Our Kishu-Yuki Okami

Here are some recent pics of our Kishu Ken-" Yuki Okami" About 4 months here.

IMG_3267
IMG_3270

Comments

• Our experience so far has been amazing. Yuki is wonderful with our children, very tolerant. Although he is "mouthy" and licks and gnaws when he is excited to see us, I understand that this is his only way to communicate other then making noise. AND he is still losing baby teeth, so very understandable. Does extremely well in the car and not anxious at all. Carleen at Kishu Ken-nels had him paper trained when he came to us, and within a week he was asking to go out, only a couple of accidents inside because we weren't paying attention. His personality is developing and gives a low "rumble" type growl when he hears noises outside late night, or when strangers approach or pass. He accepted me as "alpha" right away and our bond was almost immediate. We could not be happier!
  • He is already looking like a very well put-together dog! I shouldn't be surprised, but I am (maybe because I'm used to the year-and-a-half long "awkward phase" of my Malamute).

You say he grumbles when strangers go by? Is he rather protective of you versus strange people and/or does he get tense on the lead?
  • I would say he is developing a protective personality. Tense on the lead when it's dark and maybe can sense our "caution"? Not so much during the day when meeting other people/dog owners. I get the "aloof" at those times when he senses we are relaxed. Still skittish around new people and dogs....Hopefully socialization classes will change this. I feel like he takes our lead when he knows we are comfortable he then lets his guard down more. He played very well with my sister-in-law's dog for like two hours straight!
  • Here is a video of Yuki playing with my brother and sister-in-law's dog Teddy.

• i really like how he is so leggy!
  • "mouthy" and licks and gnaws when he is excited to see us"
    Sounds like my shiba Saya she can get mouthy when she greets people she loves.

Thank for posting pictures and video of him. :)

Kenji the kishu is from the same breeder Kenji's owner hasn't posted much lately.. :\

I love looking and learning about kishu.
  • wahhh, he's unbearably cute

I'm not sure if this has satiated my puppy craze yet.
  • @Saya Yeah, I can tell he is being really affectionate. :) Nothing better than when I come home and he gets excited to the point of "bursting" lol. Really so in love with him!
  • @Crispy Haha. I will try to post as much as possible! Thanks!
  • @ttddinh Yeah he is a wrestler for sure! Had lots of fun that day!
  • My two year old Kishu Inu, Tomoe, was very mouthy for her first six months, but she has generally gotten out of the habit. When she meets new people she isn't comfortable passively receiving pettings and attention, and instead licks and noses their hands. She really really enjoys jumping up to kiss people's faces when she knows them. We haven't really been able to train that out of her.

One thing I have learned, but not been able to really work around, is that a tense leash does not calm an energetic dog down. its great that you've got the means to expose Yuki to other dogs, especially indoors. Tomoe wants every dog she meets to chase her at 80mph, and we haven't been successful at getting her used to enjoying other dogs in a less mobile fashion.

There are two things I have learned that i wish I understood when I got Tomoe:

1) These dogs do not fear - they have no concept of it. I could never imagine Tomoe cowering before anything, least of all me. Don't ever bother trying to discipline your dog or even express your displeasure or desire to be the pack leader or whatever. It just doesn't mean anything to a Kishu. If you catch them in the act make a loud noise - this doesn't tell your dog that they are not allowed to do the thing they started to do, it just tells them that there is often a loud noise when they start to do it. That's the best you can do. Tomoe will STILL take that first mouthful of cat food.

2) They WILL figure it out eventually if you are patient and consistent, and you might have to meet them halfway. Tomoe for her first 18 months would never conceive of coming in when I called her. Always had to go into the yard with a leash, probably chase her around a bit, then bring her in. The she got to the point where she would come over to me and sit, and let me put the leash on her and bring her in. NOW she actually will head straight up the stairs to the back door after I meet her in the yard. But - I have to come down and meet her in the yard before she comes in. :)

it took awhile to get her 100% housebroken actually - I think for her, the concept that the basement in front of the sliding glass door was "inside" seemed unfair. But she got it and now she can be generally trusted with an open crate door during the day. Just in general she seems to improve her behavior and understanding of what we need from her gradually over time. It's wonderful.