I lost my first dog :(

edited November 2011 in Other Breeds
Last monday I had to say goodbye to my first dog, whom I shared with my parents.

She was 11 years old, so I guess it really wasn't a big surprise, but the way it ended made if feel so much more awful!

Tulle was a mix breed, very similar to a britany spaniel, and we got her on april 15th 2002. She was supposed to be PTS because her former owners didn't want her. She had lived her first 1½ years shut inside the pig barn. She had never been in a house when we got her, and we are pretty sure she had been beaten too. She never got fully over her past. My parents are not exactly dog trainers, but Tulle had a great life and never needed anything.

The last couple of years she started to get old. She would not be as active and she would sometimes be a bit stiff in the wintermonths. We had actually talked about getting some glucosamine for her, to see if that would help her. She also appeared to loose her hearing, since she stopped barking at cars arriving, something she's always done fervently!
But no major issues really, though we knew it would not be too long before we had to say goodbye.

Last sunday evening Tulle was fine, but monday morning she was laying on the floor, and suddenly I became aware of the fact that she was clawing to get up. The floor is a bit slippery, so initially I thought she just had to have a bit of help, but when I reached her, it was much more severe. She could not use her backlegs properly. It was like she has lost the connection to them. I supported her, and she got up, but kept leaning to the side. She tried to walk forward, but only took a few steps and then toppled over onto her side. Her head was sort of turned a little up and to one side, and her neck was kinda rigid. She again started pawing on the floor trying to get up. I held her down and shouted at my mother to call my father and tell him to get a hold of the vet immediately! Then Tulle insisted on getting up and scurried towards the door. My mother ran along and helped her down the stairs to the yard. I was behind them and I would've told my mother not to let go, but she did. Tulle staggered out on the grass and peed, after which she vomited and toppled over again! I ran to her and tried to comfort her, gently holding her down, when she clawed, trying to get up again. Meanwhile my father had called the vet and she dropped all she had and came racing. My father came home, I was still holding Tulle and talking to her calmly. I was crying already at that point, I knew where this was heading. My father loved that dog so much and when he came home (he was in the far end of our plantation) he totally broke down, seeing her like that. I've only ever seen my father cry once more in my entire life, and that was when I returned Eo to Poland (my old akita for those of you who don't know).

Shortly after the vet arrived, and Tulle was given peace. I truly hope there is a dog heaven, for she deserves to have a happy afterlife with no pain and no worries.

She was a real special dog, with many quirks and strange habits, and that makes her even more unique in my heart. I will love her forever!

A few pics:
Photobucket

With my father:
Photobucket

11 years old:
Photobucket

Comments

• My condolences :(
  • I'm really sorry for your loss. I still remember losing my first old dog, and it wasn't the peaceful ending that I would hope for him, either. I would cry spontaneously for 5 days after he died.

The feeling is probably raw now, but I hope that with time, you and your family will be able to remember how she was before and how so much better she and happier she was because of you guys taking her in all those years ago.
  • Tanja, I am SO sorry to hear about this. Tulle was very lucky to have you there with her at the end.

You have my condolences and you will be in my thoughts.
  • :(
    I'm sorry .
  • I'm so sorry Tanja, tulle sounds like she lived a great life with your family.
  • So sorry to hear about your loss. Thanks for sharing your pictures of Tulle.
  • I'm so sorry to hear this. I'm glad Tulle had a good life with you and your family, though, and thanks for sharing pics with us.

Tulle, run, run. Swift passage.

• sorry for your loss. run free at the bridge tulle.
  • Thank you all for your kind words, it means a lot!

I am so glad that we got the chance to give her a good life. Apart from her total lack of socialization, she was a healthy dog, and it would have been such a shame if her previous owners had euthanized her.
  • Thank you for sharing her story. I am glad to hear she had such a wonderful life with your family. Her beautiful smiles say it all.
  • I am very sorry for your loss. She lived a happy and full life with you and your family and that is all that matters!
  • Tulle looks so beautiful and happy in all those pictures, you can tell she had a great life with your family. I'm so sorry.
  • I read this this morning from my phone, but didn't have a chance to post. I am so sorry for your lost. I'm crying again just opening up the thread. It all brings me back to losing dogs, and how much pain they bring when they pass. I do believe in a Heaven, and I'm sure she's there.
  • My condolences Tanja.
  • Sorry about this Tulle is a beautiful dog. I recently few months ago had put Dink down my catahoula mix so sad. :(

It's hard for first few weeks. It's better now though.

Loosing a pet is always hard, but it happens. Try to remember the good times.

I hope your family handle it well too.
  • I am sorry to hear about Tulle!!! :( my condolences..
  • I'm sorry to hear this. I'm glad she had a wonderful life with you.
  • So sorry for your loss! Losing a pet is such a hard thing.
  • She was lucky to have you and your parents, and because of that, she had a good life. My condolences for your loss.
  • I'm so sorry for your loss, Tanja. :(

It sounds like she had a wonderful life with you guys.
  • It is very difficult when you a lose a friend. I'm so sorry. =[
  • Thank you all. I am very glad that we were so lucky to have Tulle in our lives, she was always a source of laughter and happy moments.
  • I've been thru this several times and it is heartbreaking to the core. Our pets are the purest love we will ever know, bar none. But know that you gave your wonderful dog a wonderful life and for that you can always take some comfort. I hope when the time is right you will allow another wonderful dog into your heart and protect and love him. You will be rewarded for it once again.