Dog Training Whistle Suggestions?

edited November 2011 in Products & DIY
I want to get a good whistle for training our dogs to come when off-lead. I want one that's durable for hiking. But I don't want a silent whistle (only the dog hears it).

Anyone have any suggestion? Do you use a whistle for training that you like?

Thanks!

----

Comments

• Well, I ended up ordering these 2 whistles...

SportDOG Clear Competition Mega Whistle
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001ULCUJ2

Sport Dog Brand Roy Gonia Special Orange Whistle
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001F0IPM4

----
  • I've got one of these.

http://www.amazon.com/Small-Emergency-Whistle-Survival-Chain/dp/B004Y61BXQ/ref=lh_ni_t

It didn't cost me $6 though. I think it was like, $2. It's a souvenir thing that I've had for almost 10 years now, super durable and extremely loud.
    Conker isn't really trained to respond to it though.
  • That first one looks like a megaphone. Something like this would be good for mei. She likes to run off on hikes. She always finds me but it would be good to make her check in more.
  • I use the Roy gornia model for Hana. It's loud enough for her to hear it while retrieving in the water and works even after getting sand and mud in it.

Good choice Brad!
  • I've just used Fox40 from the boating section of Canadian Tire. I will have to check those out.
  • Oh, let us know which one you like better Brad.
  • I will! I've never used a whistle for training, so I'm excited about it. lol
  • I currently have 2 actual whistles, other then myself (lol):

One whistle is just a common dog whistle but I took out the inner pitch adjustment. It is NOT silent...it's the same kind of whistle that trainers use to "breech" or "mark" desired behaviors in marine mammals.
    My other whistle was given to me by my friend (the owner of Lynx's father). It just looks like a regular common (human) whistle. I haven't spent much time looking at any other models or brands. Eventually though I will be in the market for another whistle but probably not until I get my next Malinois.

Good luck with those, Brad! For sure...let us know how you like them.
  • Agreed, good choices Brad!

I use the Roy Gonia Special clear whistles. I actually own 4 of them. lol. They are super loud and can be heard from all directions which is great if you're trying to recall multiple dogs at once.

The competition mega is typically used for handling retrievers on blinds. It's more of a directional whistle that projects farther in the direction of the dog. It's a better choice if you're looking to get recall on a single dog at greater distances.
  • Have you done any whistle training with Risu yet? :)
  • Nope, not at all. I have not even been able to hike for months! :o(
  • So how does the whistle for a recall training work? is it just the same as training for a regular recall, except that the whistle is the "call" rather than a verbal command? This is kind of an intriguing idea, esp. since Oskar is so interested in sounds....I should play with a whistle and see what he does....
  • I was wondering too if this would be better way to train with a whistle. =) That's why I was hoping Brad would have some input, but I know you (Brad) have been really busy lately =]
  • It really depends on when you start the training. If you start whistle training as a puppy simultaneously with verbal recall training, you'd go about it the same way. If you're starting a bit later in the process, you introduce it as you would introduce any new cue for a learned behavior: condition it as a predictor of the already known cue. In other words, blow the whistle, give the recall command, give a treat. Repeat, adding distance and distraction. It should only take 20-30 repetitions before it's pretty solid.
  • I've got a couple Fox40 whistles that I use, they work well, but I can't say that I have tried a lot of different whistle to see if there is anything better out there.
  • I tried it today with Oskar, and even with the recall cue, he didn't really get what he was supposed to do, but he was very interested, as I suspected (he did think it was a invitation to play, though!), so I think we're going to work on it some.
  • im so jealous of you guys, hiking in Florida is like walking in a desert with the same exact view over and over, or you can go to the everglades and hope no alligator gets your dog. :/
  • One thing I use on taro and yuki is calling them back with a wild boar call. It sounds funny but I use it instead of a whistle so that I don't scare the hogs in the area and the dogs pick up the sound really well.