in/set-72157621953680708

• Those packs are designed by Dana Gleason, one of the best backpack makers around. I've been using one of his Dana Design Terraplanes for winter camping for 15 years now. No pack works quite as well with heavy loads as his, IMHO.
  • Wow that's a nice pack! My dads been trying to sell me on the mystery ranch packs so I may have to try it. My only thing is I like small day packs that I can carry in front of me after I take a hog and carry it on my back. I try not to bone out my animals out in the field cause of the heat and dirt and last time I did it I wated a lot of meat too.

That first pack would be perfect for hogs that I have to quarter out though.
  • Here's my Badlands day pack with hydration bladder.

Badlands day pack

Fielddressing equipment.

Hog gear

My badass Randall Knife.

Randall knife
  • @shishiinu - That Randall Knife really is badass!

@kumachan - Yea, Dana Gleason is the man when it comes to pack design. I have the Mystery Ranch "3 Day Assault" pack (link) and LOVE it... but I want one with the NICE Frame now too.

----
  • nice knives, what knife do u like best for field dressing game?
    i agree with the under armour boots, i picked up a pair recently and they were very comfy out of the box and they kept my feet warm and dry.

btw have u seen the knives made by extrema ratio? i love them, heres a link. maybe one of their fixed blades would be suitable as a hunting knife, if u get a chance to look, please tell me what u think of the col. moschin fixed blade knife.

http://www.extremaratioknivesdivision.eu/english/index.html

http://xtremeknives.com/index.html
  • @shishiinu: off topic, but how often do you hunt with your pack? Do the dogs get "itchy" if they haven't been out at some point and tracked a hog?
  • @jikjak: those are some cool looking knives. It will all depend what you want to get out of a blade. If your state allows using knives for hunting hogs then yes the col. Mochin would be perfect. It would not be a good dressing knife because of the blade design. Also I'm not really familiar with large blades knives with removable grips but as long as its sturdy then it should be good.

@kumachan: I try to hunt with my kishus one to two times a week on average. I also have a bird dog but her season is only three months long so I have to make sure every dog gets out a even amount of time. Taro does get a little upset if we don't get out during really hot days and bad weather. When we don't hunt they just get their regular walks.
  • edited December 2011
    Those Mystery Ranch packs do look pretty sturdy! Wow, impressive.

*** Funny thing though...reading this reminded me that I need to start investing into my hiking gear. So that I can go out for longer hikes with my dogs. More like tolerate, my stamina is pretty bad in high elevation. =(^-^`)= Heh. ***
  • edited December 2011
    how do you hunt boars with knives?
    that sounds fun and dangerous at the same time!

btw can you recommend a really good knife for skinning and gutting game?
  • edited December 2011
    @Jikjak I've got a couple really good ones for small game but I can't remember what they are. They're hidden deep down in some boxes somewhere with all the rest of my interesting things. If I ever find them I'll let you know what brand/style.

@ShikokuSpirit I'm sorta in the process of doing that. I've got a buttload of hiking gear that I need to go through and find all the stuff that I'll actually use and buy what I don't have. I've got a couple hunting/hiking trips planned for late winter/spring/early summer and will need to have all that junk sorted by then.

@Shishiinu You can hunt boar with just about anything here, including dogs. No closed season, no bag limit, no weapon restrictions. However, they are relatively rare and those hunters who do know where they are don't tell anybody. If I stay in Oregon I hope that doesn't change so I'll be able to hunt boar when I get myself some hog dogs.
  • @jikjak - With a BIG catch-dog! ;o)

BTW, Terence, you have expensive taste man. Those knives you mentioned are awesome, but wow some are uber-expensive!

----
  • I did knife hunting in new Zealand a while back and it is a adrenalin rush like you will never believe. The way taro and yuki hunts, I think I could do it but it's illegal to do in kaliforniastan.

My favorite skinner is the 1976 model gerber with the wood handle in the second pic. The Alaskan made knives are ok but will requir constant sharpening if you get a animal with lots of fat. I also like the damaskas blades but the cheap ones suck. Randall knives makes great skinners and would recommend them.
  • @shishiinu-- You guys have some strange hunting regs. Can't knife hunt for a complete nuisance species? Can't put gps on your dogs? Odd.
  • Yup that's California for ya. Supposedly using a knife is inhumane and it tortures animals when in average a hog will expire within 5 to 10 seconds and there isn't any chances of a dog getting injured from a bullet.
  • A knife right to the heart of a boar is pretty much the most humane way to kill them.
  • ya they can get pricey but they are awesome. i ordered the nemesis folder last year but im itching for one of their fixed blades. well made, sharp and solid knives.
    i find that u can get a good bang for the buck with the cold steel knives. they are pretty good!

im going to have to check out those gerber and randall ones.
  • I have had two coldsteel and both of them failed for field use. The steel used for the knife just doesnt stay sharp long enough to field dress a whole deer without stopping to sharpen a few times. The only good Gerbers are the old model one where the forging was done in the US by real knife makers. The new stuff is just not that great so that being said my money is on Randall.
  • I've noticed most of the big knife makers have started sending some of their manufacturing to China and Taiwan which results in crappy quality metals being used and poor overall quality. But, most of them still have some knives that are made in Japan or the US, you just have to do your research and find the right one.

For example, I have a SOG VL-11 Vulcan (a folding knife) that is made in Japan and it's amazing. However I do have a SOG Seal Pup (fixed blade) which is made in China and it's pretty solid! So, I think it comes more down to the metal that's used than where it is made... but still, I'd buy something made in Japan, Europe, or the US from good metal before I'd buy one made in China or Taiwan from good metal. That's my $0.02.

----
  • Yeah I agree. I think the altimate test for me is a blade that can field dress without constantly having to sharpen it. I'm going to buy a Japanese style hunting knife that is based off of the blades used by old matagi hunters.

I think Gerber and Buck knives lost a lot of their blade quality when they went more for mass produced knives. They used to make great blades but the legendary quality is long gone.

I think I mentioned it before but I LOVE my sog eod multi tool I use at work. Every thing folds out smooth and the steel quality is top notch.
  • edited December 2011
    which cold steel models did u try?
    i was afraid some of them wouldnt be too great but i heard that the ones with the san mai 3 blades are supposed to be good.

i took a look at the randall knife website and they are nice but also pricey. right up there with extrema ratio.
    so, which model would u choose for a good all around knife to gut some game?

woah, whats with the 58 month wait for the fishing knives?!
  • This is what I carry:

Benelli m3 plus 10 rounds
    20cm blade handcrafted matagi knife
    Jika-tabi with spikes (traditional workman/mountain foot wear)
    Top/bottom camo from cabela's
    Anti bug bite tights (lots of ticks out here)
    Orange hunter vest full of pockets
    2 way radio
    Garmin GPS set
    Dog leashes
    Gloves/neck warmer/hat
    Water
    First aid kit

I've also got climbing boots, rain boots, , a set of skinning/butcher knives, garbage bags, bug spray, and a bit more clutter back in my k-truck.
  • Man I really want a Matagi knife.

@jikjak: the Yukon Skinner or the Big Game and Skinner will be two ideal hunting knives. $350 for that knife is a bargin. The knives are all hand made and they tell you that not every blade is the same because the blades are hand ground.
  • Agree about coldsteel. We have a master hunter and it dulls quickly.
  • If you're looking for some quality Japanese hunting knives, check this place out: http://www.japaneseknifedirect.com

----
  • Like this one...

It's $900... but, wow, that's a nice knife. Designed by Chujyo-san, hand-ground, hand-polished in Seki.

----